Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Upvote 0

diggitdawg

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2008
thank u functional, can it be possible that out of those people only like 3 % know how to set it to find gold? sounds like iv'e been taken for a ride as well. i had to laugh at the guy that said his friend found 3 nuggets that had been missed with other detectors something like an 8 oz, 2 oz , i forget the third but it sounds like the other guys forgot to put batteries in their detectors. i'm sure a $ 99 detector from big 5 would not miss any one of those lol.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

The Eureka is a capable machine that serves many people well. My only real complaint about it is that Minelab really jacked up the price on it in the last couple years.

Nugget hunting is a lot harder than people imagine. The first nugget is by far the hardest for most people so I don't find three days of hunting with no gold found to be remarkable at all.

Steve Herschbach

diggitdawg

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2008
hello steve, thanks for the reply.. for sure 3 days under my belt is not a long time to find my first gold i would be happy if I could find my first in 3 months lol. but really my concern is should i spend 3 months looking with this unit. I really havn't read many good opinions about it other than dealers comments & the generic great comments made by minelab. but when someone on the forums asks about the best vlf detectors (probably once a week on every forum) I rarely see the eureka gold mentioned. I bought it because of the dealer & minelab hype instead of asking around. (mistake) I don't mind spending the $ on a quality machine I just dont want to spend the time when its going to be wasted. I respect your opinion and I will stick with it. hopefully this year I can put a lot more time in with it. even bought the 15" wot because I like the fact that it's water proof. going to try around some creeks & wet areas also. thanks again

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
diggitdawg said:
hello steve, thanks for the reply.. for sure 3 days under my belt is not a long time to find my first gold i would be happy if I could find my first in 3 months lol. but really my concern is should i spend 3 months looking with this unit. I really havn't read many good opinions about it other than dealers comments & the generic great comments made by minelab. but when someone on the forums asks about the best vlf detectors (probably once a week on every forum) I rarely see the eureka gold mentioned. I bought it because of the dealer & minelab hype instead of asking around. (mistake) I don't mind spending the $ on a quality machine I just dont want to spend the time when its going to be wasted. I respect your opinion and I will stick with it. hopefully this year I can put a lot more time in with it. even bought the 15" wot because I like the fact that it's water proof. going to try around some creeks & wet areas also. thanks again

Here's some light reading:
http://www.arizonaoutback.com/eurekatest.html

Opinion's on your MD:
http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums...c=595&pid=3815&mode=threaded&start=#entry3815
And:
http://www.49ermike.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=195&topic_id=181
Then closer to your virtual home:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=222583.0

You'll have to check out some of the 500 plus other Google hits yourself:
http://www.google.ca/#q=minelab+"eureka+gold"+forum&hl=en&sa=2&fp=2f827d2d12b4c511

My foggy eyesight due to lack of sleep, is telling me that I'm off for the night.

F.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi diggitdog

The instructions for the WOT note that it runs best at 6.4 kHz so be aware that you have little chance of finding anything but large nuggets with that coil. In general I'd stick with the stock coil unless you know coin size or larger nuggets are lurking nearby. The stock coil runs best at 20 kHz but if you have tiny surface pickers go to 60 kHz.

I'll generally let the unit auto ground track for a few minutes then switch to fixed.

The Eureka is a good detector, as are the others. You will find a good operator can find gold with any of them. It is all about putting yourself in good locations and putting in serious, patient effort. It gets easier with time but there is a learning curve for sure. Good luck!

Steve Herschbach

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These were found with my X-terra 705. It will find gold nuggets just under 1 grain. It is very user friendly and you can be up and hunting with it in a matter of 10 min. I know, I have done it and found gold with it. As sensitive as a eureka Gold or goldbug 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,182

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is hot on the gold and works well in areas with heavy mineralized soil you can pick up a new one for about $660 have seen them advertised

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread