Meteorite Hunter/ Larry Sloan Has Passed

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurenet Member, Meteorite Hunter , known by many as Larry Sloan passed away on 12/8/16 in Colorado at age 85. I met him through his son in law and daughter during a visit with them here in Virginia. He was a truly amazing man! He lived in Colorado, but drove his truck towing a camper from Colorado to Floyd Virginia where he spent the summers with his daughter and her family. Around the first of September he would drive back to Colorado and he spent the winters in Arizona detecting for Meteorites. I had the great pleasure of detecting with him while he was here in Virginia and was looking forward to seeing him next summer. He will be greatly missed by family and friends. RIP

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for letting us know.

Steve and I both spent time with Larry this past Summer, and he really was one of a kind. I looked up to Larry. One of the days he and I hunted together was a sweltering hot days. I hunted in the woods, always in sight of Larry, to make sure he was okay, and he & his Deus kicked my butt!

Larry, you won't be forgotten. RIP

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I didn't know the man, those who search for stars which fell to earth have a place in my heart.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just noticing this memorial...I try & keep TNet member's memorials updated or as soon as I find out one of our members passes, I try & get the memorial created just as soon as possible. I did a little searching and found this obit on Larry.

Lawrence (Larry) Edward Sloan, of Brighton, Colorado, passed away peacefully at the age of 85 on December 8th, 2016. He was surrounded by caring family and was quick witted up to the very end.
Larry was born at home on the family farm in Johnstown, Colorado, January 13, 1931 to John Henry and Olive Scott Sloan. He along with his 2 brothers and 2 sisters grew up working on the family farm and dairy, beginning his life-long love of bovine and instilling his puritan work ethic. Larry attended Colorado A & M (now Colorado State University) graduating with a Bachelors degree in Animal Husbandry. Soon there after, Larry served briefly in the 10th Mountain Division of the U.S. Army.
On a blind, double date with his brother and future sister-in-law, Larry met and fell in love with Caroline Kuntz of Gypsum Colorado. They were married May 17, 1959 and proceeded to raise their family on a small dairy farm north of Brighton that he and Caroline purchased in 1964. This remained his home until his death.
Before operating his own farm, he was the lead herdsman for Paclamar Farm. He proudly developed Senator, Astronaut and Bootmaker, three premier Holstein dairy sires.
After retiring from the dairy farm, Larry had time to explore his many hobbies and interests. He was a collector of stamps, coins, books and met new friends where ever he went. Larry spent his winters in the Southwest deserts finding gold, meteorites and enjoying frequent soaks in hot springs. He loved to travel and study natural health and healing, gardening and raising chickens. Recently, he began spending summers in his home away from home community, of Floyd VA. There he added Lakota sweat lodges to his list of new things to love.
Larry was preceded in death by wife Caroline and sister Wanda Krebill and husband Floyd; brother Donald Sloan and brother-in-law Jack Cook. He is survived by brother Ronald and wife Joanne Sloan (Loveland); sister Annabelle Cook (Greeley); sister-in-law Barbara Sloan (Johnstown); son John Sloan (Denver/Brighton), daughter Susan Sloan and husband Chris Deerheart (Floyd, VA); son Mark Sloan and wife Brandy (Brighton/Pine); daughters Karen Ray and husband Bob (Littleton), Sharon Loaiza and husband Bill (Brighton), Christy DeSiato and husband John (Wheat Ridge), Charlotte Trail and husband Justin (Littleton). Grandkids include Diane, Tara, Lauren, Colton, Amber, Brooke, Taylor, Jacob, Dillion, Ryan, Scott, Bella, Dominic, Andrew, Jackson, Jenna and great-grand children Igon, Ida, Elijiah, Tristan, and Zoey.
A celebration of his life will be held on Friday, December 16th, 2 pm at United Methodist Church, 625 S 8th Ave, Brighton, Colorado

4037626.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another interesting & Cool Man.

I also have been fascinated by Meteorites & Meteor Showers & to find one would be ...Just WOW!

May he Rest in Peace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread