SC gold hunting

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
I would like to know if anyone here in our community could tell me where I could hunt for gold
in South Carolina? I have done a ton of research but do not know where the public can pan, sluice
or metal detect for gold. I have called SC DNR and they were not very helpful or knowledgeable
on the subject. Any help would be appreciated. I am a member of the GPAA and their mining guide
is not updated as calls to property owners once allowing access do not allow anymore.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cooperriver

Upvote 0

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cooperriver,
I live in SC and I just recently got into panning. You said you've done a "ton of research", have you checked out the info online about the Carolina Gold Belt. If you do a search on Google you'll find a lot of links about it. That area (belt) that runs from Alabama, through Ga, SC, NC and on into Virginia is where most of the gold has historically been found. It's in the Piedmont area of our state. I'm lucky in that I live in Greenwood which is close to where the belt runs through. It actually run through Abbeville which is only 14 miles from me. I've only been panning for a short time but I have already found some color in 2 creeks in Abbeville County.

Where to legally pan:
From what I have found out you can legally pan for gold in all of the National Forest land. The 2 creeks where I've found a few flakes of gold are in Sumter National Forest. From seeing your username, Cooperriver, I assume you live in the Lowcountry. If I'm correct you're probably close to Francis Marion National Forest. You should be able to find some decent creeks in the NF to pan and it's legal to do so.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find. But not where. ;)

OP
OP
C

cooperriver

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Hi stand watie,
Yes I live in the lowcountry.
Are you trying to get me to pan in the swamp? As you said gold belt is in the northern part of the state.
I also have the gold maps--only good for estimation of where to find or gold that has been already mined.
I will be coming up your way in a couple of weeks. Got permit from ranger station in abbeville.
Private property is a concern for them as the national forest is intertwined with private property.
In the past lot of years I have been diving all of the rivers in the coastal area and if any gold were to be found around here I believe I would have found some by now.
Only gold around here is buried pirate treasure and shipwrecks with possible gold on board.
Found a lot of wrecks but no gold yet.
One day I will.
HGH
Cooperriver

mmarty

Oct 21, 2013
Augusta Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where to legally pan:
From what I have found out you can legally pan for gold in all of the National Forest land. The 2 creeks where I've found a few flakes of gold are in Sumter National Forest. From seeing your username, Cooperriver, I assume you live in the Lowcountry. If I'm correct you're probably close to Francis Marion National Forest. You should be able to find some decent creeks in the NF to pan and it's legal to do so.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find. But not where. ;)

What tools and equipment i.e. Shovels, Sluice, buckets can you use at Sumter or is it pans and hands only?

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in spartanburg so the upstate. I just recently got into panning. Got a pretty good spot lined up soon. I wish you best of luck!! And hello to my fellow SC Hunters haha

uscphil

Sep 21, 2013
Salem, SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in spartanburg so the upstate. I just recently got into panning. Got a pretty good spot lined up soon. I wish you best of luck!! And hello to my fellow SC Hunters haha
I am glad you have someplace lined up. I would like to come along if you could use another hand. I have been doing this for about 6 months and I found gold only in NC. I went up near LDMA drive and panned the other day on a beautiful mountain creek but nothing. I have been all over SC and it is so difficult to find a good creek that people will allow access to.

After last night I feel like giving up but I am very impulsive and if I think there might be a chance to find anything I will keep on keeping' on. I know with more than 1 person it must get easier. My friends and family pretty much could care less about my hobby especially since I never return with anything.

I am near Greenville and I am ready to go anytime to anyplace in SC/GA/NC and would be grateful if anyone on TN would give me a try. I am a good person, willing to do whatever it takes. Thank you or letting me vent a little. Good luck at your spot by the way.

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's not many from the upstate on TNet from what I've seen here. It'd be nice if we could all get together and meet up sometime soon.

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes maybe we can! I just got into it a few months ago and I'll just say I'm really bad at it and would love for somebody to teach me! The place I'm thinking of is just over the SC/NC border

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Live in central TN myself N of Nashville- have the time to kill am interested in gold hunting/panning in the Ga/Sc regions, am looking for tips and an accomplice to go with who has the time to spare to go. Anybody found any Gold in your expeditions?- Frank

P.s. yeah that is my pic few years ago was horsing around with a sheet, BB gun and a sword- probably should update or change it anyway :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread