A few marbles for ID please

Starree

Greenie
Jun 19, 2013
Hello everyone!

Thank you for looking at my marbles. My mom gave me bags full of marbles, mostly cats eyes but there are some more interesting ones in there too. Here are some I've taken pictures of. I've loads more but didn't want to overwhelm you all :)

edit : In the third picture I accidently included the wrong marble in the larger picture. The one with the '9' shape is a different marble then the one with the 'V'

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
There are some old ones here.
The brownish ones in the first pic look like some kind of brick, but there seems to be some translucence in some of the glass?
The next pic of the chipped up red and white one is an akro corkscrew snake.
The next one is a chipped up MFC swirl, hand gathered.
The next one is definitely a brick. Probably MFC hand gathered, but it has significant damage.
The last one in the first post is hard to tell, it looks like it could be a peltier with a "ying yang" swirl.

In the second post, looks like the dark blue one is maybe a hand gathered transitional marble. The light blue one is hard to tell, likely champion.

That's my take on them.

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1st pic is all Jabos
Need to go to jabo land to get the run name.
Akro cork is an Snake Onyx
next is an Imperial
next, maybe a brick, need closer pics as I think it is also an Imperial
Pelt, with a twist. Couldn;t call it a yin/yang since it is a single color. Also, his twist is a scissor issue, can see the roll marks
I have a bunch of yin/yang, but located only 1 photo
Untitled-2.jpg

The dark blue looks like a messed up Navarre

Light blue is new. It could be champion or contemporary. Glass is flawless making me think hand made modern, size would help

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
That 1st pic is all Jabos
Need to go to jabo land to get the run name.
Akro cork is an Snake Onyx
next is an Imperial
next, maybe a brick, need closer pics as I think it is also an Imperial
Pelt, with a twist. Couldn;t call it a yin/yang since it is a single color. Also, his twist is a scissor issue, can see the roll marks
I have a bunch of yin/yang, but located only 1 photo
Untitled-2.jpg

The dark blue looks like a messed up Navarre

Light blue is new. It could be champion or contemporary. Glass is flawless making me think hand made modern, size would help

You guessed imperial on those MFCs?
On the twisty pelt, it's not a cutter issue because I can see the two seams. The twist is not at either one.

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only 1 marble
The larger image does look MFC, the rest, to me, does not.

1 see a seam and then the twist where the other seam would be on the orange one.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
There is only one in each set of pics except the first one with the jabos I think, but then again, the brick pics don't all look to be of the same one now that I take another look. Still, I don't see imperial in any of them. When I say MFCs, I mean the brick and the one shown just before the brick.

On the pelt, the two bottom pics show the 2 seams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Starree

Greenie
Jun 19, 2013
There is only one marble in each set of pictures. I thought it would be easier to group them like that. The 4th picture accidentally has 2 marbles though. The brick that you are referring to is the one in the upper left and lower right? It is a little larger then the other marble. Is it better to take the pictures with a ruler or something for scale? I don't have a caliper to measure the marbles.

It is a sunny day here today so I will try to take some more pics in the natural light. This was my first time taking pics of marbles. It's quite challenging!

Thank you all for sharing your expertise!!

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
The Red and White is a Transitional Handgathered type. Note the shear mark. The blue and white is a Japanese transitonal type. They had poor glass temps so you ended up with narly shear marks and creased marbles.

Attachments

• bluewhitemarble.jpg
    bluewhitemarble.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 113
  • redwhitemarble2.jpg
    redwhitemarble2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 125

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
There is only one marble in each set of pictures. I thought it would be easier to group them like that. The 4th picture accidentally has 2 marbles though. The brick that you are referring to is the one in the upper left and lower right? It is a little larger then the other marble. Is it better to take the pictures with a ruler or something for scale? I don't have a caliper to measure the marbles.

It is a sunny day here today so I will try to take some more pics in the natural light. This was my first time taking pics of marbles. It's quite challenging!

Thank you all for sharing your expertise!!

The 4th picture is the one with the brick that I suspected had more than one marble in it. Thanks for confirming that. I also agree with Road Dog about the red/white swirl being transitional instead of MFC like I first said. I knew the blue one was, but missed it on the red/white one.

OP
OP
S

Starree

Greenie
Jun 19, 2013
I'm learning so much from you all. I just looked up transitional marbles for more info and this site Transitional Marbles explains those two marbles perfectly. The red and white is a pinch pontil transitional and the blue one a crease pontil transitional. Now I suppose I have to wonder if the red and white is from the Christensen Agate Company or made in Canada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread