Help choosing a Nugget detector

Jobey1

Sep 25, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
I'm posting for my dad who is looking to buy a detector to use for searching for gold. He doesnt want to spend more than $500. We've done lots of research but opinions seem to be all over the board. Most of the gold detectors are about $650 or more except for the Gold bug SE. Is the GB SE worth the money? Are there any other detectors under $500 that are good for gold? What about the Tesoro Deleon? Any help would be appreciated. Thnx

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jobey1,
There are several threads below about the GMT vs Gold Bug, the GB and other brands of gold detectors and you need to be very careful in purchasing a GB right now as I believe the model to buy is the GB Pro (if you want a GB). I think your question can be answered by reading the existing posts. As someone else mentioned a Gold Only detector is one of the hardest to learn and use. The MXT by Whites is considered a very good combination machine that is coins/jewelry/relics as well as a Gold machine all rolled into one unit. The MXT is also discussed in the same threads I've noted above (read the posts by "Old & Slow).

I hope your Dad has a great time with this hobby/sport and good luck with your purchase. 63bkpkr

PS - I own the Whites GMT and found a sweet spot with it this summer, see my posts under Goldmining/Sluicing

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must disagree... a little, with 63's staement that gold machines are the hardest to use. Let's re-phrase that to say SPECIALIZED machines are harder to learn than "turn on and go" machines. There is alot more user input required. But if you wish to find gold you will probably want the specialized machine.... which means more bucks. TTC

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never stated the degree of experience of your Pops and thats the #1 MOST IMPORTANT fact for determining what to buy---1,000s a units on the net for next to nuttn'-used but not abused abound a plenty-BUY AMERICAN-THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN---John :read2:

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
The new Goldbugs are easy to use and loaded with features and they don't break the bank are made in the USA and have the best warranty out of all the major manufacturers(Tesoro is not a major manufacturer). I was at a GPAA show recently and played with all the units on display-most sensitive to small nuggets in air, in order are;
GBPro and SE which are equal-next GB2, GMT, Lobo, MXT, F75, T2, Xterra 705, Eureka
TDI, Infinium, ML pulse.

Pulse are deepest on the big stuff

Winners on multi purpose and additional features; GBPro/SE, MXT, F75, Xterra 705, T2, Lobo,

GMT, GB2, Eureka and pulse units do poorly for multi purpose use and features.

MXT has too many hidden menu items and its difficult to navigate while I don't like the fact Minelab is made in Malasia and ownership is down under meaning little money stays in the US. The Xterra also was created for people with alien lenth fingers and thumbs with no real thought for functioning and pushing buttons unless your fingers and thumbs are freakishly long and agile-pretty embarrassing for an expensive detector-someone should have been fired for not thinking this through......

Hope this helps and only my opinion as I saw it first hand-I am partial to FTP and David Johnson designs because of what I see in units he had a hand in. I also like Whites as far as outstanding customer service. The Garrett Scorpion does not compete and the new AT Pro without threshhold or all metal might work but will not compete unlesssomthing spectacular was done, time will tell.
JT

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: Tesoro Lobo Supertraq--best in the biz-warranity forever--American made in Arizona--disc--auto traq--many modes--unit hip/chest mountable for a 1 1/2lb unit soooooooooo ez to carry. I sold for many years,every brand of detector available, and am NOT trying to get in your pocketbook,just luv my TLST---coins,relics,gold it does it all and built industrial tough-John :laughing7:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hoser John said:
:notworthy: Tesoro Lobo Supertraq--best in the biz-warranity forever--American made in Arizona--disc--auto traq--many modes--unit hip/chest mountable for a 1 1/2lb unit soooooooooo ez to carry. I sold for many years,every brand of detector available, and am NOT trying to get in your pocketbook,just luv my TLST---coins,relics,gold it does it all and built industrial tough-John :laughing7:
I agree.And my second choice for your dad would be the Garrett Scorpion.Both machines are very versitile and light and have excellent American warranties.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
warsawdaddy said:
Hoser John said:
I agree.And my second choice for your dad would be the Garrett Scorpion.Both machines are very versitile and light and have excellent American warranties.
The Scorpion is old technology and eats 9v batts, The Lobo doesn't have a manual ground bal. option, but is way better than the Scorpion. JMO

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Dad needs to join a club . This way he can see WHO'S finding WHAT and the machine they are finding it WITH . Now after joining a club he will be surrounded by like minded folks that are willing to help . Everybody has a "back-up" machine which they will gladly lend him as well as instruct him on the use . He will soon find one that he is comfortable with . Sometimes these "helpful" souls have unterior motives . If dad finds a machine he likes the owner will very often agree to sell at a "used" price which brings many fine machines into dad's $500 range . The deal must be fair since the entire club will know about it and one's reputation is at stake .The reason for all this generosity is that mama will then let the seller move up to a better machine since he now has some cash to throw in the pot and it's not all "house money". The teacher wins , dad wins and mama's happy . Remember "When mama isn't happy NOBODYS happy".
My primary machine is a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq . My "clean up" machine is a SD2100v2 and my back-up is a SD2200d . I lend them freely since these are kinda expensive machines and I want folks to be sure before they plunk down the big bucks . A $500 machine sitting in the closet unused is not as bad as a $1500 machine sitting in the closet unused .
Bottom line : join a club and pay attention . Good luck .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: YAHOO Tom :icon_thumright: I lend mine too Tom and go out with newbies for free,they just tag along and use myrighteous GB2,TLST or GS and good to go. Disc,all metal and notch are the best a all worlds and after a few hours in the sun,a rattler or two and a good cases a poison oak or cactus cures the fever in the mass majority. Howz AZ treating ya now Tom??Tons a au 2 u2 -John

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paratrooper said:
Dad needs to join a club . This way he can see WHO'S finding WHAT and the machine they are finding it WITH . Now after joining a club he will be surrounded by like minded folks that are willing to help . Everybody has a "back-up" machine which they will gladly lend him as well as instruct him on the use . He will soon find one that he is comfortable with . Sometimes these "helpful" souls have unterior motives . If dad finds a machine he likes the owner will very often agree to sell at a "used" price which brings many fine machines into dad's $500 range . The deal must be fair since the entire club will know about it and one's reputation is at stake .The reason for all this generosity is that mama will then let the seller move up to a better machine since he now has some cash to throw in the pot and it's not all "house money". The teacher wins , dad wins and mama's happy . Remember "When mama isn't happy NOBODYS happy".
My primary machine is a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq . My "clean up" machine is a SD2100v2 and my back-up is a SD2200d . I lend them freely since these are kinda expensive machines and I want folks to be sure before they plunk down the big bucks . A $500 machine sitting in the closet unused is not as bad as a $1500 machine sitting in the closet unused .
Bottom line : join a club and pay attention . Good luck .
I like his thinking :icon_thumleft:

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Hoser John said:
:icon_thumleft: YAHOO Tom :icon_thumright: I lend mine too Tom and go out with newbies for free,they just tag along and use myrighteous GB2,TLST or GS and good to go. Disc,all metal and notch are the best a all worlds and after a few hours in the sun,a rattler or two and a good cases a poison oak or cactus cures the fever in the mass majority. Howz AZ treating ya now Tom??Tons a au 2 u2 -John

AZ is great . I live about 40 miles south of Gold Basin . Stanton and Rich Hill are not too far . There is a lot of gold left here . I'm suprised at all the gold that is found every week/month . Good luck to ya .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread