58.2 KB · Views: 806
  • zzzzz.jpg
    zzzzz.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 747

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dogtown (also Dogtown Commons or Dogtown Common or Dogtown Village) is an abandoned inland settlement on Cape Ann in Massachusetts. It is divided between the city of Gloucester and the town of Rockport. Settled, in 1693, because its inland location afforded protection from pirates and from enemy navies.
After new coastal roads were opened, and especially after the conclusion of the War of 1812 and its attendant risk of coastal bombardment, most farmers moved away from Dogtown. Their abandoned houses were for a few decades occupied by itinerants and vagabonds, giving the area its bad reputation. Many of the widows of sea-goers and soldiers who never returned kept dogs for protection and company. As these last inhabitants died their pets became feral and wild, roaming the moors and howling, thus the name "DOGTOWN" was born.

Some of the last occupants were suspected of practicing witchcraft, including Thomazine "Tammy" Younger, whom some knew as the "Queen of the Witches." Tammy lived on Fox Hill, by Alewife Brook, and would reputedly place a curse on teams of oxen carrying fish from the harbor as they crossed the bridge there, unless their driver paid her a "toll". A reputed witch often associated with Dogtown was Peg Wesson, but in fact she lived in Gloucester, not Dogtown. The last resident of Dogtown, a freedman named Cornelius "Black Neil" Finson, was found half-dead living in a cellar-hole in the winter, and was removed to the poorhouse in Gloucester in 1830; he died shortly afterward.

Dogtown is now a dense woodland, criss-crossed and bisected by trails and old roads. Dogtown Road off of Cherry Street in the western section (the Gloucester side) is even lined with the remains of the cellar holes of the settlers, many of which are numbered in correspondence with names from John J. Babson's book of the history of Gloucester. Babson's grandson, Roger Babson, is known for, among other things, his commissioning of unemployed stonecutters to carve inspirational inscriptions on approximately three dozen boulders in Dogtown during the Great Depression. Babson also mapped and numbered the cellar holes left from the homes of Dogtown's former residents.

Most of the land is held in trust by Gloucester and Rockport and is therefore protected in perpetuity. The current state of Dogtown affords rich recreation opportunities to hikers and bikers, dog-walkers, nature lovers, cross-country skiers, geologists and historians. The area is peppered with house-sized boulders, including one named "The Whale's Jaw," which it formerly resembled before cracking in 1989.

Oct 7, 2015
Gloucester Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 350 & white's coin master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi does anyone want to hunt dog town I'm in Gloucester Massachusetts but I normally just hunt at beaches but would like to check dog town out

mac_hine

Nov 27, 2015
Mass
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi does anyone want to hunt dog town I'm in Gloucester Massachusetts but I normally just hunt at beaches but would like to check dog town out
Hi Mystic, I'm new to the area and MDing. Question about hunting at the beaches, do you need a MD permit to hunt there? Maybe once I learn how to use my MD I'd give Dogtown a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread