question about magnet fishing from party boat

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am going to buy a 22 foot party boat in the next few weeks. My wife and I am interested in magnet fishing.

Ok magnet fishing I understand. But I want to snag some gold and silver necklaces or bracelets. I wonder about putting some small hooks on the magnet or just some small hooks on a heavy piece of iron and troll the swimming areas.

I even thought about getting a metal rake and heating it up and bending the teen of the rake in to curved hooks so that when you raised it, the items you snagged would not drop off.

Any ideas better than this or even why it might be a waste of time.

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a fishing boat and capt says time to reel in and we are moving and your magnet is stuck on something...u done lost it, cuz they ain’t waiting for u to get it unstuck, Just saying.

JoeCrow

Greenie
Aug 30, 2019
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discriminator RB5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the rake idea. you could been some of the tines backwards, too - in case it wants to flip the wrong way. Or weld two back-to-back.
I would also suspect that if you attach the line to a single, center point the rake may sluff around a target - maybe attach the line to a "V" out of more line that then attaches to the rake at both opposite ends.
You won't know till you try!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get an Excal and a hookah rig or scuba and do it right.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is my 22 foot sun tracker party boat and I am the captain.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't see it working. Too many things on the bottom of lake, both man made and natural. Also uneven surface. Most of the good stuff wouldn't be on the surface. And once you got it stuck, which would happen quick, you probably wouldn't be able to get it unstuck without breaking it.

I hope I'm wrong! Sounds like it would be relatively easy/cheap to try.

One other thought... it would need to be wide enough that it doesn't flip over, so wider than a metal rake.

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried the magnet but I have used a rake...

If you know an area that a necklace was lost a rake might help find it. I have a long handle rake that I've added steel mesh and hooks to it. My detectors have a hard time finding a necklace without some other item on it like a pendant. Its hard work just dragging the rake around a lake...so you need to have an idea if something is there...I was able to snag a nice heavy gold necklace using it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread