Help with vintage marbles...

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inherited a bunch of random collections and odd things about 10 years ago or so and this was part of it. I don't know anything about marbles so any input would be fantastic!

IMG_3971.jpg IMG_3972.jpg IMG_3977.jpg IMG_3986.jpg IMG_3991 Marbles.jpg IMG_3998[1].jpg

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice groups, benningtons, handmades, akro agate corkscrews, Peltier, mineral spheres, peewees and what looks like a bullet mold marble. Looks like a oxblood or two also......Joe McDonough

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yes, the brown spotted ones are benningtons. The group to their right is German handmades. The green group is mixed. The group to their right has a nice peltier NLR superboy, a silver oxblood, and some other ones that rate a closer look. Bottom left is clays and ball bearings. The one with the ring around it is probably an old dried out rubber ball. Bottom right is mineral spheres or agates. Close inspection is needed to tell if they are old or newer.

OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you joesmarbles and cheese. Oh my gosh cheese, I think you are right about the rubber ball, it is hard but has a slight amount of give when I push hard. I had no idea, it was in the container with the rest of the marbles.

I could be wrong but my guess is that they are older knowing they came from a lady in her 80's to me about 10 years ago. She didn't have any kids and she collected just about everything. She also had things that were passed down to her from previous generations. She was actually a serious hoarder and it took months to clear her home after she passed.

I guess my next step is to find someone to take a look at them in person. Any further suggestions would be great. I would love to understand what I have and find someone who will enjoy them in the end as obviously I can't tell a rubber ball from a marble. :laughing7:

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Don't worry, you're not the only one who's been fooled by a old rubber ball. I just picked one out of a marble collection that I recently acquired. They get hard and look like some of the old marbles, so.... :D

Yours are definitely old. I don't think any of them are newer than 1930s or so and they date back to late 1800s. The mineral ones could be an exception, or not, I'd have to look them over closely to get a better idea.

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some very nice marbles!! I'm wondering if anyone here has any thots on what the orange mib in pic #4/3rd row down/3rd from left is? It is very striking to me.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yeah, they are tough to photo for sure. It does look like an akro. Not a run-of-the mill one though, I think it might be a very early corkscrew. Good marble!

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That marble was striking from afar - beautiful close up!! (good photos by the way!) Now I'm curious about others too. Third pic: top row, far rite - does it look like it has aventurine? And any ideas on same pic: 2nd row, middle? Also, fourth pic, 2nd row down, #1 and #3? (First looks to be translucent?) I can't be of much help for I.D., but if you have the chance would love to see close ups. (I just love everything marbles!!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not forgotten. I am unfortunately out of town on a family emergency but will follow up when I return.

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not forgotten. I am unfortunately out of town on a family emergency but will follow up when I return.

Hope all turn out ok with the family and look forward to when you have the chance to follow up with pics.

OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the VERY delayed post. Unfortunately my mother was in an accident and passed away two days after my last post so I pushed everything aside for a while.

I am taking better pictures and getting them uploaded today so stay tuned...

Here are the Green Marbles again with two angles of each. Let me know if you need it even closer of any of the specific marbles.

Attachments

• Green-Marbles-Image-1.jpg
    Green-Marbles-Image-1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Green-Marbles-Image-2.jpg
    Green-Marbles-Image-2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the Colored Marbles again with better images for the entire group with specific marbles per drizzlermibs request. Let me know if you need it even closer of any of the specific marbles. The one on the top far right is a dark clear red.

That is all I think for the requests but let me know if I missed something.

Colored-Marbles-Image-1.jpg Colored-Marbles-Image-2.jpg

Colored-Marbles-Image-3.jpg Colored-Marbles-Image-4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MORE Vintage Marbles Not in Original Post

Well, here are some more that were not in my original post!

Each set of two are two different angles. Let me know if there are any specific ones that you need to see a better picture.

Blue Group
Blue-Marbles-Image-1.jpg Blue-Marbles-Image-2.jpg

Blue-Marbles-Image-3.jpg Blue-Marbles-Image-4.jpg

Random Color Groups (Some are for sure vintage but the last few I am not so sure.) ???

Random-Color-Marbles-1.jpg Random-Color-Marbles-2.jpg

Random-Color-Marbles-3.jpg Random-Color-Marbles-4.jpg

Random-Color-Marbles-5.jpg Random-Color-Marbles-6.jpg

Thanks for your help...

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wow, sorry to hear about the accident, my condolences.
Nice photos of the marbles!
The green ones top row is just a clearie with no way to attribute it to a maker or timeframe. Next is a Alley, last is an Akro corkscrew.
Second row: Master, probably Akro slag, Master.
Third row: Probably an Alley, and a lined crockery marble. The lined crockery is probably the more valuable of the lot.

On the colored marbles, first row: Vitro, Peltier NLR spiderman, and another unknown clearie.
Second row: All Akro corkscrews
Third row: Maybe a Peltier Peerless Patch, Akro corkscrew, Akro slag
Fourth row: I can't tell if that's a solid agate marble or glass. Next is a very nice Akro silver oxblood with eggyolk I think. Last is probably a Master.
The best of that group is the Silver Oxblood, worth a fair price. The center corkscrew in the row of three corkscrews is very nice and worth a little too, and the Peltier spiderman is worth several dollars.

The blue group: All are blue benningtons except for the first one in the row by itself... that one is an old Akro slag.

In the random color group, it looks like most all of them are modern except for the milky one with the green ribbon. That one is another Akro corkscrew. The last group is mostly newer cateyes.

Nice group! I'd say the Akro egg yolk oxblood is the best and most valuable of the group... It has such rich oxblood coloring that I could see it bringing $50-$100.

OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you so much!

The white "agate marble or glass" looks like clear glass in the middle with a lot o white swirls but I don't know and it is difficult to photograph.

White-Marble-1.jpg White-Marble-2.jpg

The Akro Egg Yolk Oxblood is the so pretty in person and is much more rich in color, especially the oxblood color, than I have been able to capture with a camera.

Oxblood-1.jpg Oxblood-2.jpg

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Uh-oh, I see some damage on that akro oxblood. That hurts it a good bit as far as value but still worth some money. The brick colored one on the other end of the row with the white one is the one I couldn't tell if it was glass or agate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread