Sovereign GT on Gold

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any detector will find a gold nugget if it is large enough and shallow enough. The Sov is a good detector but not one that would be anyone's first choice as a nugget detector. Good jewelry machine though.

Steve Herschbach

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might be wasting your time in the field with a Sovereign GT. Like Steve said, if it's shallow or big enough it will find a nugget depending on minerlization. Sometimes even a regular VLF gold detector won't penetrate more than a couple of inches. Here in Colorado gold country, the nuggets are small, and the minerlization is high, not a good combination for your detector.

OP
OP
J

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Thanks all, I live in CO and was just curious.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much is it you want to put in to this? I don't know the cost of the GT, but I'm sure you'll get others to tell you minelab gpx5000. Great if you've got 5k+. Lol. I didn't get that one. I went with Garrett AT Gold. It just depends on size of nugget. Good luck.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Colorado there's a lot of wire gold, and the PI units tend to miss it. They just arn't used here that often unless your looking for relics.

kristenBeck

Jan 4, 2013
I just ordered the Garrett AT Gold for prospecting with my husband, he's excited about the underwater aspect, I'm excited because it came with lots of accesories! Typical girl...my question to az guy have you had success finding anything?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kristen. I just started in this hobby. So far found more gold by accident (when wasn't looking). I'm targeting a spot where I found some and hoping next week 1/9 to go out for a day. I've talked to other prospectors and seen what can detect. Especially here in AZ. I could fill ya in more next week. So far I found nails, busted point from pick and other trash. Just trying to familiarize myself. They say it takes about 100 hrs to get good with it. I've got a good handle on it after about 5 hrs. Just need to hit my area. Lol

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kristen. You guys in AZ? I'm always looking for somebody who might be able to go with. My hunts are during the week and sometimes weekends.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bad mistake if you only ordered one, because the one not swinging the detector will be digging.:laughing7:

I just ordered the Garrett AT Gold for prospecting with my husband, he's excited about the underwater aspect, I'm excited because it came with lots of accesories! Typical girl...my question to az guy have you had success finding anything?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah that's true. I made sure when mine was ordered. We got another. Though not as expensive. Bounty Hunter 505 Pro. Just over 100. Part of KellyCo special. My kids use that one.
The other day up north. Me and my son were practicing with our new toys. Lol. I hit a target that showed a 32 ID. I passed it up. We had already dug up some nails, and I just didn't feel like digging up another. The next morning, while I was sleeping, my son sneaks out to detect. He comes running back in after a couple minutes and shows me a pocketknife. I asked him to show me where he found it. It was the same spot that I didn't want to dig.
Good thing about it? My boy found it. He was soooo proud. Smiled from ear to ear. He then asked if he could keep it. Of course I said yes. Finders keepers. Right?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah that's true. I made sure when mine was ordered. We got another. Though not as expensive. Bounty Hunter 505 Pro. Just over 100. Part of KellyCo special. My kids use that one.
The other day up north. Me and my son were practicing with our new toys. Lol. I hit a target that showed a 32 ID. I passed it up. We had already dug up some nails, and I just didn't feel like digging up another. The next morning, while I was sleeping, my son sneaks out to detect. He comes running back in after a couple minutes and shows me a pocketknife. I asked him to show me where he found it. It was the same spot that I didn't want to dig.
Good thing about it? My boy found it. He was soooo proud. Smiled from ear to ear. He then asked if he could keep it. Of course I said yes. Finders keepers. Right?

Nice when that happens.

All the best,

Lanny

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Passing on our lifestyle and our values to our little ones is something that helps motivates us.
DSC01544 (640x480).jpg

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kristen. I went out a couple weeks back. Didn't find gold, but I found out that I can't defy gravity and broke my ankle. Hoping to get back again in a couple more weeks to area I had found gold at before panning. This time I'll try not to climb something I shouldn't. My wife sure gave me some grief. Worrywart. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions