OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey john,have you tried this method/unit?i know a lot would have trouble with that much mineralazation,and i know small gold is esp.hard.thanks for your opinion.at least i know you are familiar with what i'm looking for.

7oz

Greenie
May 7, 2009
Seattle Washington
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Troy X5
Tesoro vlf underwater detectors are very sensitive to small rice sized gold. :coffee2: The Tesoro Stingray I had was awesome on small gold jewelry. Allen T.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stingray vs shark--I've had at least a 2 day senior moment on this issue--call Rusty in service at tesoro and he'll fill ya in--sorry HEP C & treatments took a little bit a memory with it???sorry-John

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Try the Garrett Infinum LS...... LS stands for land and sea.....it is a 100% under water PI detector designed for gold......works as well as a mine lab gp 3500 series or better for 1/5th the price....

db

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
match head, bb. etc.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
would like to try some underwater nug hunting this year.as legal river dredging is toast.been watching this thread,hoping someone with actual experience with different machines would step up.but it is probably the same story as the land based gold detectors.vlf for tiny shallow/larger at depth,pi machine such as the garrett for the 1/2 gram and up gold,shallow or deep.bout a year ago,bought a coiltek joey 5x10 mono for my gpx pi machine.that little coil finds gold so small,it is actually annoying.was having gmt flashbacks.used to bring a clean paintcan along,when the signal was in a handfull of dirt,threw into the can,pan it down later.took too long to isolate those tiny specks of au.there are threads on the shipwreck forum discussing the different brands of underwater vlf/pi machines.seems the seasoned guys over there have at least one of each.go figure :read2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning P63--thats why I always hit shipwrecks--them folks have the equipment to do the comparisons and the $$$$$ for toyz as some of them are in the biz of recovery and wreck diving. Professionals with competant equipment is what we need in kalif--BAD--We're ALL searching and trying to learn new ways--John :read2:

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
mornin john.pulled the kac1 off my 6.5 p180,need to call armadillo.4 horse honda plus baseplate plus kac1=underwater detecting/sniping air supply.oh yeah,bout 100 foot of new yellow airline.might have to get a job to support my mining habit.cant believe i just said that.

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
No question for me on this one. The Infinium LS with the small 3X7" DD or 8" mono will find gold down to 1-2gm on up. I use the Infinium here in Colorado in the creeks and rivers and it does very well. It is a very good detector for the price. It'll do it on land just as well also. It is the only PI on the market that has auto ground track, and reverse iron discrimination. It will handle any ground any where in the world and and do it with out a whimper.
Keep it swinging.
C

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about the learning curve on the infinium?

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I would say swing slow until you get familiar with the ground balance.....after that.....its just like anything else...besides I think it is easier to tune than a mine lab gp3500....

my 2 cents....

db

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
strickman said:
what about the learning curve on the infinium?

Hi Strickman.
The Infinium has a learning curve like all detectors. A PI has it's own unique quirks. PIs are not for every body they are a sound only detector ie no displays, meters lights just sound and that is hard for some to master while others seem to take to like a duck to water. I would head to a dealer and try one out first.
Keep'er Swinging
C

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the input,i've been checking craigslist can't afford a new one at 1000.00 thats a lot.maybe i can run accross a used one.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi there Patchers 63, Hey.....If you want to get rid of that 'annoying' small gold.....send it over to me :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I like your tip of the paint can & panning out later :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I know where you are coming from. Time spent in the field is best spent finding the good stuff. Seperation can be done later. Good one :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
well now the cat is out of the bag.....I use a 5 gal plastic bucket out in the desert....dig...dig..dig....rather than looking for the small stuff and wasting time, it goes in the bucket and later on at home it gets washed and sieved and panned....a lot of signals are buck shot or 00 buck......I dig my dirt into a plastic gold pan...its easier to check for a (pos +) hit... after a quick glance and I see nothing,,,,it goes onto the bucket and gets washed.....

good luck and HH

db

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
You mentioned a Garrett would be ok for gold at 1/2 gram and up. How big is half a gram? BB, match head, buckshot, rice??? The reason I'm asking is I have a Garrett Sea Hunter II for diving and thought we may make a trip to a river not far from here this summer. I know there is a beach near here that there must have been a campfire with lots of cans because I find bits of burnt aluminum that are no bigger than a half a pea. So I thought this would work with gold. Thanks for advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread