Southeast louisiana

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Hi my names Charles and am fresh out the service and disabled as well, all I do is metal detect and treasure hunt. If you guys have any cool info for me or will let me accompany you it would be a pleasure. I'm rocking the whites spectrum xlt. I can shoot pretty deep with it in mixed mode and have adorned my mother and gf with gold already so I'm a little seasoned.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought I would be doing this after I got out Charles. I love it, you picked a good hobby.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Charles,where in S.E. Louisiana?

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Tangipahoa parish. Kinda close to everything, I usually hunt in Covington but not disclosing my areas, lol. How about yourself and what do you search

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, I grew up in Covington, lived there a little while after I got out of the military then moved across the lake. I look for everything.

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Share spots or what? My brother is a former marine gun bunny , and I was an FO, check some of my pics of stuff I find around here, they're tearing down a lot of homes in old cov.. Prime time MD spots, let me know if you wanna find all pre 40 coins and old bullets, lead toys etc.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Charles. Another south lake, south river, relic /coin liberator, downwind from the Jharhead in uptown Marrero/Gretna area, here. South of nothing!. Hoped to move to Covington after Navy daze '75-'80. Never happened.(yet). If the economy drops another 38% - 43.6% in the premium north shore, I'M there. Welcome.
I've been hibernating for the summer, but will be lurking soon.
Ray

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Just got permission to shoot the old mental institution in old Covington, which is now a giant creepy apartment complex. Spent an hr there and not even a clad coin. Dont know if it's been shot before, but I lost a lb of water weight and nothing to show for it. Back to my batcave to conduct Internet reconnaissance instead of wasting gas and chasing land owners.. If anyone has a spot and needs help hit me up.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a Reale' pictured? Perhaps my best find yet, was a (in good shape) 1802 1/2 Reale' in Febuary. Friend got a 1 Reale a week later, about 50 feet away on some river land within 811 miles of where I reside! LOL. 1832 I think.
It's a little bigger, but mine is nicer! Hope Luke don't see this. LOL
With almost permission! Open ,not posted, vacant land with a string of oaks. A bit awkward filling lesche small holes with 2-3 foot hog craters a foot away. All around the oaks. Those hogs love dem some roots! Surely must loosened something I woulda, coulda, shoulda GOT.
Go Saints
Ray

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Im not too sure due to the wear. But from the details I can see , looks like a 1746 variety 2 colonial coin, can't remember the name right now. But not exactly sure. I also dug up a 1799 hibernian coin not on the site, but I use the 2 as my Texas holdem card protectors. Hehehe. Always makes for good distracting sidebar convos!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Neighbor! LOL! Welcome to TNet, Charles! I'm just across the line in Livingston Parish, in other words just across the river. Have you been over to the Louisiana Treasures Museum yet? Fantastic place full of soooo many artifacts. I have not ventured into Covington, but have detected in Ponchatoula and a little bit in the Hammond area.

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
I haven't made it to the museum yet, and yes we are pretty close.. I actually md'd the old courthouse over there in Springfield to not too much avail As i couldn't do any major digging.. I was searching for the old African American settlement but no luck, I think they built a neighborhood on top of it.. The fort is closed off, nothing near blood river area. So I take trips to old cov and look for the newly torn down houses and have had much luck.. I think what we should all focus on is info on old ruddock and how to get to it, maybe a map that had the layout of all the major facilities there. I've found lat long for the general location. But never made an amphibious attempt yet, but I know it's ripe ! It has to be. When the storm hit and wiped the town out, what happend to the bank and did the bank have a vault, also what about the big money makers doing all the cypress logging.. I personally think it should be looked more closely into. Let me know if you have any info or if interested in my madness. Hehehe

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting to hit Ruddock for quite a while now. I haven't really gotten out there much but it looks to be pretty marshy. I know you can walk down the tracks to the lakeside of the site, but I haven't made that trip yet, maybe this fall when the weeds die back and it's not so hot. One of the problems I ran into is figuring out the exact location. The maps I've looked at aren't really what I'd call accurate, and I can't find any trace of it on google earth.

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
I'm going to visit the guy at the Springfield museum and talk to him about it a little bit, I'm not too sure about MD'ing, but def bottle and relic hunting I've got a good feeling Isaac may give us a helping hand . Good luck all in the south as well. I'm here with you guys riding it out.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan to go hit the beaches after this thing blows over, hopefully Isaac will move the sand around and bring out the good stuff! If you end up planning a trip out to Ruddock, let me know, I'd be into stomping around out there to see what turns up. There's got to be some trash pits at least and I'll bet there's some good relics in the ground.

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Not bad where I'm at right now, but is slowly building up here in tangipahoa. New Orleans is partially out of power I hear though.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stalled a couple times just spinning, worst storm I've been thru because it just wouldn't move. Still waiting for two to report in, where yat Ray?

OP
OP
coinhound1983

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Over here in ponchatoula. Were like the stone rock in a river.. Were dry , full power , Internet , a tree fell on my property. Literally 10ft from a power line. But all good on my end. Thank you lord

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread