Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a Whites MXT and a Gold Bug 2, I'm learning the MXT an liking the machine allot , I've had the GB2 awhile now an other then a few shot pellets an a .22 led I haven't found anything with it . So my question is do I even bother keeping the GB2 an keep trying to learn it since the MXT can an will find gold also.
I'm just curious what others think .

Thanks Tank :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone buy yet another machine when you admit to not learning the first, and best of the 2 is the GB2??? PATIENCE is the creed of detecting and if no patience youz in trouble- The machine is only as good as the man behind it EVER--no matter how much $$$$$$ you throw at the hobby--John :read2:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank,
I have recently purchased both the GB2 and the GMT. I have about 3 hours on the GB2 and 2 hours on the GMT. I am really excited about both machines. I have found MANY shotgun pellets already with the GB2. Believe me, when properly ground balanced, it is a KILLER machine! The gold test strips posted are .04 grams and .48 grams respectively. If you are picking up the pellets, you will be picking up the nuggets under the coil also. The GB2 picks up the .04g at 2 inches easily. I will post a video soon on how to ground balance the GB2 and GMT. Stick with it. The gold will come. TTC

Attachments

• 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 761
OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
Why would anyone buy yet another machine when you admit to not learning the first, and best of the 2 is the GB2??? PATIENCE is the creed of detecting and if no patience youz in trouble- The machine is only as good as the man behind it EVER--no matter how much $$$$$$ you throw at the hobby--John :read2:

That's very simple I got a deal on the GB2 that I couldn't pass up an since I am in gold country an do actively look for gold, so I bought it . (If you wanted a MXT an was waiting for it to arrive an you where offered a almost new GB2 for almost nothing , would you turn it down ? no no you wouldnt nobody in their right mind would ). In the mean time I was waiting to get my XLT for all around hunting .......if you knew your machines you'd know the GB2 due to its high frequency range does NOT make it a good all around machine ,and if you think it does go try coin hunting a park with it . It wasn't a matter of trying to be a dumb ass or waste money ,an I'm the first to admit IAM learning BOTH machines hence why I asked what others thought .

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool Terry I'd enjoy seeing your vids :icon_thumleft:

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dont worry about what hoser says. Seems to me having both actually helps understand the way detectors work when getting into this great hobby. I bought a gpx4500 and a t2 at the same time. I've found more with the t2 so far, only because it fits. I'd own every make if i could. They're like guns. more the better.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
minerjoe said:
They're like guns. more the better.
I like the analogy, Miner! Nice! I have 9 detectors..... but I won't say how many guns!! TTC

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK gentlemen lets not bring the calming cabnet into this lol :tongue3:lol I get in trouble when the Red Head gets told the cabnets a lil fuller then the last time lol

Thanks guys I agree, I to feel the more machines you can learn the better off a person is , but to me there no point in keeping a machine that's only good for one field when you have a machine that will cover many fields just as well,Hell I may just decide to keep em both their both paid for .

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank,

Keep both of the detectors, the MXT is great and it will find gold as well as coins, jewelry, and relics, but it will only find 1/2 gram or larger gold at best it is the way it was design, the GB2 will find a lot of gold the MXT will miss, it will find much smaller pieces and also the pieces the MXT will find, and any gold is good gold.

Skip

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the mxt will find gold smaller than half a gram.... if your finding shot with it you'll find gold...the more sensitive a machine is also makes it more likely to have trouble in hot ground.....depending on the circuitry......mxt in all metal mode/prospect is very close to a gmt and there are testimonials of people finding the usual small stuff with it that can be found with a gmt...I have a gm/4 and have found alot....i mean alot of very small non-ferrous and ferrous metal...foil from broken beer bottles..tiny little pieces....any time i find a bullet jacket all shreaded i make it a point to find as many of the pieces that broke off of it as possible..because they for all intents and purposes are the same as finding a piece of float with gold in it or a nugget and the small nearby pieces that can be associated with them, a type of practice if you will. Terry i cant wait to hear more of your head to head experiences.They will give insight into how one spot can vary from the other and how two different machines perform in those spots and maybe give some insight into why the machines perform differently...how about you take a pal who can detect you each take a machine work some ground then switch users keeping the spot/machine the same see what happens then switch machines users to opposite spots...sort of a double blind test or something....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pvillehunter said:
i think the mxt will find gold smaller than half a gram.... if your finding shot with it you'll find gold...the more sensitive a machine is also makes it more likely to have trouble in hot ground.....depending on the circuitry......mxt in all metal mode/prospect is very close to a gmt and there are testimonials of people finding the usual small stuff with it that can be found with a gmt...I have a gm/4 and have found alot....i mean alot of very small non-ferrous and ferrous metal...foil from broken beer bottles..tiny little pieces....any time i find a bullet jacket all shreaded i make it a point to find as many of the pieces that broke off of it as possible..because they for all intents and purposes are the same as finding a piece of float with gold in it or a nugget and the small nearby pieces that can be associated with them, a type of practice if you will. Terry i cant wait to hear more of your head to head experiences.They will give insight into how one spot can vary from the other and how two different machines perform in those spots and maybe give some insight into why the machines perform differently...how about you take a pal who can detect you each take a machine work some ground then switch users keeping the spot/machine the same see what happens then switch machines users to opposite spots...sort of a double blind test or something....
Pville,
I hope to be as objective as I can without allowing subjective thoughts worm their way into the videos. One thing I've already noticed: both machines are VERY sensitive! About two people detecting the same ground: It may result in testing two people's STYLE rather than two machine's ability. One more thing, niether machine has "stand still" all metal mode. Something I will miss in the Gold Stinger. Yes, I will miss the Gold Stinger, but I found a younger, more exciting babe! Thanks (all) for your input. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should sell the GB2 right away, to me for what you paid plus shipping. :tongue3:

You can only use one machine at a time anyway and having two gold machines will only mean you have twice as much to learn. Better to stick with just one and learn it. :icon_thumleft:

Pm me with selling price.

Go for the gold!
GG~

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pvillehunter said:

I own an MXT and I have tested it with all sizes of gold pieces, air test, in ground test, it will pick up gold smaller than 1/2 gram, but only 2" or 3" in an air test, less in ground test, and the signal is so faint that if you don't know your MXT you will not hear the signal, so that is why I say 1/2 gram, on several different 1/2 gram pieces of gold my MXT get a OK signal at 4" to 5" in an air test and 3" to 4" in ground test.

I have a 1/4 ounce nugget that the MXT will scream at 8" to 10" in an air test and 6" to 8" in ground test.

There is no way that a MXT will pick up on small gold like the GMT will in a side by side comparison, even thought they are built on the same circuitry, they do not operate on the same frequency, it just will not happen.

Skip

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats why i said very close ;D . but, if you really want an all around detector you can take to a park and to a spot to find nuggets its mxt over gb 2 beacause of the modes.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pvillehunter said:
thats why i said very close ;D . but, if you really want an all around detector you can take to a park and to a spot to find nuggets its mxt over gb 2 beacause of the modes.

I agree, but I still wouldn't get rid of a GB2 just because I had an MXT, they both have their niche.

Skip

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is here to stay , I was more wondering whether it was worth while to keep the GB2 or not .It's funny how many PM's I've gotten asking what I want for the GB2 an what kinda deal will I give em . I just instaled the lower stock shaft to the tall man shaft an added the front lstand to the control box on the MXT, Wow let me tell you if your over 6ft spend the $20 on the tall man lower shaft it makes the machine so much nicer to use with that extra length to fit the machine to you better .

Tank :icon_thumright:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
AU Seeker said:
pvillehunter said:

I own an MXT and I have tested it with all sizes of gold pieces, air test, in ground test, it will pick up gold smaller than 1/2 gram, but only 2" or 3" in an air test, less in ground test, and the signal is so faint that if you don't know your MXT you will not hear the signal, so that is why I say 1/2 gram, on several different 1/2 gram pieces of gold my MXT get a OK signal at 4" to 5" in an air test and 3" to 4" in ground test.

I have a 1/4 ounce nugget that the MXT will scream at 8" to 10" in an air test and 6" to 8" in ground test.

There is no way that a MXT will pick up on small gold like the GMT will in a side by side comparison, even thought they are built on the same circuitry, they do not operate on the same frequency, it just will not happen.

Skip
The GMT may detect a smaller piece of gold than a MXT because of the higher freq, but for the same reason the MXT is a little deeper. on a slighty larger piece.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the gold bug 2 will find small gold due to its higher freq range --its a "specialized machine* --just for gold hunting --so when gold hunting use it for that .

now the MXT as you say is for "general hunting" --fine use it for that

just like you use a steak knife to cut and eat a steak or small meats (MXT) , but a large butching knife (GB2) is better suited to carve a large beef roast with - while their both doing same thing --cutting meat -- each has it own "special" use --while i guess you could use a steak knife to carve a large beef roast if forced to , its not really the "right tool" for the job.

certain freq ranges are better suited for certain uses---by many folks thoughts freq 15 is often the rock bottom minimum level for of "raw" natural gold hunting machines -- normally "specialized" gold machine run at much higher freq.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Geodesic--Beautiful find! Nicely done.

As far as specialized gold detectors go, I have a few as well. I like them for different reasons.

As well, I've just had a 705 shipped to me, and now I'll be learning how to operate the 705 (coins and gold), and learning how to get the most out of the 5000 (highly specialized gold). I've always got more than one machine on the go. I also have an underwater pulse machine for checking the bedrock after I've dredged it. I don't find anything wrong at all with having more than one detector.

Knock yourself out.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread