Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya GPhillips,

Welcome to TN. I'm over towards the Hammond area.

;) RR

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
GP,

not from your area, but welcome to the
board.

Hang around for a bit and I'm sure you'll
meet some folks from your area.

Hope to see some of your finds.

have a good un..........

relic$hunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2006
Denham Springs
Detector(s) used
MineLab’s
XP Deus
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Greg
My name is John Kelley and I live in Denham Springs I have been hunting for about 4 years if you still need a mentor let me know.
I would enjoy bringing you along with the guy's I hunt with.
We are Civil War buffs!

PCSOF8

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2004
HARAHAN, LA.
Detector(s) used
MINELAB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HEY GPHILLIPS.
MY SPECIALTY IS SPANISH COLONIAL COINS OF THE 1715 FLEET. SOMETIMES THE AREA COIN SHOWS POP UP WITH SOMETHING INTERESTING. NICE TO HAVE A LOCAL IN ON THE HUNT. MAYBE SEE YOU AROUND.
PCSOF8

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
I'm new to this as well and in Baton Rouge. I have tried a couple of parks and found some small change and went once to the beach on the Amite River at Magnolia Bridge. Found some small change there as well. Let me know if you want to go out and hunt sometimes. Shane

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello gphillips. I just signed up on this forum. I don't know how I got listed as a "newbe" unless it refers to my forum status. I'm in your area and have been detecting on and off for about twelve years. Done some relic hunting along bayou Lafourche several years back and picked up some civil war relics from battles and skirmishes.

OP
OP
gphillips

gphillips

Nov 24, 2006
baton rouge
Detector(s) used
B H
gphill here, man i havent checked this board in a while. I did some hunting around bayou manchac and found alot of relics. I live in Galvez and know a little about the history. I try to md at least twice a month. But hve yet to find anythig of real value. I would be honored to swing the stick with any of yall one day.

gonepecan

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2007
I'm also a newbee to this forum and live near Baton Rouge. I've had a MD for about 4 years now and hardly use it; mainly because I never really learned how. At first I thought it might be defective but I think it is me that is the problem. It has way too many knobs and settings. It is a Tesoro Bandido II umax. Can someone direct me somewhere to learn how to use this thing properly? An old friend of mine, that I don't see any more, has been MDing for years and has found all sorts of relics; including gold coins, and he was unable to tell me anything about the MD I have. He used a very old White MD, I think it was and he had marks-a-lot , marks to set all his knobs. He never made any adjustments to his MD unless the knobs had moved from his marks.

Without giving too many clues, I know of a place that still probably has relics left over from the Civil War - all of them would be Confederate though. The place is heavily wooded now but the problem is that quite a few homeless people live in the woods - mainly alcohol and drug addicts. I tried the site once by myself but finally left after coming across a camp site with a makeshift tent and a camp fire. I could hear them talking all around me off in the bushes. I assume they heard me and went off and hid. I had a pistol with me but I decided it was best that I leave without coming into contact with any of them. A few dead bodies have been found on the site.

I grew up near this site back in the 1960's and although I never found anything, not that I was looking, I can remember some of my friends that lived near to the site showing me plenty of mini-balls and even a few small caliber cannon balls that they had found in the area. One friend even had what I would guess was the handle from a sword. It was quite corroded and probably of little value but it was easy to tell what it was. All of these items were found on the surface which was strange but it finally dawned on me why? My friends had maybe a year before started raising a few pigs and obviously the pigs had rooted around and brought these things up to the surface. There must still be relics in the area. It once was a large cotton plantation and I can just barely remember the old house before it was torn down in the early 60's.

Don't know if it will help, but for the poster that lives in Galvez; I read a fairly new book not long ago from the library about the history of Bayou Manchac. The Lady authors last name was Sternberg. Plenty of maps etc. A well traveled area from prehistoric times till about the 1930's. A very interesting book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread