Appalachian Mountains Passes

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Have you looked at the date of purchase? WVA became a state after the Civil war...way past Swift's time. That area is part of KY now, back then it was Kanawha County, VA. and part of the Kentucky territory. It would not become Fayette County until KY became a state and later on when Johnson county was formed...

Prather has been very thorough, although it is possible he made an error, I tend to doubt it.
Actually, it was during or BEFORE the Confederate War that WVA "was".

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Has the State Boundary Lines moved? There is a whole chain of mountains between Levisa/Louisa Fork of the Sandy all the way over to the branches of the Tug River. I have been all over those mountains. As far as I can tell the mountains Prather speaks of are in Kentucky not West Virginia. Just like McDowell County, WVa use to be part of Tazewell County Virginia. Earlier than 1863 you have to go to Tazewell County Virginia for deeds that are now in McDowell County, WVa. I can't see your point.

1863 Was the year w. Va. became a state. That is the reason for this statement that franklin made.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the land in Johnson Co. was Surveyed in 1785 if indeed Swift bought land in present day Johnson Co. . I was researching to see how much truth there is to what Prather said as much as where the land is. Kentucky was formed From Fincastle Va. Kentucky was divided into 3 counties in 1780. A lot of what Prather says in the video wont hold water. Here is a link to something that deserves a read.

Virginia Formation Maps

The only way to do that is to find the courthouse books and find the land entries, they will be dated and surveyed. Careful not to put the cart before the horse. Remember that his presentation in Prestonsburg was about land in that part of the state that Swift and related people had owned. Buy the book (3rd edition) and many of these land entries are illustrated.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1863 or 1865 ...WVA came way after the supposed time of J. Swift. The land entries in the KY area that Prather speaks of are roughly from 1780-1800. They would have nothing to do with WVA at all... other than some may be found in courthouse books in present day WVA counties. Buy the book, read it, and much of the details will make more sense.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The only way to do that is to find the courthouse books and find the land entries, they will be dated and surveyed. Careful not to put the cart before the horse. Remember that his presentation in Prestonsburg was about land in that part of the state that Swift and related people had owned. Buy the book (3rd edition) and many of these land entries are illustrated.

You need to watch the video again and pay attention to the info available.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The information is specific to the presentation and where that presentation took place.
So what is more important, the book or the presentation promoting the book.
...Or in other words, the product being advertised or the commercial about the product.
...in religious terms, Christ or the Bible.

One tells you about the other, but which is more important?

I have watched that video multiple times since I posted it, but since I do not live in that area I don't have the same point of view that you might.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a major point in Prather's book that is overlooked is most of Swift's purchases of land was for '5 shillings'. Paltry price to pay for such large tracts of land.... something else was going on, the sellers had a debt to pay or the land was a trade for something else. '5 shillings' may have been the minimum price for land transfer. Similar to property transactions done in modern times for instance, when the grand parents sell (give) their car to one of their grandchildren for $1.00 and they go to the clerks office to do the transfer. Money has to change hands for a transfer of property.

Anyway it is something to consider.... anyone want to sell 10,000 acres? I have $5.00 !

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wilderness land was cheap. Not so many years ago land could be bought in E. Ky cheap. Know of 100 acres with house and barn on it that sold for $3700 back in the early 60s . There was plenty more tracks that could be had at that price or cheaper. In the late 70's I know of 125 acres that sold for $3500 unimproved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread