Maps and Research go together!

D

Daveman

Treasure Hunting has been in my blood for years. For an enjoyment that unsurpassed most other outside recreation and even for me in retirement, I still go out equipped with a map and my trusty old metal detector. Now I live in America and I found an excellent place to get maps for treasure hunting! This
website has become the place to go for quality, clear and sharp color maps of every description. From 19th county maps to civil war maps----its all there. Prices are very reasonable These images have been printed from the originals in most cases and offer a wide world of unique possibilities....Treasure trove. Many of these maps are from very rare original maps.

Just go and browse this website: HTTP://www. MAPS-OF-THE-PAST.COM

For Newbies to the world of Metal Detecting, Gold prospecting and Treasure Hunting, I like to pass on a little bit of my worldly experience in this forte. For about forty years I have been metal detecting, from the foreshore of the Thames river in ancient London where I was born, to the jungles of Belize (at the time British Honduras. For 22 years I worked on passenger ships and travelled around the world, taking many types of metal detectors. I have found gold nuggets in the California, Mojave Desert, Medieval and Roman Coins in England and pieces of Eight in Mexico. My biggest prize ever was a Charles 1st gold touch piece that I found on a public common in London, near the Tower of London. None of these finds would have been possible without research. Yes. It's a lot of work! It takes time, but in the end it's worth the patience to check out the old documents. Nothing is worse than meandering about for hours, and not locating anything, but a rusty nail. My research has gleaned for me hundreds of pre-decimal coins in England, hundreds of old American quarters, barber dimes and pennies. Research is the answer to all your searching. Treasure Hunting today is still my main hobby, but I never chart any course of action without a positive found in the contents of a old map. Historical maps are precious and hard to locate. When I brought my first computer some months ago, and hooked up to the Internet I discovered a brand new Utopia of Treasure Hunting information. Web sites abound giving helpful hints, tricks and clues. For me one of the greatest treasure troves I found, was on Ebay auctions and stores. People sell old maps on this great website. Hundreds of them go up for auction every day, at realistic prices. Getting on board is easy and simple to navigate around this unique website. But for my research, their is a small map company called, MAPS OF THE PAST (MOTP.)" Easy to get too. Find the Ebay website. Find the Ebay store listing for Maps of the Past. This company now has a website. Type exactly as is: HTTP://WWW.MAPS-OF-THE-PAST.COM. Hundreds and hundreds of scarce, unusual maps, that offer many, many clues to lost or forgotten treasure sites. The maps they sell are spectacular and at great prices too. These are really old maps dating back to the early 19th Century. They cover every aspect of historical mapping, from early state maps, county maps...down to township maps. These old maps show very clear details of ancient sites, vanished towns, stage coach halts, old settlements. They even identify the pioneer who owned that piece of earth. Thousands of clues can be extracted from these exceptional reproductions. Research is my real treasure. Locate something on this rare old county map, then find more clues to your pot of gold at the library, historic society or other place of interest. Read about genealogy because both have information that may lead you to a forgotten fortune.

Happy Treasure Hunting,

Dave C

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks, that is a great site....Do you or anyone else know of any others? I am looking for some civil war maps to overlay present maps. If anyone has seen places I can get some of these from please let me know.

Thanks Again

raterry

Feb 11, 2005
What I have found to be a good help is the main library of your county. While you may not find maps there for civil war battles, encampments or forts, you will find out if there were any occurances within the area you would like to hunt in. Then a stop to your county offices and find out which department handles the maps of that county. The reason I say this is because I have found that some counties have a different structure on who handles what information. But once you find who is in charge of the maps, you will find that they also have maps going back several years.

K

Kentucky Kache

Thanks for the link. It's now in my favorites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread