Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for first gold detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1606 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hmmm. BIG decision to make! Tnx. The slide show shows some "vistas" off the "climb" up to Yarnell. I think TimC and I saw you fellows filming that day. We were going downbound just then. Take care, my friend. TTC
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144:1

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1385 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hmm, interesting thread about the TDI versus Lobo. I will ask about what you refer to when you indicate the Lobo is more durable than the TDI, what problems have you had or that you know of with the TDI and if possible which of the TDI's are we speaking about(TDI, TDI Pro, TDI SL).

"The Season" approaches (prospecting in norcal) and I am filling out my wish list of things that would be good to bring with me.......63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Michael

Jul 2008
    Elgin, SC
    White's V3i, DFX 300; Looking to add Fisher Gold Bug II and eventually Minelab GPX 4500 or 5000
    2 times
    When purchasing a dedicated gold detector, keep in mind where you are most likely to use this machine. Prospecting for gold in AK is different than prospecting in AZ. Find the machine suited to your area, especially the ability to handle hot rocks, cold rocks, junk, etc. Of course, ANY machine will find gold and I mean ANY machine whether it is gold dedicated or not. However, do you want to beat yourself to death deciphering signals and continually ground balancing every step of the way? Also, small gold and large gold at greater depths calls for a host of different choices in machines.

The above being said, a beginner will do well with a White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug I or II, a White's MXT or even the White's Spectra V3i. These machines are relatively easy to use, are devoid or complicated adjustments and get the job done. For the serious prospector, White's TDI and the Minelab GPX series among others. Nevertheless, one does not have to spend thousands on a machine to find gold. It is the person and not the machine that finds the gold. Dig most signals, get to know your machine, plant a test garden and last but not least, look for gold where gold has been found before. And research, research, research. A good overview of gold detectors from a very respected prospector and businessman, Steve Herschbach, is found at Alaska Mining and Diving Supply, Inc. www.akmining.com
    TerryC likes this.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3195 times
    Metal Detecting
    You can bounce a Lobo off the back of your quad, go back, pick it up, turn it on and prospect. Do NOT try that with ANY TDI or Minelab.

Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Hmm, interesting thread about the TDI versus Lobo. I will ask about what you refer to when you indicate the Lobo is more durable than the TDI, what problems have you had or that you know of with the TDI and if possible which of the TDI's are we speaking about(TDI, TDI Pro, TDI SL).

"The Season" approaches (prospecting in norcal) and I am filling out my wish list of things that would be good to bring with me.......63bkpkr
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Reg

Aug 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
    98 times
    CalGeo,

I have the Tesoro LST, a GM 4 but not the GMT, and I have a TDI and a TDI SL. With that said, I can say the TDI and SL are tough detectors that will take abuse. I know, I bounce mine around quite a bit and they still work fine.

The LST is also good detector but outdated in some ways. In fact, I did the field test of the LST For Lost treasure back in the late 90's so I am quite familiar with just how that detector works also.

Picking a detector is a personal choice and is something you probably should make on your own after trying the finalists you have in mind. I recommend you try to find someone who has one of those you are thinking about and see if you can tag along to see how it works. Each of us has likes and dislikes and there is no one detector that does it all or one that is perfect in all aspects. Unfortunately, it does take a while to get used to any detector and many people don't have the patience to learn some of the complexities that are involved with some of them. That is why it is not that uncommon to see a basically new detector for sale.

The TDI and TDI SL are PI's, which act differently than a VLF and won't find gold as small as the VLF's but are also not plagued by the black sand that can cause issues with the VLF's mentioned.

If the area you will be hunting mainly has very small gold, then the VLF's will probably be the best choice. One grain or sub grain gold is found easier with a VLF and most likely will be ignored when using a PI like one of the TDI's. Here in Colorado, the VLF is more common and is the more likely choice. I have, however, been successful with a PI here so, I carry both.

I have hunted about every type ground both here in CO and in AZ, including Rich Hill in AZ. In fact, I used to be friends with the previous owners, the late Jack Culp and his wife Laura. So, I was lucky enough to hunt the private ground (the famous Potato Patch) with the owners many years ago.

Now, just where I have hunted has nothing to do with your choice except that I have hunted some of the really bad ground many people talk about, so I know what to expect.

All the detectors mentioned should serve you well. The auto ground balance on the LST works fine, but I don't like the idea you can't turn it off. I prefer the Alkali mode for reasons not normally mentioned, but noted in my field test. However, in the Alkali mode, finding certain meteorites can be a problem.

The ground grab or whatever you want to call it on the GMT works well also. Again, I have used one but don't own one. I hope to get one in the near future though.

The PI's, the TDI and the SL are better at handling some of the really bad ground, but do suffer when it comes to detecting the very small gold. People have found 1 grainers with them but at the same time, similar size nuggets will simply not be detected because of the nugget characteristics. When the gold gets above several grains, then the PI has a tendency to excel. Increase the size to a few grams, and again, the PI will quite often find them deeper. There will be exceptions but as a general rule, the PI does have some advantages when hunting the larger gold.

Regardless of which detector you select, practice and testing are the key to success. Issues such as how easily a piece of magnetite or a granite rock with magnetite in it can mask a gold nugget are things one should know about. This isn't much of a problem with a PI since magnetite is generally ignored by the TDI family.

Reg
    TerryC likes this.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3195 times
    Metal Detecting
    Gosh Reg, that was a GREAT post! I mean, I don't even like the TDI and I thought you made some very good points - Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    CalGeo,

I have the Tesoro LST, a GM 4 but not the GMT, and I have a TDI and a TDI SL. With that said, I can say the TDI and SL are tough detectors that will take abuse. I know, I bounce mine around quite a bit and they still work fine.

The LST is also good detector but outdated in some ways. In fact, I did the field test of the LST For Lost treasure back in the late 90's so I am quite familiar with just how that detector works also.

Picking a detector is a personal choice and is something you probably should make on your own after trying the finalists you have in mind. I recommend you try to find someone who has one of those you are thinking about and see if you can tag along to see how it works. Each of us has likes and dislikes and there is no one detector that does it all or one that is perfect in all aspects. Unfortunately, it does take a while to get used to any detector and many people don't have the patience to learn some of the complexities that are involved with some of them. That is why it is not that uncommon to see a basically new detector for sale.

The TDI and TDI SL are PI's, which act differently than a VLF and won't find gold as small as the VLF's but are also not plagued by the black sand that can cause issues with the VLF's mentioned.

If the area you will be hunting mainly has very small gold, then the VLF's will probably be the best choice. One grain or sub grain gold is found easier with a VLF and most likely will be ignored when using a PI like one of the TDI's. Here in Colorado, the VLF is more common and is the more likely choice. I have, however, been successful with a PI here so, I carry both.

I have hunted about every type ground both here in CO and in AZ, including Rich Hill in AZ. In fact, I used to be friends with the previous owners, the late Jack Culp and his wife Laura. So, I was lucky enough to hunt the private ground (the famous Potato Patch) with the owners many years ago.

Now, just where I have hunted has nothing to do with your choice except that I have hunted some of the really bad ground many people talk about, so I know what to expect.

All the detectors mentioned should serve you well. The auto ground balance on the LST works fine, but I don't like the idea you can't turn it off. I prefer the Alkali mode for reasons not normally mentioned, but noted in my field test. However, in the Alkali mode, finding certain meteorites can be a problem.

The ground grab or whatever you want to call it on the GMT works well also. Again, I have used one but don't own one. I hope to get one in the near future though.

The PI's, the TDI and the SL are better at handling some of the really bad ground, but do suffer when it comes to detecting the very small gold. People have found 1 grainers with them but at the same time, similar size nuggets will simply not be detected because of the nugget characteristics. When the gold gets above several grains, then the PI has a tendency to excel. Increase the size to a few grams, and again, the PI will quite often find them deeper. There will be exceptions but as a general rule, the PI does have some advantages when hunting the larger gold.

Regardless of which detector you select, practice and testing are the key to success. Issues such as how easily a piece of magnetite or a granite rock with magnetite in it can mask a gold nugget are things one should know about. This isn't much of a problem with a PI since magnetite is generally ignored by the TDI family.

Reg
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1947 times
    Detectors are just like women--one mans heaven is yet anothers LL...My 3 have been with me for years--unlike all my wives hahaha, and much more reliable GB2(lookn' for the new Gold Bug Pro) Tesoro Lobo ST and my crazy ol' righteous notch machine Golden Sabre--smallest coils rock om all dedicated gold machines--Each shines in their own area of expertise and NONE find squat in the closet gathering dust. tons a au 2 u2 -John

us
    USN Ret.

Mar 2012
    Greer, SC
    Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
    16 times
    Nothing about the Garrett AT Gold? Did I make the wrong purchase?

Reg

Aug 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
    98 times
    Hi Chatman,

I didn't mention the AT Gold because I have never tried one. Now that I am retired, my toy buying has slowed down a lot so I don't get to try all the goodies like I used to.

Now, with that said, I would like to say, I think everyone at one time or the other wonders if they made the right choice after they purchase a detector.What's worse is you will find a quirk or two that will bug you and see something or read something about a different detector that will further make you wonder.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you and simply take time to learn all the nuances of your detector. That is half the battle of any machine whether it be the low end model or the most expensive. Each and every one has its good and bad points, advantages and disadvantages. The more you learn about your detector, the greater the chances of success.

I have no doubt it will find gold or other valuable items for that matter. It is simply a matter of getting the coil over a good object within the range of the coil and having the detector set properly.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Reg
    chatmangreer likes this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1491 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Reg has given you some very sound advice.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1606 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow, Reg! That was a good post. You need to post more often. I, personally, would like to see more of the same! Tnx. TTC
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144:1

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1491 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    Wow, Reg! That was a good post. You need to post more often. I, personally, would like to see more of the same! Tnx. TTC
    I'm with Terry on this one Reg--anytime you're ready, it would be appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1385 times
    Hi Reg,
    I will be the third person to invite you to post more as your comments are well stated as well as informative.

Thank you for sharing........63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Diablo II "Gold Demon", Whites GMT, TreasureMaster PI 3000, Falcon MD20, Vibraprobe
    185 times
    Prospecting
    I have and use both the LST and the GMT. I use the LST when I go up and down steep tailing piles, and hills that I climb using my paleo pick to assist myself up with one hand and the LST in the other. The weight and size of the LST in that kind of situation is perfect, although I sometimes change the coil to to one of the 5.25's because that 10" elliptical is a little heavy. I think the auto GB is more responsive on the GMT, and you can turn the GB to manual on the GMT. That has been one of my gripes with the LST, you can't turn the GB to manual. Also the GB not adjustable in Disc mode. I wish Tesoro would update some of these things on the existing line that users have been complaining about for years. Whites, and Garrett is moving right along with new machines or updates all the time.

us
    Jul 2008
    Minelab Excal 2- Fisher F-2 - AT PRO
    54 times
    I've heard that the AT gold is a great machine. I'm looking at the Nokta golden sense. It's supposed to go really deep. Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors