Magnet fishing for the first time. 1st shot of me on here.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By HuntH2002
  • 1 Post By bowwinkles
  • 1 Post By Tnmountains
  • 2 Post By HuntH2002

Thread: Magnet fishing for the first time. 1st shot of me on here.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Hunter

    May 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    1,240
    2343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Magnet fishing for the first time. 1st shot of me on here.

    May 30 - Back at the river again! Completely packed ever since the Covid lockdowns eased in the few past weeks. The temperature was perfect and I decided to give my 1200lb neodymium magnet a first try. After 2 hours of paddle boarding with my dad and brother down the Guadalupe, we come by a spot of interest we’ve been many times in the past. The west point pepperell dam and its former riverside hydraulic pump house. The defunct river mill built NE of the dam was built in the mid 1920s and is currently being held up for auction with a proposal to transform the mill including the pump house into a mixed-use entertainment district+restaurant.

    Aside from the history here is a first photo of me standing on a platform by the pump house. v
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3E1D21C-BD59-48C3-845F-ABB06D60BC95.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	649.7 KB 
ID:	1838087

    Another photo of us. Dad took the photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B278D7D9-1FF5-4290-B181-014B3E672005.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	632.0 KB 
ID:	1838088

    In this 1 hour evening hunt I brought up a few cool items v
    I apologize if some labels are unreadable

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79583D25-ECCA-438C-9224-6E642BEE7AD5.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	704.4 KB 
ID:	1838089
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59ADF8F3-FD56-4732-A6E8-2CBCE83AACAF.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	1838090

    Do hope to check back later this summer. Happy hunting and Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F46D07D3-E117-4F71-A226-F4D2C3559BD8.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	802.7 KB 
ID:	1838091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3595F374-9B27-4F72-B5C6-7648D629CBD1.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	1838092  

  2. #2

    Aug 2020
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntH2002 View Post
    May 30 - Back at the river again! Completely packed ever since the Covid lockdowns eased in the few past weeks. The temperature was perfect and I decided to give my 1200lb neodymium magnet a first try. After 2 hours of paddle boarding with my dad and brother down the Guadalupe, we come by a spot of interest we’ve been many times in the past. The west point pepperell dam and its former riverside hydraulic pump house. The defunct river mill built NE of the dam was built in the mid 1920s and is currently being held up for auction with a proposal to transform the mill including the pump house into a mixed-use entertainment district+restaurant.

    Aside from the history here is a first photo of me standing on a platform by the pump house. v
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3E1D21C-BD59-48C3-845F-ABB06D60BC95.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	649.7 KB 
ID:	1838087

    Another photo of us. Dad took the photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B278D7D9-1FF5-4290-B181-014B3E672005.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	632.0 KB 
ID:	1838088

    In this 1 hour evening hunt I brought up a few cool items v
    I apologize if some labels are unreadable

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79583D25-ECCA-438C-9224-6E642BEE7AD5.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	704.4 KB 
ID:	1838089
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59ADF8F3-FD56-4732-A6E8-2CBCE83AACAF.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	1838090

    Do hope to check back later this summer. Happy hunting and Thanks for looking!
    Those are some interesting pictures. Nice.

  3. #3

    Nov 2012
    1,558
    1544 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    As you found out there is a lot more to magnet fishing than finds. You get to see a lot of interesting areas to maybe find that pot of nickles. check a bit down stream because it appears to have times where there is swift water and what ever is dropped will travel a ways b4 it ends up on the bottom.

  4. #4
    us
    Apr 2011
    Wyoming
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, DetectorPro Headhunter & BlissTool
    1,054
    1327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Neat place and looks like y'all had fun.

  5. #5
    us
    Brian

    Sep 2012
    Murrieta, CA
    Minelab CTX3030 and Minelab Excalibur
    150
    211 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    What do you think about the magnet that you used? 1,200 lbs. of pull sounds like a lot. I am 6'4", 200 lbs. and fairly strong. I would like to buy a magnet the right strength, but there are so many opinions out there. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

  6. #6

    Nov 2012
    1,558
    1544 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by califteacher View Post
    What do you think about the magnet that you used? 1,200 lbs. of pull sounds like a lot. I am 6'4", 200 lbs. and fairly strong. I would like to buy a magnet the right strength, but there are so many opinions out there. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    I would start of in the 500 or under range and u will quickly see that it will pull most every thing in that u want. I recently was given a 1200 lb double sided magnet and it was like throwing a car engine out over and over due to its size and weight. It basically took the fun out of the sport. I have gotten a 500 lb magnet stuck on a metal dock support and had to use a tool to finally get it off because I could not pull it loose by the rope only.
    HuntH2002 likes this.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,680
    9324 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice finds! I have several magnets to fish with. Found some really cool items. I see the gold and the silver items. How did you snag those. They are usually copper then plated. Teach me something new! lol Nice hunt.
    HuntH2002 likes this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

    All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

  8. #8
    us
    Hunter

    May 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    1,240
    2343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    Nice finds! I have several magnets to fish with. Found some really cool items. I see the gold and the silver items. How did you snag those. They are usually copper then plated. Teach me something new! lol Nice hunt.
    Just quick fashion accessories, copper/brass plated iron. There were no marks on them. I find these new at walmart for 75˘
    Tnmountains and Halogen99 like this.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,680
    9324 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntH2002 View Post
    Just quick fashion accessories, copper/brass plated iron. There were no marks on them. I find these new at walmart for 75˘

    Ha thought maybe you had a new secret. I have found a safe face down in 6 feet of fast current.I can not move it and think of it often.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

    All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. My first time magnet fishing (Funny!)
    By Coinboy in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2020, 05:00 PM
  2. First time magnet fishing, what did I find??
    By Steve008 in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep 02, 2019, 10:55 PM
  3. Magnet fishing...?
    By controlfreq in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 14, 2018, 02:03 PM
  4. New to magnet fishing
    By Newdetector in forum Magnet Fishing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2017, 08:18 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2015, 02:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0