What book do you recommend?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the best book out there today is --...american machine made marbles by dean six-susie metzler and michael johnson...isbn # 0-7643-2464-0
the valueing of marbles with common marbles is tricky...watch ebay and garner some info that way but martble values go up and down wildly...someone can find a cache of rare marbles and flood the market so say last month you bought a marble for $50 and someone found a hundred of em and let em out too fast ...your investment just took a hit...if you can attend a show in your area thats the best way or get to know a collector in your area..never ever buy a marble as an investment...9 times out of 10 youll never get back what you paid for it...if you like it buy it but never expect to make a killin .....flea markets are a good place to find good old marbles by payin 10-20 a quart for marbles is good just make sure theyre not foreign marbles or beat up too bad to sell....its fun-- but many newbies lose interest fast when they got a bunch of 100$ mibs worth about 10$....

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Collecting Antique Marbles Identification and Price Guide by Paul Baumann

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Because of the down market, marble books that list a value may not be accurate. I have looked through some marble books, but much of my learning has been through online sites. Alan's Marble Connection is an online site that is very informative. It lists most manufacturers and gives a history line on them and you get to look at examples of each companies marbles.

I go to Alan's site when I want to check something, and then go to sites that sell marbles to get a rough idea of value.

You can also find out about marble shows near you and can learn more at the shows.

Good luck!

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Two really good marble collecting books..

..are 'Marbles:Identification & Price guide' by Robert Block and 'Marble Collectors Handbook' by Robert Block. My only beef with marble collecting books is their photos heavily dipict the very best,most valuable marbles. Wonderful to look at but what am I most likely to find digging up old dumps? Akro Agate in business from 1914 to 12951 was the most prolific producer of antique marbles. Just a guess but I think they may have produced such a dizzying variety of marbles that it's impossible to catalouge them all. I dug up an Akro couple days ago that might be a hybrid.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
i own the books mentioned and the book i talked about gives great history and details no other book today offers....the blocks books are almost worthless for prices and baumans book is ok for high grade marblers and rare examples....get the american machine made marbles book...you wont be dissapointed....

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I think you're right..

Third book I bought was 'Collecting early machine-made marbles' by Robert Block. Oops,it only covers M.F. Christensen and Christensen Agate Company. Which means it's totally useless as re all other antique marble company's marbles. Plus the prices the book quotes are ridiculous. Anyone paying $2,000 or more for a marble needs a space alien anal probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread