One of my marbles from the desert.

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have a marble here that I found out in the desert and was hoping someone might know a little bit about it. I am completely ignorant when it comes to marbles, although I believe this one is called a "Shooter," amongst other things. I was going through some of my bins of rocks today and thought it would be interesting to learn a little about it, if possible.
It's hard to see in the pictures, as my camera sucks, but it has darker blue swirls in it, aside from the main sky blue color. It's noticably damaged in a couple of places, although only on one "side." I'm assuming it had been lying around out there for some time, as the edges of the chips have been smoothed out and there are no sharp edges.... I was wondering though.... Is it common for someone to actually smooth out the sharp edges of chipped marbles themselves, as a way of extending it's life? As I said, I know basically nothing about this stuff at all.
Anyhow, any info is appreciated, and I thank you in advance. Take care. J IMG_20200601_170839995.jpg IMG_20200601_171054932.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_171009302.jpg
    IMG_20200601_171009302.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 71

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool some can be worth alot Cheese will know

Last edited:

stephaniekadman

May 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have a marble here that I found out in the desert and was hoping someone might know a little bit about it. I am completely ignorant when it comes to marbles, although I believe this one is called a "Shooter," amongst other things. I was going through some of my bins of rocks today and thought it would be interesting to learn a little about it, if possible.
It's hard to see in the pictures, as my camera sucks, but it has darker blue swirls in it, aside from the main sky blue color. It's noticably damaged in a couple of places, although only on one "side." I'm assuming it had been lying around out there for some time, as the edges of the chips have been smoothed out and there are no sharp edges.... I was wondering though.... Is it common for someone to actually smooth out the sharp edges of chipped marbles themselves, as a way of extending it's life? As I said, I know basically nothing about this stuff at all.
Anyhow, any info is appreciated, and I thank you in advance. Take care. J View attachment 1838335 View attachment 1838337
Very cool find. I love my marbles. I have a few resources to share if you'd like. I'm no expert by far but I'm always up for learning about new one and old alike.

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I may just take you up on that... I am always hungry for knowledge as well. Especially when it comes to most science related subject matter. I also love to learn about myself and experience the occasional moments that you experience Deep, Profound Epiphanies! Lmao

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Looks like a blue game marble that was in a fire and sagged a bit until it was out of round. Probably melted the sharpness off the edges where the damage was too.

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't show in the pics very well, but there is a section that has two spots that definitely had chunks chipped off. The main one is fairly long and gouged moderately deep... It's basically a groove. About 1/4" off one end of it lies the second chip, which could've possibly been caused by hard contact with another marble? (Judging by the size of the divot.)

stephaniekadman

May 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I may just take you up on that... I am always hungry for knowledge as well. Especially when it comes to most science related subject matter. I also love to learn about myself and experience the occasional moments that you experience Deep, Profound Epiphanies! Lmao
Sooo picking up what you're putting down! Love it :) happy hunting friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions