Beers map abbreviations?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Beers map abbreviations?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Beers map abbreviations?

    I cannot find a legend or abbreviation list for the D. G. Beers maps anywhere including on the dang map. Can anyone tell me what S.S and S.H (school house?) stand for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE4B36CB-2DDB-4E8F-A968-8745FB1D24CC.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	1832896
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    Dec 2017
    NE Ohio
    Garret ACE 300
    944
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    SH is usually schoolhouse. I don't know about SS, but one time I threw out that it could mean steam sawmill. The problem was that it appeared on maps that were made before steam sawmills were in use.
    HeatherM likes this.
    "God does not give us everything we want, but he does fulfill his promises,
    leading us along the best and straightest paths to himself" -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  3. #3
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A friend told me it could mean survey stone? How boring.
    Noah_D and ANTIQUARIAN like this.

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

    Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    9,965
    15463 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Could it possibly mean 'Stage Stop', similar to today's 'bus stop'?
    They look to be a few miles apart.

    Dave
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

  5. #5
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTIQUARIAN View Post
    Could it possibly mean 'Stage Stop', similar to today's 'bus stop'?
    They look to be a few miles apart.

    Dave
    Hmmmm, never thought about that....

  6. #6
    us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    716
    1859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Noah D is right about S.H. standing for School House, however I have another theory about what S.S. could mean. I have noticed that on a lot of old maps, especially Beer's maps, if an owner had a lot of property in one area of town, the owner's name would be written once, and then after that just the owner's initials would be written.
    Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldMapSection.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	1837620

    H. Hoadley owned a lot of land in this part of town according to the map. H. Hoadley was put once, and then after that just the initials "H.H."

    So maybe "S.S." stands for the owners initials.

    I hope this help!
    Last edited by VTColonialDigger; May 30, 2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Mackaydon likes this.

  7. #7
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by VTColonialDigger View Post
    Noah D is right about S.H. standing for School House, however I have another theory about what S.S. could mean. I have noticed that on a lot of old maps, especially Beer's maps, if an owner had a lot of property in one area of town, the owner's name would be written once, and then after that just the owner's initials would be written.
    Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldMapSection.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	1837620

    H. Hoadley owned a lot of land in this part of town according to the map. H. Hoadley was put once, and then after that just the initials "H.H."

    So maybe "S.S." stands for the owners initials.

    I hope this help!
    Interesting! That is very useful knowledge. I will check the map again and see what the nearby owners names were. I'm just learning how to interpret the old maps and they can be very frustrating!! I feel like I keep getting nowhere and all I want to do is find some new interesting places that haven't been detected to death!
    VTColonialDigger likes this.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    20,877
    15295 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Any chance your map is part of one showing Versailles, Kentucky; and also showing the Clear Creek Baptist Church?
    Don.....

  9. #9
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Any chance your map is part of one showing Versailles, Kentucky; and also showing the Clear Creek Baptist Church?
    Don.....
    It is… don't be stealing my spots!

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    20,877
    15295 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You may wish to contact the Woodford County Historical Society and ask them.
    Phone: (859) 873-6786E-mail: woodfordkyhs@gmail.comon Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WoodfordKyHistory
    They may also be able to refer you to the local historian.
    Don.......

  11. #11
    us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    716
    1859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherM View Post
    Interesting! That is very useful knowledge. I will check the map again and see what the nearby owners names were. I'm just learning how to interpret the old maps and they can be very frustrating!! I feel like I keep getting nowhere and all I want to do is find some new interesting places that haven't been detected to death!
    If your're looking for new sites, another tool that is really helpful for locating new sites is Lidar. It shows elevation of the Landscape. It is done by state, I see your're in Kentucky, I don't know, but they might have it. It is great for locating cellar holes. It takes a learning curve but a tip is that cellar holes show up as small squares. Look in remote/wooded areas and you might find a cellar hole that isn't marked on any maps, these are usually the old ones.

    If you do a Google search for "Kentucky Lidar" you can probably find out if they have it or not.

  12. #12
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    You may wish to contact the Woodford County Historical Society and ask them.
    [FONT="]Phone: (859) 873-6786[/FONT][FONT="]E-mail: woodfordkyhs@gmail.com[/FONT][FONT="]on Facebook:[/FONT][FONT="] https://www.facebook.com/WoodfordKyHistory
    They may also be able to refer you to the local historian.
    Don.......[/FONT]
    I'm actually headed there next week to buy a few maps so I'll see if they know.

  13. #13
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by VTColonialDigger View Post
    If your're looking for new sites, another tool that is really helpful for locating new sites is Lidar. It shows elevation of the Landscape. It is done by state, I see your're in Kentucky, I don't know, but they might have it. It is great for locating cellar holes. It takes a learning curve but a tip is that cellar holes show up as small squares. Look in remote/wooded areas and you might find a cellar hole that isn't marked on any maps, these are usually the old ones.

    If you do a Google search for "Kentucky Lidar" you can probably find out if they have it or not.
    Thank you for the tip. I have been trying to learn to recognize cellar holes/foundations and old roads like on google earth and it has not been easy. Maybe it will be more noticeable on that site. i'll check it out tonight!

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

    Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    20,877
    15295 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    After Mr. Sellers died in 1887, his farms were sold at public auction.
    This source may give you an idea as to what the "S.S." may mean.
    https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1566...ucky-advocate/
    Don......
    Noah_D likes this.

  15. #15
    us
    Apr 2020
    Central Kentucky
    Garrett ATPro
    71
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    After Mr. Sellers died in 1887, his farms were sold at public auction.
    This source may give you an idea as to what the "S.S." may mean.
    https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1566...ucky-advocate/
    Don......
    Dang, you're good!!
    Mackaydon likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. some more beers
    By gleaner1 in forum Bottles & Glass
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2017, 03:24 PM
  2. Abbreviations & Slang (of metal detecting) A Comprehensive List
    By MichiganMan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr 05, 2014, 08:03 AM
  3. Speciality Beers
    By LifeNRA in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
  4. Dog Beers!
    By Jim 2.0 in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
  5. Has anyone ever suggested a glossary of terms and abbreviations???
    By Sniper1K in forum TreasureNet FAQ/Feedback
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 03, 2009, 09:11 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0