To Use a Carabiner or a Knot?

botard89

Jun 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, first post here. I feel like this question may have been asked a million times, but I wanted to ask and explain my thought process/experiences.

I ended up buying a kit recently to start out the process of magnet fishing. So far, just found fishing hooks and bread ties, haha. The way my setup is now is magnet, carabiner, rope. I notice that the carabiner often "clinks" to the magnet underwater and gives me a false "got something."

I was wondering if tying a knot (as long as it's a reliable one) would maybe be a bit better with figuring out if I've actually locked on to something. Would this be a suggested tip in magnet fishing? I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this and maybe how they have theirs setup. Thanks and Happy Hunting.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use the knot after some events with the carabiner that was uncomfortable. There is a special knot for the fishing magnet that most use. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

botard89

Jun 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use the knot after some events with the carabiner that was uncomfortable. There is a special knot for the fishing magnet that most use. Good luck

Ooooouuuuch. I think I know what you are talking about. I've had a few close events that thankfully I didn't get hurt from. I've went with a figure 8 knot and hopefully that will do. A Palomar is another knot alive heard is good.

Hoping this rain goes away soon so I might be able to go out and do a little bit of magnet fishing today.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The word "Carabiner" caught my eye....!