Civil War maps of Southwest Louisiana

kgillard

Oct 9, 2006
Hi,
I'm new to the metal detecting world and can't wait to use my new Whites DFX, so please bear with me. I'm looking for any information concerning maps of civil war battles that occurred near southwest Louisiana, namely: Niblett's Bluff or Calcasieu Pass (Monkey Island). That's the only two battles that I'm aware of that occurred near my residence in Lake Charles, LA. Thought it may be a couple good places to start at. Thanks in advance for any help.

Karl Gillard
Lake Charles, LA

Flyboy

Greenie
Sep 13, 2006
Mcallen Tx.
Hey Karl,

I do not know of any Civil war sites in the Lake Charles area, but I bet that you could give that DFX a workout at the beaches and the old schools and parks. I would bet the fields where contraband days fest. is held would be loaded with clad coin. I would also check the old houses in the garden dist. good hunting!

clint T.
ps. yes its me. its a great hobby, im hooked.

OP
OP
K

kgillard

Oct 9, 2006
Hey flyboy,

Sounds like your pretty familiar with the area. Are you from here? Still here now? I just got the DFX a couple days ago. Went outside my house and found 11 old pennies in about 20 minutes time. Didn't really know what I was doing, but it was fun anyway. Wife got mad and told me to quit digging up the yard (HA!HA!).

There were two civil war sites that I know of in the area: Niblett's Bluff and Calcasieu Pass (Monkey Island).

Feel free to give me shout at [email protected] or you can call me at the Ward 3 Marshals Office (337)491-1304, M-F, 8a-4:30p. Look forward to hearing from you.

Karl

Flyboy

Greenie
Sep 13, 2006
Mcallen Tx.
Hey Lt.

Its Clint Thompson here, Im glad that you are in the detecting hobby. I am hooked. I keep a jar with everything that i find that is of the slightest valve, coins, junk jewelry stuff like that.
I travel alot so when im home the detector gives me something to do. I guess that you have retired from the PD? I do miss the people there.

I did hear of a Civil war site in the Merryville La area. It could be the same as Nibblets bluff but im not sure. I know that they would have a re-enactment everyyear in the Merryville township. Im sure that you have all ready considered this but if the troops on both sides had to have camped somewhere and as with any military unit im sure the troops would have discarded the extra weight.

I will give you a call sometime and pass info. I have not found anything that great, alot of pull tabs and some coins and cheap jewelery. I do have fun with it and it is relaxing. I hit the old schools and parks. i found a Indian head nickle last week.

take care
clint thompson
email at [email protected]

OP
OP
K

kgillard

Oct 9, 2006
Hey Clint,

Been a while since anyone called me Lt. Had to get used to being called Chief. I sent you an email which will explain everything. Take care and look forward to hearing from you again.

Karl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread