johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still remember the 3 friends that didn't make it back. Knew them since the 7th grade. We went to the Wall in 1986 it was sure a tough time for me. I'm really thankful for the good wife that I have. She was always there for me all these years. Finally after all these years I went to the V.A and got some help. Planning on going to the Wall again this summer. I hope this time it will be a little easier.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
johnnycat said:
I still remember the 3 friends that didn't make it back. Knew them since the 7th grade. We went to the Wall in 1986 it was sure a tough time for me. I'm really thankful for the good wife that I have. She was always there for me all these years. Finally after all these years I went to the V.A and got some help. Planning on going to the Wall again this summer. I hope this time it will be a little easier.

I am thankful for you and what you have written, it is not easy.
I am very glad you have family support and finally saw someone to talk to. It makes SO much difference. IF a man can get started.
Regards, Skypilot02 :icon_salut:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I :icon_salut: those of you that have made that trip. As of yet I'm still not able or strong enough to make it. To many of my friends and brothers are listed on that Wall and all I can ask is WHY!

Desertfox

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
desertfox said:
I :icon_salut: those of you that have made that trip. As of yet I'm still not able or strong enough to make it. To many of my friends and brothers are listed on that Wall and all I can ask is WHY!

Desertfox

Hope you become well enough to do as you please, DesertFox! :thumbsup:
As for the other,....other than the sense of duty...... :dontknow: :-\ :(
Regards, Skypilot02

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herd a story on the radio the other day that said we are losing are Viet Nam vets at like 10 to 20 a day and that by 2015-2020 more than 3 quaters of them would be dead.Could this be true?
Well I hope not.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Hello Produce Guy. I wouldn't doubt it, lots of bad hoodoo in that place. And of course time has a lot to do with it, South Vietnam capitulated in 1975, Saigon is now Ho Chi Minh City. Average age (ours) in combat was 19. And it has been 35 years since any of our serviceman sat foot in that ...............place.

Gotta go!! Semper Fidelis!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Semper Fi, Skypilot02, or as we said in the 1st Cav. Gary Owens! '66-67 last of 68 all of 69 :icon_salut:

Desertfox

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
:icon_salut: A Shau Valley, Hue............Gary Owens, DesertFox!!! I take it you were with the 7th?
I Corps sucks........well, the Parrot Beak and II corps, crap If it were up to me, the whole damn place would still be glowing in the dark.
Get well soon! Warmest regards, Skypilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
DesertFox, I was asking in the wrong manner I presume. Please forgive me. What I meant to ask is; Were you with The 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry (RSTA)?

I simply assumed this because of your years of service. Most respectfully, Skypilot

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
Herd a story on the radio the other day that said we are losing are Viet Nam vets at like 10 to 20 a day and that by 2015-2020 more than 3 quaters of them would be dead.Could this be true?
Well I hope not.

That is pretty much true. Due to the effects of agent orange they used to kill dense foilage in the late 60's early 70's and many vets being exposed to it that was in the area during and after spraying. Many Viet Nam vets got cancer from it. Like many of the vets during Desert Storm 10's of thousands have died already from unknown causes and more so are dying today that is not being publicly announced. Some government claims it was due to the oil rig fires, some vets and some doctors claim it was a chemical agent that is unkonown that soldiers were exposed to in certain areas.

Not to get off the subject, but the Oklahoma City Bombing was basically done, (I am not going to discuss this as I am an engineer who knows explosives), The amount that was claimed was used by McVeigh would not have penetrated 1/32 of the building much less destroy more than half of it.

I will say this much, ALL THE RECORDS for Ruby Ridge, Waco, and Desert Storm Veterans who were exposed to something in 1991, (that the government is denying), were kept in the Oklahoma City Federal Building. Kind of strange that the government doesn't keep ALL records in one location of more than one incident and has never done so until the OKC Bombing. It is kind of strange how an incident happens that later we all find out that the government was behind it, or related to it in some way to hide something that will cost them billions of dollars or a political issue with thier name on it.

This kind of situation with many vets not keeping documented copies of their medical records and believing the government keeps all of them and will keep track of ones service record. If one has no copies, and the government makes the records disappear, one has to prove it was service related issue.

I been in 20 years and I remember my first 8 years I was in the Army, I was not allowed to make copies of my medical records. It wasn't until I started doing it covertly, (whenever I had a chance to get my medical record in my hands), to make copies of anything in concern and then some. Now many vets for years have been making sure they have copies of their medical file, because we all know, the government can't be trusted in being honest with our medical files and any service related injury or issue!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Skypilot, nothing wrong with the way you asked. Did a year with Co D 1st of the 12th (66-67) and a year with Co E 1st of the 7th (68-69).
Gary Owen's my friend. :icon_salut:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
desertfox said:
Skypilot, nothing wrong with the way you asked. Did a year with Co D 1st of the 12th (66-67) and a year with Co E 1st of the 7th (68-69).
Gary Owen's my friend. :icon_salut:

:icon_salut:Thank you for being kind DesertFox! I would never intentionally offend you, but at times I come across all wrong and I can't see it at the time.
Gary Owen's, my friend! :icon_salut:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all who served in Vietnam lost a very good friend Heinz Ruchti 09/11/ 68 Fairfield Ca.,allways in my thoughts buddy

Dale

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a military member ,my heart goes out to all of the Vietnam vets for not getting the welcome home and job well done that they deserved.

My hat goes off to you guys. WELCOME HOME and you guys did awesome over there!! :notworthy: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Viet-Nam The gift that keeps on giving. I lost a good friend, and metal-detecting mentor one year ago in August. Retired Air Force and I think 3 tours in country. He started complaining of a little shortness of breath. Then his arthritis knees acting up more. Went to VA regularly. In May 2009 they did some tests. It would be faster to list where the cancer wasn't. He died in VA hospice. I still can't believe my buddy is gone. He was still out there swinging a detector until his knees hurt so bad he couldn't tolerate it. That man must have had a tremendous pain threshold. In memory of Daniel Cagle, son of the Confederacy. That's how he wanted to be remembered. He was buried in his re-enactor uniform with a Jackson Rangers, Sons of the Confederacy Honor Guard as well as the Air Force Honor Guard. It was something to see.
Maggie

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
My sad day in Vietnam was Feb,26, 1967, 243 casualties and many wounded. India and Kilo Company, 3rd Marine Forward at
Dong Ha on the DMZ. One was a friends son, I had know since he was 9 years old, yet all of them were a loss. I spent the entire night
grieving, with a Navy Corpman, with the fallen. These were hero's, followed orders and gave their life.
Our job was Forward Air Control yet we could not get the planes in, the weather was so bad. We tried to Change the visiting Gens(from Hawaii for 3 days) mind but he wanted to make a name for himself . He sent two company's against four Batallions.
He died at Danang not in combat on his way home, listed as accidental.
I was with the 505th Tactical Control Group.
We stayed in the field with Ops, only three of us over the entire country. See Yahoo Search, 505t Tactical Control Group.
The next day was payback time. We blame the War on ourselves but this was a SEATO treaty and we gave our word we would defend them.
This was not the only loss that hurt me, although it was one we had no control over. We could not help. Gnewt

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record, where I came from in Oklahoma we did not spit on returning soldiers from VietNam. We didn't have big parades, but all the family got together and we were sure happy you were back. I was in high school when I registered and that old b*tch at the draft board told me I would be going to VietNam when I turned 20, if the 'War' was still goin on. Sat around and waited, but didn't have to go. Know a lot who did serve, and a lot who didn't come back, and all y'all done good. We won't ever forget you.

S

stefen

Had a classmate that was egged by radical cvilians as he mustered out of the San Diego Naval Base. That one single event had a greater psychological affect on him than the war itself...

Also lost a younger brother a few years back to Agent Orange...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread