Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By nomad 11
  • 3 Post By releventchair
  • 4 Post By bowwinkles
  • 1 Post By boogeyman
  • 1 Post By Bum Luck
  • 1 Post By kenstein
  • 1 Post By Kace

Thread: ROPE ON SALE AT MENARDS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    nomad roman numeral 2

    Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    846
    389 times

    ROPE ON SALE AT MENARDS

    so I went there to check it out ? 3/8 x 150' for $3.99 when I looked closer it was rated at 140 lbs didn't say what it was made out of ? and out the door I went.
    Kace likes this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

    May 2012
    11,083
    13983 times
    I am a fan of braided nylon.
    Seldom on sale of course.

    What matters along with breaking strength ,(how about shock strength? l.o.l.) is choosing a knot that offers greatest strength , as the knot can often be the weakest point.
    Kace, Bum Luck and searching 4 like this.

  3. #3

    Nov 2012
    999
    717 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I prefer the hollow braided poly rope in the 250 lb range. It does not hold water and dries very fast and after you bring it home and do a brief clean up it is ready to go for the next trip. I just use a garden hose and a standard spray nozzle to clean the rope and magnet and then apply a bit of liquid car wax to the magnet, wipe it clean and it is ready to go and does not rust.

  4. #4
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,884
    2231 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    www.atwoodrope.net About midrange prices. They even have glow in the dark rope! Got some of the 3/8ths for a project in the bright orange with a black stripe and I can see it from a mile away. We compared it to my friends climbing rope & the only difference we could see was about $100 and a certification.
    Kace likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  5. #5
    us
    Kace

    Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    1,385
    2836 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I use string line rope most all of the time. VERY STRONG. You can get it at any contractors supply store.

    Kace

  6. #6

    Nov 2012
    999
    717 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    I use string line rope most all of the time. VERY STRONG. You can get it at any contractors supply store.

    Kace
    I tried the string and para cord on my first Home Depot/Harbor Freight style magnets and found it lacked the girth and was to thin for any comfort when pulling in anything heavy. The Poly braided rope has a bit of mass and is far more easier on the old hands at the end of the day. The poly will dry quickly also. String line is rated pretty low in tinsel strength and it is surely not my choice to have an expensive magnet attached to and being thrown into the kind of environment that we magnet fish in.
    Last edited by bowwinkles; Nov 08, 2018 at 12:29 PM.

  7. #7
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,884
    2231 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    I tried the string and para cord on my first Home Depot/Harbor Freight style magnets and found it lacked the girth and was to thin for any comfort when pulling in anything heavy. The Poly braided rope has a bit of mass and is far more easier on the old hands at the end of the day. The poly will dry quickly also. String line is rated pretty low in tinsel strength and it is surely not my choice to have an expensive magnet attached to and being thrown into the kind of environment that we magnet fish in.
    When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it! Get on the link I left above they've got way more than you'll find at the box stores. Try the 3/8 stuff you'll like it! Try a piece, tie your knots as usual, but stitch through the knots with upholstery thread using a sailmakers or packers needle. Works excellent for anchor ropes too! Give it a try you won't lose a hook again!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  8. #8
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    3,215
    858 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    I am a fan of braided nylon.
    Seldom on sale of course.

    What matters along with breaking strength ,(how about shock strength? l.o.l.) is choosing a knot that offers greatest strength , as the knot can often be the weakest point.
    I agree. Most people seem to have an aversion to learning knots, but they are your greatest servants. Take the time to learn them and they might save your life someday. They certainly will make life easier.
    Simon1 likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

    "You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

  9. #9

    Nov 2012
    999
    717 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it! Get on the link I left above they've got way more than you'll find at the box stores. Try the 3/8 stuff you'll like it! Try a piece, tie your knots as usual, but stitch through the knots with upholstery thread using a sailmakers or packers needle. Works excellent for anchor ropes too! Give it a try you won't lose a hook again!
    If you google "string line" it shows pictures of the mason twine-carpenters twine, Maybe I just do not know what string he is describing.

  10. #10
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3,884
    2231 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    If you google "string line" it shows pictures of the mason twine-carpenters twine, Maybe I just do not know what string he is describing.
    Thanks! That's what I thought he was talking about. I can't use para cord can't grip it & sure wouldn't to wrap it around my hand. Either way hats off to him if he's using it!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  11. #11

    Sep 2012
    N.E. Texas
    Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
    477
    432 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think the He is a She.
    Kace likes this.
    We've all got holes to fill, and them holes are all that's real. Some fall on you like a storm, sometimes you dig your own. Townes Van Zandt

  12. #12
    us
    Kace

    Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    1,385
    2836 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    [QUOTE=boogeyman;5986443]When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it!

    No...I'm talking about the line that excavation companies use to set grade for roads and curbs. It's Usually white in color and is Extremely Strong, Dries Quick and Does Not Snap like some lines or ropes and rarely if ever tangles. Since it's designed to be used and re-used over and over outside, it doesn't wear out easily. I have no idea without looking at the boxes what the composition is.

    It is not large in diameter...I use it on anchors and canopies too. I'll throw a high dollar magnet with this line any day.

    Knowing how to tie good knots is a benefit for sure and this line doesn't loosen easily like some do.

    Kace

  13. #13
    us
    Kace

    Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    1,385
    2836 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenstein View Post
    I think the He is a She.
    You are correct ken!

    Kace
    kenstein likes this.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Menards Hori Hori type Gardem Knife
    By Hot Rockin in forum The Tool Shed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 22, 2018, 10:12 PM
  2. Old rope
    By hmmm in forum Shipwrecks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 06, 2017, 08:47 PM
  3. .... Get a rope ..
    By CapitalT in forum Rocks/Gems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 01, 2015, 11:43 AM
  4. Finds at Menards.
    By choo in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0