Quick Gold Question.............

Zectron2348

Aug 8, 2009
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT DFX MXT, many Minelabs, many Fishers, Tesoro Bandido, Lobo, Cortez, efx ground MX400, Treasure Commander TC2X, original Bounty Hunter Red Baron, and many more!
Years ago my brother purchased a tiny glass vial of Gold flakes on a popular internet auction. In the vial was a small paper and 10.5 g was written on it. He didn't pay much for it and just assumed it to be real gold and as I said has had it for many years.

Recently I purchased a new detector and was air testing lots of different things to try and learn what the detector was saying. He brought over the vial of "Gold Flakes" and we expected the detector to give some type of a tone, ................. it did not. Even in the "all metal" mode it did nothing.

I have a Fisher pinpointer and tried that on the vial, ................... nothing. We dumped the flakes out on a small piece of paper, thinking the glass may be interfering, ............................ if we piled up the flakes into a tiny pile we did get a beep from the pinpointer a couple of times, but that was with the pointer in direct contact with the flakes.

My question is, ..... is 10.5 g just too small an amount to detect, or ......... is this gold? There aren't many flakes, and so there is not a lot of mass, but should 10.5 g of flakes register on a detector? It surely looks like gold, but I suspect it may not be. Any comments or ideas?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: Just about any good gold detector will sound off in a worthless air test. Now plop that stuff down in the ground and cover with dirt--NOW YOU HAVE A REAL TEST. There is not a whole lot of difference in gold vs relic/coin EXCEPT op frequency and the RIGHTEOUS GROUND BALANCING CAPABILITY of good old AMERICAN VLF detectors. I've pounded miles with my GB2 & TLST and between the many coils,frequencies and disc I rock pretty much anywhere. There are ungodly areas where a pulse won't work and reverse too. The machine is only as good as the man behind it--EVER-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :hello2:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If you take the cap off of the vial it won't detect as well . its the foil in the cap.

B

BIG61AL

I think your unit is more apt to give you a signal on a coin shaped object rather than an irregular multiple layered pile of very thin gold. Since it highly unlikely you will ever encounter such an target in the field you should take a thin gold neclace chain, chop out a small piece and melt it into a small ball. Flaten the gold ball with a small hammer. Now you have a real simulated gold nugget. Test this with your detector and see what it can do with that.

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
This is actually a pretty Kool Topic, I've been searching for this kind for quite awhile. So I prospect with my old Fisher Gold Bug 2 Detector most of the time, pretty good machine, fair to midland as far as detectors go, but I don't really know just how small it will pick-up Gold, Silver or other Metals although I've tested it from time to time, I'm not sure whether I fully trust it. Found me a pretty neat ledge sometime ago that the detector howls with in FULL DISCRIMINATION. So I break off a few pieces (hammer & chisel), send one off for a Fire Assay, ground up a couple of them with mortar & pestle into a Fine Powder, Pan it down to solid Black Sand...very small pieces of gold and silver, but certainly nothing that could be detectable. I take the Black Sands and Vinegarize them for a day, pan it..nothing..I cook'em on my coleman stove in a frying pan, nice and hot, dump it into a water bucket, pan it...just HEAVY BLACK SAND...same result with the detector in full discrimination. Assay cerificate comes back and from the sample I sent in of 1.685 lbs., .002 Gold oz./ton, .062 Gold grams/ton, PPM .069.....SILVER fares a little better, .014 Silver oz./ton, .435 Silver grams/ton, PPM .48......but I ain't too happy about this cause I don't think my detector could pick this up and whatever is in the black sands, well, IT'S LOADED...So now I'm putting together a package of 1lb. of Black Sand for a SPECTROGRAPHIC Assay of Multiple Element Ore Analysis including the Platinum Group Metals, cause now I just got to know what's in this rock. Something is making this detector run wild and I also sent other samples off to other friends, one has a Lobo and another a Minelab, another has a MXT and now they all get the same thing..here's a few pic's

Attachments

• La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 007.jpg
    La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 007.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 622
  • La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 008.jpg
    La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 008.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 619
  • La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 009.jpg
    La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 009.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 621
  • La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 010.jpg
    La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 010.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 615
  • La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 016.jpg
    La Panza Cement Rock, Ancient River Gravel 016.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 627

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
How did your Spectro go Happytrails? When I had my GB2 I regularly picked up pinhead sized 'nuggets'. I would be interested to hear your results.

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread