Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some detectors would "see" that gold. They won't see flour gold unless it's really compacted together. A Fisher Gold Bug, or GBII, or White's GMT, or others, will see anything larger than the head of a pin.
Jim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some detectors would "see" that gold. They won't see flour gold unless it's really compacted together. A Fisher Gold Bug, or GBII, or White's GMT, or others, will see anything larger than the head of a pin.
Jim

Yes, and no. If the surrounding minerals are not too hot, your older detector may see the gold--if it's a gold detecting machine and not a coin machine. If you'll give the name of the machine, someone on here can most likely give you a very good idea of whether you'll be able to look for gold in quartz or not.

If it's a huge mass of gold in quartz, and there's not a lot of hot mineralization, a metal detector should find it, regardless. But, that's a very, very slim chance. Most likely the gold will be small and finely disseminated.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked it a Discovery 1100 model and it says it is a coin detector. I didnt know there was a difference in machine types. My wife bought it for me when we lived in Fl to use on the beaches. I never made it to the beach.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked it a Discovery 1100 model and it says it is a coin detector. I didnt know there was a difference in machine types. My wife bought it for me when we lived in Fl to use on the beaches. I never made it to the beach.

It's made by Bounty Hunter. It's a VLF (very Low Frequency 6.7 kHz) while it is designed as a coin and jewelry shooter it would still be good for gold nuggets of a gram or more. The bigger the nugget the deeper it should find it up to a maximum of about 8" deep (depending on the soil) for a half oz. nugget or larger.

Get the small 4" coil for nugget shooting The 8" coil it comes with will be useless on small nuggets. For maximum depth keep the detector set in all metal mode and NO discrimination and dig all targets. Surprisingly for a low price metal detector it will handle the mineralization really well. Also adjust the sensitivity to just barely above the threshold and use headphones for best results.

With all that being said. It's much better to get a full blown VLF gold detector that operates at a higher frequency 49kHz to 71 kHz to insure that even small pieces of gold will be detected.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your knowledge on this. I have used it before and found scrap so far but winter is coming and that is a good time to go for me.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your knowledge on this. I have used it before and found scrap so far but winter is coming and that is a good time to go for me.

Good fortune to you.....
If you do find a nugget with that detector its bound to be worth some $ :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread