Sulphide Marble

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
you can use different grids of sandpaper to very fine......get some jewelers rouge too may help....i know people that can repair it very reasonably...can you post a pic...if the damage is too deep it maybe unrepairable....a polished marble holds little or no value to a collector....dont use a rock tumbler...itll turn it into an egg....

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
duffytrash said:
you can use different grids of sandpaper to very fine......get some jewelers rouge too may help....i know people that can repair it very reasonably...can you post a pic...if the damage is too deep it maybe unrepairable....a polished marble holds little or no value to a collector....dont use a rock tumbler...itll turn it into an egg....
the marble is really damaged Duff.. almost every spot on it is chipped..must have been well used ... I can't even make out what is inside the marble I just know it's a sulphide.. I bought it hoping to polish it an sell it in my booth ..what do these go for? I bought it for 1.00 but the guy said he didn't know marbles.. I just knew it was a sulphide an I didn't think a 1.00 was to much for a sulphide...

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
anybody that you would think would give you the 40-50$ that its worth would not after its polished...the reason is that collectors go for origional finish and those sulphides have pontils and to restore it would remove that .....if its a real rare figure you might get 25 if a common figure inside maybe 10$....its prob. worth restoring you might have a rare one but if you do it yourself its gonna take a looooog time...the restorers have machines that do it for a fair price....after that it will have a good surface but the size will be less and no pontil....you would take the chance that its got fractures and it could fall apart...you could sell it but you would have to disclose that its polished....you could tell that its pol;ised under magnification...and the buyer would prob check it.....with all that beign said either polished or not 10-25$

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
duffytrash said:
anybody that you would think would give you the 40-50$ that its worth would not after its polished...the reason is that collectors go for origional finish and those sulphides have pontils and to restore it would remove that .....if its a real rare figure you might get 25 if a common figure inside maybe 10$....its prob. worth restoring you might have a rare one but if you do it yourself its gonna take a looooog time...the restorers have machines that do it for a fair price....after that it will have a good surface but the size will be less and no pontil....you would take the chance that its got fractures and it could fall apart...you could sell it but you would have to disclose that its polished....you could tell that its pol;ised under magnification...and the buyer would prob check it.....with all that beign said either polished or not 10-25$
I bought it hoping there was a rare sulphide in it.. I seen one fracture in it lastnight when I was looking at it trying to figure out what's in side it.. If I left it alone do you think 15.00 is to much to ask in my case?? I will heading to work soon.. If I remember tonight when I get home I post a pic..but think of worse case sernio an you will probly picture exactly how this marble looks..lol

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
you could try that creeper!!!...maybe a newbi marble collector will see it or a glass polisher...a seasoned collector wouldnt buy it imho.... you could try and put a window in it so you could make out the figure in it...try puttin in a glass of water you might be able to see whats in it....

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
If you put it in a bowl of water or glass of water you can see what it is no matter how fractured it is.
ksmith

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
wheelerite said:
If you put it in a bowl of water or glass of water you can see what it is no matter how fractured it is.
ksmith
well I tried this an still can't make it out to be 100% sure but I am guessing it is either a polar bear or a elephant... I can't get a good look at the head to be sure...

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
barnyard animals --chickens,etc are the most common....wild animals lions elephants are less common and if they are in an action pose they go for more.....the next factor in determining the value is that the figure is centered or not.... a sulphide way off center is not worth much...if its a bear its not necessarly a polar bear thats just the color of the mold....

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
duffytrash said:
barnyard animals --chickens,etc are the most common....wild animals lions elephants are less common and if they are in an action pose they go for more.....the next factor in determining the value is that the figure is centered or not.... a sulphide way off center is not worth much...if its a bear its not necessarly a polar bear thats just the color of the mold....
I think it is pretty much centered.. I would post a pic but it wouldn't help much.. like I said before the marble was well used...

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
There is a guy on the forum allaboutmarbles.com named richsantaclaus. He re-melts marbles for a very very reasonable price. I never sent him any of mine, but I have seen his work and it looks great. It counts as a repair still, but it doesn't remove material and it re-fuses fractures together.

OhioFinds

Oct 15, 2012
lorain, Ohio
Detector(s) used
My eye's, hand's, and occasional shovel!! Basically, just my sixth sense!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly love this site, if I keep reading all of your guy's/gal's post's, I may just be an expert by the end of the month
!! lol :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread