I need some help from you Californians

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
I need some help from you Californian's

I finally retired whoopeeeee! I was raised in southern Calif. but I am thinking of moving to Paradise or Chico area. I would like to be close to the mother load. I have been detecting for 17 years, but have never had the chance to look for gold. Is the Paradise area in a good location in relation to nugget shooting? I sold my MXT because it was too heavy after an hour or so. I'm looking into the GMT, Gold bug pro and the Lobo ST. Any suggestions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I need some help from you Californian's

I will not be of much help but it seems like either town would be in the vicinity of historical gold prospecting. Go on line and look up Gold Maps. There is a company out there that sells maps that show historical mining for gold. Once you've found them you should be able to look up some info about the area you are thinking of moving to.

I have a GMT and have found gold with it, I plan on finding more with it this summer. I have all three coils for it with the 8 x 14 being brand new and untried. You should be aware that the hip mount for the XLT fits other white's detectors like the GMT. The hipmount allows much of the weight of the unit to be carried by the trunk of your body instead of all in one or the other arm. Also there is an item called Doc's "Swiny Thingy", it is a support system for any detector. I also have Doc's ST but again have not used it but will soon. I've a post up and its something like New Coil for GMT, you can see part of the hipmont system there.

Also, I use a "Batpan" as well as other panning devices.

Have fun and good luck with your choices..........63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GB pro has been junk in any hot areas-bummer too. TLST is my universal favorites-from the motherlode to Kauai to Costa Rica and all points between it's rocked :headbang: Paradise and that killer road are a HUGE pain in the arse in the winter months,snow snow snow,icy roads,and a lot of power outages -some for weeks. Chico puts you there but a VULTURE town predicated on fleecing the college students and anyone else they can ripoff. Lived there for 9 months-sold house at a loss to get the LL outta there. Zillion drunk students,car and house insurance(because of drunken idjets)through the roof. BOOM BOOM BOMM from a zillion boomboxes,massive parties and 1 noisy place. sorry--I'd definately look deeper into what your getting into. Rent first as heaven turns into LL right quick like-John

OP
OP
leatherneck

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP

Thanks Hoser John; I have friends that live in Chico and have been there a few times and your right, I wouldn't want to live there. I am tired of snow and ice so I should look a little closer to I-5. Maybe Yuba City area?? There are a lot of small towns along the 5. How do you like Redding?? I have been there but never really looked around. LST it is!! How far a drive is it to get somewhere that you can nugget shoot, from Redding?? Have a great day..

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been in redding 22+ years. I've named it "The sweaty armpit of the once great san juaquin valley". Hot as LL in the summer--which I almost like except when over 115-then not much fun, 10-12 days a year.. Cold in the winter but snow usually don't last a day or so. Good storm that sticks every 5-7 years but for a week or so. Nuttn' compared to say Reno. Any incline off the valley floor brings snow-auburn/grass valley yes but down the hill Yuba marysville no. CRIME/GANGS in that necka the woods too. Redding not nearly so much, redneck town but with revolving door for criminals as no money and jail sits 1/2 empty as no cash to operate...sic sic sic -lotza luck-John

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You may want to check out the Quincy area, and especially LaPorte....just a thought.....SushiDog

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you need to take a bike trip. ;D

Lots of places to check out you might like. Add Weaverville, Sonora and Mariposa to the list to explore.

geodesic9

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011
Garden Valley, CA (Produce Garden of the 49er's)
Detector(s) used
GB 2

Look at the area between Hiway 80 and Hiway 50. The Georgetown or Foresthill Divide areas are great places to live and still be close to the highway system. Look to buy below 2000 feet. We call it "Above the fog, below the snow" area.

We live in Garden Valley which is just above Coloma, the Gold Discovery Site.

Still got gold around here.

Attachments

• DSCF2021.JPG
    DSCF2021.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 378

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I was born and raised in Dunsmuir, ca and loved it till it died when the railroad took a crap there. I moved to Graeagle, ca and love it. The snow does fly here, mounting to several feet but the summers are very nice with a peak never above 90. With 7 golf courses within 10 miles the crowd is mostly retired people. Population around 1k i guess. There are a few repo's to be had around here also. Also reno is our main shopping hub, and its only 55 min away. The gold is very close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread