Handmade German marbles

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Here are a few. Sorry the one pic is blurry.
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, cheese!

Beauties, every one. Mo'betta photos, please, sez moi. Backstories are in order, too. Wow!

handmade_marbles_box.jpg

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
That's a nice set you posted there Surf! Are those yours? Super nice!

I already packed mine back away. I may pull them back out and re-take pictures later. Hopefully soon I will have a big curio cabinet and I can unpack my collection to put it on display. I don't have any interesting back story on these. Some I purchased through the years, others were given to me as gifts at Christmas or birthdays.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1075.JPG DSCN1076.JPG DSCN1077.JPG DSCN1078.JPG

Here's a few more!! I dug my first ones doing gardening work as a child about 10-11 years old in 1957-58. Then I went snooping around some old fallen in rotted houses in my neighborhood and found a bunch more in my teens, including a hundred or so in cigar boxes and tins in three abandoned buildings. About twenty came from my grandparent's house where my mother remembered leaving them as a child. I started bottle digging in earnest at 13 and my mother would drive me around to all the antique stores to sell my bottles. If the owner didn't wish to pay cash for any bottles, but had the old handmade marbles I'd often trade bottles for marbles. I found more excavating a huge bottle dump in the woods. Bought a few too, over the years but haven't bought one in probably thirty years or more now. They are still among my favorite things I own today. There are so many patterns and colors and they are amazing little examples of glass makers' art. I was in the last generation around here where we played marbles at school and yards. I always wondered as a child why the marbles we had were no where as pretty as those my parents and grandparents played with. Of course the machine made marbles were round, and rolled a lot better than the handmade ones with their pontilled ends.

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa gunsil,

There's some beauties! If you are feeling extra generous and have the time, I'd love to see more photos. It looks like you have a couple large sulfides in the mix. I've always wanted to dig one, but as of yet…

WilmerMaltFalc1941Trailer.jpg

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wow Wow Wowser! That's one nice collection of swirls!! I love the lutz. Some really super looking onionskins there too!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1080.JPG DSCN1081.JPG DSCN1082.JPG

Here ya go Surf!! Having a hard time getting my camera to focus, even on macro. There are some nice clam broths, a couple more Lutzes although the gold doesn't show well, a couple of indians, the large slag swirl is rare. The sulfide rooster is a beater I dug, the horse is fine but that was a trade on bottles. Maybe if I try to photograph them singly I could get better focus but that would take all day.

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pile I sold on ebay over the summer

DSC05035.JPG

Some others I sold this summer

DSC04957.JPG
DSC04961.JPG

here is a jelly core I had Rich (Santa's Bling) repair for me.
DSC05130.JPG

I had rich repair severla that were beat so bad they looked like balls of shipped clouds :)

But...I always gotta toss out my favs...MARBLE KINGS !!

DSC05811.JPG

I love my Marble kings !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread