Made a Gamble and Bought a Jar-o-Marbles I Know Nothing About

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the title says, I ended up taking home a large glass jar of marbles this past Saturday. I'm usually selective about what I buy but some sales have enough interesting stuff to make me take risks.

This was in an upstairs bedroom in a house that was built in the 20s and owned by the family for over 75 years. The 10+ kids names on the walls recording height was a good indicator these were played with for many years but I have no idea what they are.

I've pulled out some of the more interesting looking "shooters" and some of the smaller size marbles. I tried to identifying some but it's nearly impossible.

Some have bubbles in the glass, both solid white marbles are out of round and appear handmade. The black ones are solid and no light passes through. Others are quite large and the biggest is about 1 1/4" in diameter.

The tiny ones in the bottom middle are the smallest with some no bigger then a pea. That are almost exclusively clear glass with an aqua tint to them. I would guess there is about 250 marbles overall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 61

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hi BigCaddy64,

Looks like a group mostly from the 1980s or so. The multicolored cateyes are Japanese. Some of the solid colored cateyes are Marble Kings. The speckled ones are Vacors or Megas (imports). The white ones with patches of color are Vitros. The grey and white swirls could be Alleys and old (1940s probably), not sure. The brownish one with green stripes is a Peltier and is older also. I don't see any handmade ones in the lot. I see a blue swirl that might be an old alley, and some yellow and white ones that I can't tell what they are. The black ones with colored stripes are imperials. In the first pic at top left are some clear ones with colored strings in them... can't tell for sure from the pic what they are. Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread