Burried Gold

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard that back in the day miners would sometimes stash their gold somewhere or bury it out in the woods so nobody would find it. And sometimes they would die or get killed by somebody so nobody would ever know about it. Anyone ever find a stash like that while metal detecting? Sounds like a cool thing to look for but I wouldn't know where to start looking..

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an empty safe once in the middle of nowhere too:dontknow: also Near Lone Pine CA. I found a shovel under a remote overhang Dated 1933....awesome so I decided to dig under it....right away...Mason jar....Im pretty excited......pull it out....empty....dang it....I found seven in the same hole all empty and with the lids on??????

1933 and empty jars. My guess would be moonshine ... all evaporated now!

-Ammo

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True story- back in the very early '70's I ended up in NE Oregon where I went to work part time for a small town funeral home while trying to put together enough money to go to college. The man I worked for had just bought the funeral home a year earlier, and told me that he had bought it from the estate of the deceased former owner who had owned and run the place for almost 50 years. After buying the place, he was in the basement trying to figure out how he was going to upgrade the old coal furnace and as he crawled around in back between the wall and furnace, he found two large old coffee cans full of extracted gold teeth and gold bridgework that the former owner had 'borrowed' from his deceased customers over the years!
Of course this was illegal to do, but since the last person to look inside a dead person's mouth is the undertaker, the chance of getting caught was rather low. The new owner took the gold to the big city, and sold it for enough money to cover the cost of what he had paid for the funeral home. So old funeral parlors might be a place to scout for old dental gold removed by some of the old time undertakers. In talking to other old timers in the trade over the years, I heard this was not an uncommon practice. Also, folks who are cremated upon death and have gold teeth and bridgework in thier mouths end up contributing to the crematorium's 'underground' economy when the gold melts and ends up in the fire brickwork of the crematorium's furnace. There is no telling where one might find gold . . . . .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread