BUT WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ALL ABOUT ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i'm looking at this particular magnet and in the description it says "buyer is responsible for all state and local laws" what the heck ? i can go to jail for magnet fishing now ? what dept of government oversee's this ? i may as well stay home in bed ! yeah ! yeah thats the solution i'll stay in bed and dream about it ? cant break any laws that way ! cheaper too ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be wise probably for you to call that outlet back and ask that exact question. I have purchased many magnets for fishing and have never encountered that notice.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
this was in regard to shipping. so there must be problems encountered during shipping ? but it should'nt be my fault. the package should have some kind of warning labels ? or packaged properly ?or,or,or ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most all come packed in massive bubble raps with plastic spacers. A lot of care must be taken when you unpack them because they are strong and will pull things in in a flash and if part of you is inbetween and it gets caught you will hurt. I was a couple weeks getting over a pair of pliers off my work bench flying up and cutting my little finger. Magnet to magnet is more strong and will hurt you even more. I do understand the warnings they put with the package.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
thanks for the fore warning bowwinkles. sounds like a first aid kit is also a necessity with this hobby ?

Apr 7, 2014
MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Garrett AT Pro
i'm looking at this particular magnet and in the description it says "buyer is responsible for all state and local laws" what the heck ? i can go to jail for magnet fishing now ? what dept of government oversee's this ? i may as well stay home in bed ! yeah ! yeah thats the solution i'll stay in bed and dream about it ? cant break any laws that way ! cheaper too ?
Ha! You are under arrest for removing rusted waste from this stream and making the world a better place, while minding your own business.

I haven't had any issues before but maybe they are just covering their own butts just in case, so they can't get sued.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has more to do with HOW it is shipped. Depending on the strength of the magnet, it may not be legal for it to be air shipped or carried on a passenger-carrying aircraft. There are very strict international rules on magnets, chemicals, and other hazardous materials.
Strong magnets can affect equipment in an airplane.
Banned items
The following items are completely banned from aircraft, and should not be brought to the airport:

Explosive and incendiary materials
Flammable items
Gasses and pressure containers
Matches
Oxidizers and organic peroxides
Poisons
Infectious materials
Corrosives
Organics
Radioactive materials
Magnetic materials
Marijuana (cannabis)

In order for magnets to be shipped by air:
For air shipment purposes, magnets are considered "dangerous goods". As such, the International Air Transport Association's (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) must be followed.
Flux measurements of all packages containing magnets must measure less than 0.00525 gauss 15’ from the package. If flux measurements are less than 0.002 gauss when measured 7’ from the package, the package is not considered to contain magnetic material, and hence is not classified as Dangerous Goods. However, unless the package is extremely secure and there is no chance that the contents will shift or that shielding will be damaged in transit, it is safer to proceed as though the package falls under the DGR.
Packages containing magnetic materials must be clearly identified according to Packing Instructions 902. This calls for a "Magnetized Material" label to be affixed, and for a Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods to be provided to the carrier.
Personnel responsible for shipping magnets by air are required by the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) to be trained for that purpose and for those training records to be maintained. Contact your carrier for more information and guidelines.

Magnets in any case are forbidden by the IATA from being in carry-on luggage.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By knowing the laws its a matter of local laws. We have a lake here in Claremore that is also the local drinking water. You are allowed to fish, magnet or otherwise, but you are not allowed to get in the water physically. Sounds crazy I know but because its the local drinking water there is no swimming or wading in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions