Are there small,cup-shaped cotton buffing pads?

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Something that would fit on a Dremel Moto Tool. I need something other than the standard Dremel buffing/polishing pads to shine marbles using syringes of nano-partical diamond abrasive compound. Dug marbles run the gamote from 'wet' condition to nasty. I have a huge amount of partially-melted dug marbles,marbles w/ blemishes,sandstorm-blasted marbles,etc.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
not that i know of...lots of people get hand polishing pads...they come in different grits...after awhile its easier but it would seems tedious at the start...i know lots of people that have marble polishing machines and therers plenty of em for sale....also you could find a rubber tipped mandrel thats concave at lapidary shops that would fit on a drill and use the grits in a piece of leather ....

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Found a marble polishing machine..

$200 is'nt bad. But I can see this is'nt something I'd insert a marble into then walk away for a cigarette. The machine can remove nicks,pits,etc. which tells me it can remove TOO much glass unless one is very careful http://www.landofmarbles.com/mibmach.html

OP
OP
M

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Tumblers don't work on marbles..

I've got a Lorton rock tumbler. Couple years ago I figured it'd work snazzy for polishing-up a bunch of partially melted antique marbles I had dug up. Two days' tumbling turned the marbles into bits of colored gravel. I'm going to try diamond paste compound on a plain ol Dremel cotton buffing pad today and see if it works.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
good luck....if you want to polish marbles...get some hand polishing pads or one of those machines...the machines take several hours to get a final polish...theres lots of steps to it ...several different grits ....theres people who specialize in it.....a dremel goes way too fast to accomplish what you want......youll end up with facets and flat spots....to polish a marble is a very tedious endeavor.....you can clean em but to get the fine wet surface takes a lot of time...and practice and several types of polishing agents.....the first step takes it down to a scratched up ball....patience is really a virture in this.....why do you suppose they made those machines....its been tried by practicaly every marble collector...me included and believe me or not, its hard and not much fun....like i said...good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread