St. Tammany Parish New Guy

Diver_Ben_0131

Greenie
Nov 4, 2007
Hello fellow Louisianians ;D my name is Ben and I'm 20 years old, i also live in Slidell, La.

I am very new to metal detecting and i have never owned an md so as of now im still researching which would be best for me and my low skill.

I was wondering if anyone around this area would be glade to research with me around the area and learn a lil bit more of the history then kinda of help me get started on actually searching the areas.

Nice to meet all of you and hope to see yall around. have a good day

Chemo Warrior

Oct 29, 2007
Baton Rouge
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Ben I'm Scott from Baton Rouge. Just got my first detector. Garrett Ace 250. I've had it less than a week and have found it pretty easy to use. I'm still learning the difference between trash and treasure so I dig everything.

OP
OP
Diver_Ben_0131

Diver_Ben_0131

Greenie
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies i have been looking at maybe a bounty hunter or that ace 250.

Chemo Warrior

Oct 29, 2007
Baton Rouge
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ben I have an Ace 250 but am far from an expert on them. I have read that the work well on dry sand but not good in wet sand. I've only used mine in my own yard so far. I'm finding it to be pretty user friendly. It takes a little practice to figure out. I dig everything that beeps and use my finds to better understand the detector. There is tons of info all over the internet on both detectors you mentioned.

OP
OP
Diver_Ben_0131

Diver_Ben_0131

Greenie
Nov 4, 2007
i see potential problem with the ace 250 then, because around this area (south louisiana) there is plenty of soft/wet sand and soil. Does it only not work good in wet sand? thanks for info btw

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben,

Welcome!

Diver_Ben_0131 said:
i see potential problem with the ace 250 then, because around this area (south louisiana) there is plenty of soft/wet sand and soil.

I live near the Springfield (off I-12) area...between you in Slidell and Chemo Warrior in Baton Rouge. I own an Ace 250 and have not had any problems with mine considering our soil. In fact, I find more stuff after a rain than in a dry spell. I did a beach hunt in Biloxi with no problem, I knew not to go in the water or water edge. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me here.

;) RR

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
The Garrett Ace 250 is a good beginner detector, and easy to operate. From my limited experience, Minelab products are the top of the line. Please note there is a learning curve with all detectors. The higher end models are more demanding, but they do have more potential. Tesoro Tejon is a good middle range detector with deep readings, but it is a TONE only unit. There are some very good under-water detectors made by Mindlab, Garrett etc. and Tiger Shark has had very positive reviews. I would stay away from the Radio Shack and Walmart stock. Regardless of what detector you start with, try to begin hunting with an experience metal detectorist. If you want to drive to Concordia Parish or have a good place to hunt in your area, let me know. My hunting partner and I have extra detectors for you to use before you purchase your own. Please be aware, these things can be Addicting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread