Hunting in New Zealand ( Lots of NZ Photos in this thread)

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Here are some little babys I picked up last time I went to New Zealand for a holiday.
They were found between and to the left of the 2 rocks in 2nd image

Attachments

• NZ 063.JPG
    NZ 063.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 4,230
  • NZ 062.JPG
    NZ 062.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 4,163
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Re: Hunting in New Zealand

Thanks John. I have found some beaut nuggets around this spot. I was born on this property but it has changed hands a few times since. I know where there is a reef that my old uncle got heaps of gold, and when us kids were young we went down in the hole. He was so mad he took his dynamite up there and blew it in.!!! It is still there and maybe one day I will get a go at it. Meantime I will just wander around and pick up the nuggies. I still have some of the rich reef gold he left when he died. He always said that the reef continued across the gully so when I get my Golden King I will be looking for it. As I live in Australia now I don't get over there very often.

The Cat

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Ya just gotta love a country that convinces people (tourists), that its fun to roll down hill in a puddle of water inside a big plastic bubble, ( they call it a Zorb). :blob1: And where they apparently have taught gold nuggets to jump up onto the coil of any passing metal detector. :smileinbox:

F.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used

Well Mr Functional (or is it dysfunctional?) lol At least it is my detector they are jumping on to......

The Cat

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

Hi guys, Yep there is some nice gold to be found in NZ.

Check out this 5ozer

Mattsnugget.jpg

2ozer

Pic_0048.jpg

Or this cabinet of NZ collectable nuggies housed in the Gold Shop in Arrowtown

jNZgoldnuggets.jpg

Some nice little pickers found with a 2" gravity dredge sucking out a mountain creek hole.

j12.jpg

Sluice boxing

66gram1.jpg

10gram1.jpg

And it is that time of the year agian with summer just around the corner

Happy goldin

Kiwi JW

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used

Apparently the gold around arrowtown can be about 98% pure. Nice nuggets. You are obviously from around that area JW?

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

G'day Wildcat, Sorry mate ment to make mention of your nice gold. Well done. :icon_thumright:
I am from the Coromandel area but lookin at movin down to Central as the Coro gold aint a patch on the central stuff. How come you have jumped the ditch? :dontknow: Foot in both camps aye :wink: I run a GP 3000 looking for gold but pretty much stick to the water, dredgin & sluicin & crevicing & all that. I know central pretty well especially the QT, Arrowtown areas, Macetown, Skippers, Bannockburn, Carrick, Nevise, Naseby, Bendigo, Kyeburn, Cadrona etc The list goes on aye........Beautiful Country. Godzone. The worlds best kept secret aye :laughing7: You do much in Oz?

Good luck & happy golding. :coffee2:

Kiwi JW

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

Hey Wildcat, Check the pics I put up on the Whites/Goldbug thread. Bit of Arrow gold & some rough hokey pokey Coromandel dentrital that hasnt travelled very far from its source. But do you think I can bloody find it. :dontknow: ??? LOL

Take care out there & may there be glint of yellow at the point of yer pick ;D

JW

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used

Hey JW and all. I came to Oz in '76. Got fed up with Invercargill weather. I was born in Ranfurly and lived young years at Poolburn, Omakau. I agree, it is some of the best country anywhere. Just too cold for me in winter. If I ever went back it would be to Alexandra / Clyde area. My brother used to have a small portable dredge in the Manuherikia near Omakau near the Dan O'Çonnell bridge. Nice and shallow, quite a few rock bars here and there. I am a detector man but would have a go at a dredge if I was in the right locale. I have lived in Western Australia, Victoria and have been in Queensland most of the time. Found some good bits in all those places.
The Cat

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Wildcat said:
Well Mr Functional (or is it dysfunctional?) lol At least it is my detector they are jumping on to......

The Cat

:laughing9: <-- Dis Funtional

:angel12: I know you have most of the good nuggets down there and enough of a season to seriously hunt for them. I'm happy when I cover costs. But, I'd be happier if I could just find a reliable source for vegemite here in western Canada. I met an aussie gal once and she got me addicted to it.

F.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used

Well (Dis) Functional..... I prefer Marmite.. (Beef extract instead of vege extract) Looks the same but just tastes better to me.
My mate and I went out for a hunt today and found 20 cents between us.....grrrrrr

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used

Wildcat said:
Well (Dis) Functional..... I prefer Marmite.. (Beef extract instead of vege extract) Looks the same but just tastes better to me.
My mate and I went out for a hunt today and found 20 cents between us.....grrrrrr

I was going to try Marmite once, but then I saw that it was the UK version with veggies in it. I'd heard that the NZ version was better, but I've yet to find any in the stores I've looked in for it.

There's twenty current cents, then there's twenty historic cents. The later is preferable. Maybe stick to nugget shooting? Twenty nuggets. Now I like that sound of that, no matter how old the nuggets are.

My season for gold is at its end here, with a snow levels reaching down to within 150 feet of the valley bottom, but I'll spend the winter preparing for next year. Just bought myself a used oxygen acetylene welding and cutting outfit, with supplies for working with regular steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and cast iron, enough to last me the next year. From this point on, the winter months will be spent living vicariously through the lives of other gold panner's and nugget shooter's.

K.

Cheezie

Greenie
Aug 14, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Inspiring Photos and story guys, you're living the dream. Blessed be.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

Hi guys, Here is a bit of Kiwi Gold country scenery.

LakeWakatipu-1.jpg

skippersMtAurum.jpg

skippers.jpg

Mtburstergoldworkingssign.jpg

Hydrolic sluiced area 5000ft above sea level. All that white is little water worn quartz pebbles
Mtbursterlookingacrossgoldworkings.jpg

MTBURSTERCLEANINGGUTTER.jpg

A river diversion tunnel

jMacetown5.jpg

Happy golding

Kiwi JW

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

And a bit more

j17.jpg

Heading up the Arrow River sluice boxing
jArrowRiver2.jpg

jArrowRiver3.jpg

The result of a couple of hours
jArrowRiver4.jpg

j4.jpg

Gold mining ghost town hotel ruins. Horse stables in the back ground
j22.jpg

Bit of snow in the back ground
j21.jpg

Miners hut
j19.jpg

Kiwi JW

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

But wait....there is more

Another old miners hut & inside
jSamSummersHut1.jpg

Hydrolic sluicing monitor in action
jShotover11.jpg

Hydrolic sluiced area
jSluicedworkings2.jpg

Tailings race from the hydrolic sluiced area above
jSluicedworkings3.jpg

Water wheel powered 10 head stamper battery
jShantytown3.jpg

Another stamper & berdan set up (ruins of)
jMacetown11.jpg

Hand stacked tailings
jMacetown7.jpg

Another stamper
jBlacksPoint2.jpg

More hand stacked tailings
jStackedTailings2.jpg

A different kind of "digger" in the creek
Pic_0143.jpg

Happy golding

KiwiJW

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing9: Come on now--where is Frodo???thanx much for the great pix and I'd give any of my X-wives to run that moniter too!!! thanx much John :notworthy:

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Wow, great pics guys. Let me pack my dredge and leave no forwarding add'y

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread