Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: detector for SMALL gold nuggets

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Barber

Jun 2005
    Yakima,WA
    XTerra 70 Xterra 705
    3 times

Re: detector for SMALL gold nuggets

How is the Scorpion on hot rocks, that's what drives me nuts. I really appreciate all the replies, and all the patience with my questions.

Jan 2005
    Colorado Springs, co
    minelab
    1 times

personally i don't sell metal detectors and don't care what you buy, but let me repeat what i said in the infinium vs 2200 forum. I just got back with four quartz pieces about three inches square and they where about four inches deep. I had to bring them home and put them under the microscope to see the gold. That was the sd 2200 minelab. If there is somebody out there selling the 2200 for 1200.00 dollars you better jump on that if your going to get serious about chasing gold. I have been doing this since the early 60's and I have used every brand imaginable and have never had anything impress me as much as that 2200.When we first got the 2200 we was about ready to trash it because we didn't think anything would detect as small as what we were holding in our hand. We were wrong.

us
    Jun 2009
    republic of trinity usa
    gpx4500,gmt
    5 times

hello all,my experience as a gmt owner,last couple years,wheat grain sized pieces,gmt any coil woll get it at 2 to 4 inches on average.you would definitely be in manual tracking,checking gb very often,run slightly positive gb.they are easy to pinpoint with and not much digging.as a ml 4500 owner,7 months,and yes,as someone above posted,commander 8inch round,6inch round sniper,6x10 joey mono,these coils approach the gmt in very small gold detection.when im done searching all the available shallow bedrock,i could then put on larger mono coil,say a 14r or 14e,and continue to hunt the deeper bedrock that my trusty gmt could never hope to succeed in.i always carry 3 extra coils.did i sell my gmt upon getting the minelab? NOPE,still love the gmt.enjoy occasionaly taking both out in the field same time.thats rarely practical.when theres only shallow bedrock,known in advance,gmt detector of the day.after learning the 4500,digging the sometimes huge holes required,gmt can be relaxing experience.but when the gmt was my only stick,i was always wondering what i was leaving behind,in the deeper material.from everything i have read,a tdi or a 2200 ml with extra coils ,either would be a great starter pi. and far more affordable.

us
    Arizona Ames

Dec 2008
    Michigan
    MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
    21 times

Beyond any doubt, get a MXT with a 6X9 coil. With the auto balance and better depth than a GB2, you will be finding nuggets, if they are there, within 10 seconds of turning the unit on. You also have the option of other modes like coin and jewelry, and relic modes. It is truly one of the best machines that any amount of money can buy.....jim
    Arizona Ames

us
    Arizona Ames

Dec 2008
    Michigan
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    i had an XT 70 and found that while it was more sensitive than the MXT (HF DD elliptical vs 6x10" Eclipse) the MXT has a MUCH better ground tracking system, which makes it functionally better. The F75 is more sensitive than either.. with the stock coil to boot, but no tracking. I'd say "Bite the bullet and get a GMT"; it's about the best VLF nuggetshooter out there. A runner-up would be the MXT. ..Willy.
    I couldnot agree more, Willy, except that I would opt for the MXT first and the GMT second. The MXT gives you the added fuction of being able to coin shoot and relic shoot with the 2 extra modes.....jim
    Arizona Ames

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    24 times
    Metal Detecting

Whites GMT or Fisher GB2 would be my picks.
    I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
    2 times

I have been swinging a detector since 1962 and have found more than my share of nuggets . If I were you i would get a Minelab 2100 with a small coil (Coiltec Joey or smaller). While a vlf will probably find some of the shallow nuggets it is not capable of handling the mineralized ground on the deeper ones. A P.I. will find all but the very smallest ones. If you want a valid second opinion ask some one who own both, a PI and a vlf gold hunter, not some one who only own one or the other.

PS A whites TDI with the smaller coil would also be a good one.

us
    Jul 2008
    texas
    garrett 2500
    1 times

the minelab is the best bet if you are just looking for gold.

IMO garrett 2500 is the best all around machine but the ace 250 will find gold too (the wife can do it so i know anyone can)
    if it was easy everyone would be doing it

Jan 2005
    Colorado Springs, co
    minelab
    1 times

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you I've been hunting since the early 1960,s. I do own whites and garretts and bounty hunter and yes even the original teknetics.Since my father in law owns rental stores i got incredible discounts on all but (you guessed it) the minelab I had to buy the minelabs from kellyco. I still say the sd2200, even though I had to pay full price

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    197 times

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com...howtopic=16074 New White's at reasonable price and for small gold.You might want to wait for the reviews.

us
    Arizona Ames

Dec 2008
    Michigan
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Hammer
    I would disagree with what was said about a P.I. not picking up small gold. Using a 10x5 Joey Elliptical mono Search coil made by coiltek (213.00) you will find pennyweight and smaller all day long. It's all about the coil.
    I went up against a Minelab 4000 2 months ago at Placerites and outperformed the very expensive Minelab 2 to 1 with my MXT. The fellow using the minelab was a full time professional prospector for 30 years. He was missing target close to the surface and was spending most of his time digging 1 to 2 foot holes.
    Arizona Ames

us
    Aug 2009
    southwest territory NV, AZ, NM
    Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq

For the money, warrenty and sensitivity... I'll take my Tesoro SuperTraq anywhere and anytime

US and Arizona built the best of the lot....just my 2cents.

goldhat

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    337 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

hi all GPX 4000, 4500 and sd2200 v2 find plenty of small gold as well as larger nuggets.photos speak themselves.

tinpan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300753.JPG 
Views:	2629 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	24280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300756.JPG 
Views:	2526 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	24281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300757.JPG 
Views:	2543 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	24282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300753.JPG 
Views:	2413 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	322964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300756.JPG 
Views:	2426 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	322965  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S7300757.JPG 
Views:	2401 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	322966  

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    337 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Hammer
    I would disagree with what was said about a P.I. not picking up small gold. Using a 10x5 Joey Elliptical mono Search coil made by coiltek (213.00) you will find pennyweight and smaller all day long. It's all about the coil.
    Well said, i use 10x5 ventura custom with gpx 4500 . Listen to this person hes in the know.

tinpan

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2645 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I like the M.X.T. and the G.M.T.,but I cant argue with Tinny.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors