1 1/2" White marble with letter 3 unknown

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is possible Victorian billiards 3 ball. Made from elephant ivory. The 3 on it is an old style writing so still looking for the date of the writing. The triangle at the end of the 3 is hard to find that kind of marking. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prove this might be ivory.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Looks like maybe stone or ceramic? Could be a mill ball but the smooth surface reminds me of the pop balls we had when we were kids. They were coated with some kind of material that would spark and explode with a pop like the stuff in cap gun caps. You would toss one up while holding the other in your hand and let them hit when you catch it. They were ceramic balls underneath once all the exploding coating was worn off.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg it could possibly ivory. Not sure but these are found in the same area.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg The test with the red hot needle did not melt the ball. Any more test that I can do. Let me know thanks.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yeah, with the updated info and pics, I'd say it's not what I was thinking of. I think some old well pumps used stone or ceramic balls as check valves, could be something like that.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billiard 3 ball. I don't really know what it's made of but could be ivory.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Need some opinions on this. I did the red hot needle test. Looks ivory to me. What do you think? The only place I can find a 3 like that is billiards.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg
Okey I tried to make this easier. I did both test and the 14 ball put off a really bad smell but the other did not. The needle for the 14 ball melted in about 1/4 inch. I hope you can see the 3. It weighs about a pound or two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is confirmed an ivory billiards ball. Opinion from a person who makes billiards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread