Digging up marbles every day..

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I've been working an old dumpsite just outside of Trona,Ca next to Death Valley. I drive out there daily at around 9:30am. Get off the paved highway then drive a mile over dirt roads to the excavation site. It's hot out here in August. An eleven year old boy died from the heat several days ago just up the road from Trona. It was in all the newspapers. Even the Drudge Report. I'm digging three to four feet down to find the good marbles. Am finding mostly old Akro Agate and Ravenswood Novelty Co. marbles. Most are in wet/pristine condition. At various depth are other artifacts. This morning I dug for twenty minutes. Quit before tyhe heat killed me. Found two antique marbles. One is a Ravenswood 'chocolate swirl' marble. Darn thing's pretty. Buried beneath it I pulled up a brass case several inches long. It is marked 'Justrite'. It once held carbide for the miners' lamps who worked the dozens of gold and silver mines which bracket my area of the desert. There are tens of thousands of artifacts buried out here.

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Here's the article..

Lke the article says,twenty miles from where I live in Trona,Ca. This is why I have the artifact-digging-site all to myself. It's so dangerous out here in the desert in summer only nutcases or people knowing what they're doing come out here. I dress in what's basically a full-body suit when I go to the excavation. Loose-fitting 100% cotton garmets including hat,gloves and water-soaked bandana. Even then when the temp here hits 130F things get iffy fast.
=============================================
TRONA • An 11-year-old Las Vegas boy died after his mother’s car became stuck in sand for five days on the way to camp in Death Valley.

Carlos Sanchez and his 28-year-old mother left Las Vegas for a one-day camping trip to Death Valley on Saturday, according to a San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department report. National Parks Service Rangers and the San Bernardino and Inyo County Sheriff’s Departments began to search for the pair after the Las Vegas Metro Police Department filed a missing persons’ report on Wednesday.

Rangers found the Sanchez’s car approximately 20 miles east of Trona on the north border of the China Lake Naval Weapons Center on Thursday, according to the sheriff’s report. The mother and the family dog were found alive in the car, but Carlos had died of apparent heat exposure, according to a San Bernardino County Coroner’s report. The mother was airlifted to the Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas for treatment. The mother told deputies that her son died on Wednesday, according to the sheriff’s report.

The Sanchez’s car got a flat tire on the way to Death Valley, but the mother was able to fix it. However, the car later got stuck in sand after hitting an animal burrow near China Lake Naval Weapon Testing Station, according to a San Bernardino County Coroner’s Office report.

The Sanchez’s hiked to a tall peak to attempt to get cell service after they got stuck, but could not get a signal, according to the sheriff’s report. They then walked back to their car and awaited help. The Sanchez’s took 24 16-oz. bottles of water, Pop Tarts and cheese sandwiches for the camping trip. They had no supplies left when they were found, according to the sheriff’s report

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Don't be in the desert at night..

It's cooler during the night. That's when all the poisonous critters come out. Plus you've got meth freaks,drunks and old women driving 1959 Cadillacs at breakneck speed. The site I excavate during the heat of day,at night if you use a UV light will show you a literal sea of poisonous and PO'd scorpions. I've had to strip nekked several times while excavating when I uncover a nest of scorpions. The buggers are fast and run up my pantslegs. Takes me several minutes jumping & cursing to beat them to death with my shovel. I go to extremes to get those antique marbles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread