To our Moderators....please consider this....Magnet Fishing Thread?

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tnmountains!....that's great to hear!
I was posting in another thread, that I helped derail, which went a little sideways, and was hoping I wasn't getting the silent treatment....
Anyhoo....

I hope this has legs, and is considered by our esteemed Moderators.
Thankyou!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for initiating the discussion, BigWaveDave. I'd like to see this, even though I haven't done any magnet detecting so far...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.... I got to thinking about magnets, and looking at mine I noticed that when you drag the magnet with the big eye bolt, you're hitting everything with the back of the magnet first, and even if you do knock it loose of the mud you're already going past it by then. The side with the steel cover on it doesn't have the same grip as the exposed side, so even if it does try to stick to that side, the lowered strength and surface area cause by a big bolt in the middle means you just don't have enough grab to get a lot of relics.

So I took my 400 lb magnet and made an aluminum bar with an angle to it so when I pull it in to shore I'll have the full gripping side down to grab whatever I run over. I used a stainless steel shackle from a deep sea fishing rig to attach the para cord to keep it from wearing against the hole in the bar. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll take it out in an hour or so when it cools off a bit outside.

I've also got a wider 200 lb magnet that with the eye bolt I think is fine for dropping straight down, and I think I'l leave it as is for now....

mag1.jpg New experimental set up
mag2.jpg standard magnet with eye bolt....

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yeah, I'd like a forum for magnets, it would make sharing tips, tricks and ideas much easier, plus it would be fun to see what everyone is dragging out of the muck

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every public place around here has been stripped of the last wheat pennies and 1964 silver Roosevelts. Magnet fishing is the final frontier for people who don;t want to metal detect on the Moon.

Great idea, and great hobby!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So.... I got to thinking about magnets, and looking at mine I noticed that when you drag the magnet with the big eye bolt, you're hitting everything with the back of the magnet first, and even if you do knock it loose of the mud you're already going past it by then. The side with the steel cover on it doesn't have the same grip as the exposed side, so even if it does try to stick to that side, the lowered strength and surface area cause by a big bolt in the middle means you just don't have enough grab to get a lot of relics.

So I took my 400 lb magnet and made an aluminum bar with an angle to it so when I pull it in to shore I'll have the full gripping side down to grab whatever I run over. I used a stainless steel shackle from a deep sea fishing rig to attach the para cord to keep it from wearing against the hole in the bar. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll take it out in an hour or so when it cools off a bit outside.

I've also got a wider 200 lb magnet that with the eye bolt I think is fine for dropping straight down, and I think I'l leave it as is for now....

View attachment 1357537 New experimental set up
View attachment 1357539 standard magnet with eye bolt....

Hey Ken got a quick question or comment. I haven't tried this magnet fishin' yet but am REALLY interested. Now I totally get your point about the powerful magnet and hitting the back of targets while dragging with an eye hook. But here's my question.... When you throw the setup with the aluminum bar setup how do know it's right side down or up? You made me think and I totally get your point for trying to better it.

Would some type of "small" flotation "thingy" attached help keep it upright when descending to keep its orientation correct...? And maybe that's just something else to get caught upon by underwater debris?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you build it, they will come.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope the moderators allow it!! I purchased a couple magnets. However, I'm not sure what to do except chunk them in. I would love some advice

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that magnet fishing is gaining popularity in Europe, tie a rope to your magnet, and drop it off a bridge....no telling what you'll find.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ken got a quick question or comment. I haven't tried this magnet fishin' yet but am REALLY interested. Now I totally get your point about the powerful magnet and hitting the back of targets while dragging with an eye hook. But here's my question.... When you throw the setup with the aluminum bar setup how do know it's right side down or up? You made me think and I totally get your point for trying to better it.

Would some type of "small" flotation "thingy" attached help keep it upright when descending to keep its orientation correct...? And maybe that's just something else to get caught upon by underwater debris?

I thought about that too. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet because I got rained out the other day. My thought is that with the bar being angled, it will want to be aligned with the angle of the rope when I start pulling, and the weight of the magnet will keep it pointed down. Also as it sinks, the rope will have some drag and the magnet should pull it down the right way.... I rounded the end of the bar to have less chance of it getting wedged against something too. I don't think it's any more or less likely to get snagged on something though, and I really haven't come up with a good solution for that. I'd be interested in any ideas.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you might want to look into rare earth magnets. They are very strong. They are also expensive and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought about that too. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet because I got rained out the other day. My thought is that with the bar being angled, it will want to be aligned with the angle of the rope when I start pulling, and the weight of the magnet will keep it pointed down. Also as it sinks, the rope will have some drag and the magnet should pull it down the right way.... I rounded the end of the bar to have less chance of it getting wedged against something too. I don't think it's any more or less likely to get snagged on something though, and I really haven't come up with a good solution for that. I'd be interested in any ideas.

Your setup is going to work very well. In fact I've wanted to build 100% the same design for a while now but haven't gotten around to doing it, but we have used a very similar idea before. The only drawback is that it's somewhat strange to throw these things, and don't forget that the back of the magnet also attracts metal :D

Don't do the floaty thing, the most important is weight and getting down into the mud, which is why we prefer heavier magnets.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I work with has a set up, it would drag you down the road if you hooked it to the bumper of the 18 wheeler! Make the section for magnet fishing, I vote Aye!

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word to the wise, put the magnet in a plastic holder so that everything you bring up can be easily removed from the magnet.

Not sure what you think you will find with a magnet, but there will be millions of rusty fish hooks, 2.5 tons of iron filings, and all sorts of rusty crap.

Sorry, but the angle bracket looks like a great way to lose a magnet..

there are these.
29fqctu.jpg

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About the same magnet you have and the eyebolt sticks out the bottom of mine and the sides with the steel, like you said, have low attraction. I'm having problems finding and I both that leaves my magnet flush on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a magnet fishing forum would be an excellent addition. I always watch Bainsey's and get a real kick out of what he finds.

Magnet fishers seem like a dedicated group, therefore I believe they would keep their own sub forum busy

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I got my magnet in, bought some rope and gloves. I bought some loctite to try and secure the eye bolt, but it doesn't seem to work that well. What do you guys use? I may try superglue? I really hope we get a magnet fishing forum. Anyway, I'm gonna try to go next weekend. And will report back here.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loctite worked for me...a thin layer on the threads of the eyebolt, then lock down the eyebolt as strong as you can with a torque wrench.....you should be ok.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a magnet fishing forum would be an excellent addition. I always watch Bainsey's and get a real kick out of what he finds.

Magnet fishers seem like a dedicated group, therefore I believe they would keep their own sub forum busy

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me....that, and go Pats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread