Here it is! Ground balancing the GMT and GB2

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally! After 4 days of wrestling with my computer to Get my Roxio program to work, it's here! I wish I could use the entire raw footage of video I prepared for this video but then it would be about 22 minutes long. At just over 5 minutes, this is long enough. If you already own a GMT or GB2, you will already know how to ground balance the machine. If you are hanging "on the fence" GMT, or GB2, you will learn that either machine is VERY EASY to ground balance. Which is my choice? The Gold Bug 2. Why? On page 20 of the Whites GMT user manual it states that to get the "tiniest of flakes", you will have to go to manual mode. POOF! Out goes auto pilot! Also, on the included DVD, Even Whites admitted that they were surprized by the "follow the black sand" feature of the GMT. They do not know where this technology will go. Now, enjoy the video. I probably will not do any more. MUCH too much dinking around for the expected returns. Comments, please! TTC
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I am understanding you,but will tell you if you are running in auto all of the time you will miss gold and will disc. out gold if you do not switch to manual and are on a target

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
Not sure if I am understanding you,but will tell you if you are running in auto all of the time you will miss gold and will disc. out gold if you do not switch to manual and are on a target
Thanks, Kuger, for the reply. The video was much too short for the things I wanted to show. The editing process took out portions that explained why tiny flakes would be missed. I simply was showing how easy it was to ground balance the two machines. You are right, if searching in auto mode with the GMT, some of the "tiniest" flakes of gold will be missed. And make no mistake, the tiny flakes are the norm, not big nuggetts! That is why my choice as to which machine I will be using on a daily basis is the GB2. The GMT will be kept as a backup, it is a dynamite machine. My video on the two machines was to show that the GB2 was "as easy" to tune as the GMT was to tune in auto mode. Very small signals found with the GMT will tend to be "balanced out" using the auto mode before it can be "bracketed". (those that want to argue this point are very much encuraged to respond) I recorded some tests burying the gold test strips to determine at what depth the GMT "fails" in auto mode compared to the GB2 manual balance to find the target but must admit that the difference between the two Md's is too close for me to tell. I have not enough time on the machines yet to make that judgement. I am ready to "put it all together" and head towards the creek! Thanks again for the comments. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:One of the detectors I regret getting rid of was my GB2,Heck of a machine!Me and the GMT get along O.K. though

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
:thumbsup:One of the detectors I regret getting rid of was my GB2,Heck of a machine!Me and the GMT get along O.K. though
Good. The GMT is more machine than most can control anyway. That is to say, it is more than adequate to do the job. BTW: two publications that belong in ALL gold detectorists' libraries are pictured below. Fists Full of Gold has an awesome section on the geology of gold. The Nuggetshooter's Bible is geared more towards detectors for prospecting and it is COMPLETE. Tnx TTC (OOPS... the pics... added)

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 779

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Afternoon TC,

Watching you use the GB2 made me nostalgic for my GB1. As I still own it I will do a comparison of it to the GMT when I have the time. I do not recall page 20 of the GMT manual but since you talked about it, it is there. When I used the GMT to test the piles of gravel I'd sifted I was pleased to hear it's zip-zip sound and even more pleased to see the results in my gold pan. Even from the start my gold was enough for the GMT to pickup so I will do a test in auto mode to see how small it will find.

I'm supposed to be out in the mountains today but family matters required I be in the city. Maybe next week I can get away.

Good luck down at the stream! 63bkpkr

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to here from you, 63! Thanks for the comments. Not to worry! The GMT will do you just fine. My preference for the GB2 is just the reality of the beast. The tiniest of flakes is the bread and butter of most outings and manual mode seems to be the way to go. Besides, I cut my teeth with a Gold Stinger (sigh, I'll "Shirley" miss her) but ... onward and upward! One more thing. One of the authors of the books I listed says "follow the black sands" idea is "hogwash". His word. The Whites DVD that comes with the GMT evens says that the "sands" idea was a surprise to them and they don't even know what to make of it yet as the technology is SO new. As for myself, I will hold off on personal comment until I've checked that out. Both authors speak highly of the Minelabs for gold prospecting. The expensive models! P I machines. They also recommend the GB2. O. Richard Norton, a meteorite author I like, also speaks highly of the GB2 for meteor hunting. Now you're up to speed, my friend. Thanks for watching and reading my post. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GMT and GB2 will outshine the minelabs on "ore",gold

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
I HOPE so! $4500 for an md is out of my budget. Right now.(snicker) Tnx. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
kuger said:
I HOPE so! $4500 for an md is out of my budget. Right now.(snicker) Tnx. TTC

Yea,I hear ya,dont get me wrong them M.L. are unreal,especially on deep placer type gold and most guys I know that have had the nerve to put out the multi thousands of dollars for them have paid for themselves several times over.I have used them and have to tell ya digging a bullet at two feet in our hard ground isnt fun!! :laughing7:

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Thanks for the Video. I have a gb 2 It has been a bear to find any gold. None infact. Only because gold in Utah is like unheard of. LOL I like the Video great job. It comfirmed my thoughts and test I have been working on. Now I just need you to make me a video of your secret spot to go detect nuggets.
Keep up the good work buddy. I try and read all your posts.
Rutnbuck

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Buck, Thanks for the vote of confidence! I think the best way to test your detector to see if it is "tuned up" is to make the test strips and use them. Get a nugget, bought if need be, and enclose it in a hot laminated sheet. You can also bury it in a small baggie, tying it off with a stout string or cord, so recovery will be assured. Then do some tests. A SMALL piece of lead will also do. Make other strips for iron, copper, tin can, and others. As for the secret spot.... I would be GLAD to let you know where it is.... two days AFTER I'm finished! Take care, tnx. TTC

geodesic9

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011
Garden Valley, CA (Produce Garden of the 49er's)
Detector(s) used
GB 2
I have also epoxied a split lead fishing weight to the end of a chopstick. I then mark the chopstick in one inch increments. When I get to the site and during my scanning, I drop the chopstick and give it a quick scan to "recalibrate" my brain to the sound I am listening for.

I also bury it shallow in heavy mineralization ground to check how deep I am scanning.

Make up extras as you will loose them.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Terry...the video kept to basics and was very well done. Me and the wife watched it twice!! I have also read Chris Ralph's new book on gold prospecting. I agree with you the mineral section was an informative and fun read.

Thanks again for making the videos...we certainly do appreciate your effort...

Jim.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good post Terry! There is NOT ONE DETECTOR out there that will it do all period! I had a GB a long time ago, but sold it, when I moved up to the Minelab PI. Most of the ground I hunt is heavily mineralized and the 4500 excels over all else, but as said, the iddy-biddy pieces are bread and butter, and that's where the GB2 comes in handy. No one trusts the ML discrimination so another plus for the GB2. I have since bought another one.
Shep

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, any of you guys that may be looking for a gold detector in the near future should really consider the GB Pro. I have been detecting for many years and have used GB1, GB2, Eureka Gold and many others along with my trusty 3000 for a long time. There virtually is no ground balance to learn as it is fully automatic. And before anyone says anything about not being able to go manual , there is no need. I thought this was just a another in a series of detectors to fill a void and put new pictures in a catalog. I have been using it now for almost 3 months and it is a fantastic unit. With the automatic ground balance it is every bit as sensitive to small sub grains of gold as the GBII and any other VLF on the market. I have found crumbs that are weighing in at two tenths of a grain with a very clear signal. I have found 1.2 dwt piece at 9 inches. This unit is not a toy and is very easy to learn to use and will get you gold if you are over it. I was a bit leery when it first came out but it has proved me wrong as can be. I normally do not endorse much of anything but this really is a great machine. I have started many topics on the other gold forums with more details on some of the features this detector offers. I know how hard it is to break into gold detecting. I have shown many people over the last 25 years how to detect, prospect for gold and this unit really does shine. Just my opinons, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread