My First Nugget - I Have Named It - Banana Nugget
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: My First Nugget - I Have Named It - Banana Nugget

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2188 times
    Prospecting

My First Nugget - I Have Named It - Banana Nugget

Yesterday was a bust as I really did not get to use my MD much. A friend of mine invited himself to go with me. I knew it was a mistake as there would not be much for him to do but to hang out and bother other members of the club. So to get him involved we decided to go crevicing with the crevice vac I built. We manage to suck up four 5 gallon buckets from bedrock and cracks in the rocks in about 9 hours. We move boulders and pried open crevices to reach the goodies inside. We panned maybe a 3rd of one bucket to see what we found. I recovered some really small flecks of gold to this point, but I have a lot of dirt to pan still.

I had Monday off and decided to go down to the claim area with only the MD. Below are the results after about one hour into the day. The nugget was found about 3 inches below the surface and about 4 feet from the bottom of a wash on the side embankment of the wash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bananagold.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	757038
    Last edited by AzViper; Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4549 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is the prettiest Banana I've ever seen! Well done!! Was this found using the Gold Bug?............63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2188 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    That is the prettiest Banana I've ever seen! Well done!! Was this found using the Gold Bug?............63bkpkr
    Sorry... I mention MD but did not say what MD. Yes I used my recently puchased Fisher Gold Bug Pro.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    May 2009
    Quahog County, Texas
    Minelab Explorer SE
    490 times
    Mighty SWEET banana! Excellent!
    "a consensus is merely the inability to make a decision"...Margaret Thatcher

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6164 times
    Prospecting
    Banana definitely fits it...congrats on the sweet find!

And even better, you found it with your new Gold Bug Pro! Can't wait to get mine on order,
    and planning to get the 2 coil version to have a little more flexibility in hunting. Which coil were
    you using when you found the nugget? Was it a solid signal, or fainter one?
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Fan-freakin' 'tastic!! Nicely done Viper.

I knew you had it in you--a genuine banana bonanza!

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us

Sep 2012
    2188 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    Banana definitely fits it...congrats on the sweet find!

And even better, you found it with your new Gold Bug Pro! Can't wait to get mine on order,
    and planning to get the 2 coil version to have a little more flexibility in hunting. Which coil were
    you using when you found the nugget? Was it a solid signal, or fainter one?
    I was using the 5 inch coil. Although it’s small and does not cover a large area it has its benefits where a much large coil would get hung up. I found I was able to stick the coil into brush without getting the coil caught. At 1 gram the hit was very strong and the dirt that the Banana was in was very hard. Where it was located and the looks of the nugget suggest that it was not brought to its final resting location by turbulent waters. I do not know how the nugget was laying as I completely unearth the nugget before seeing it on the 2nd penetration from my Royal pick.

Back when I was deciding on a metal detector it was Ray Mills (trinityau) who really got my attention. I pm Ray and then we talked by phone a few times. Ray is very dead set on the 5” coil and he likes the 10 inch elliptical coil of which I will add to my arsenal someday but I have plenty to learn with the 5 inch coil.

If you are buying a GBP you are getting the latest that technology offers. I was leaning on the Tesoro built here in Arizona but I felt that the technology behind their product was old. Also Dave Johnson (screen name -woof!) in these forums is the designer of the GBP and I was able to ask Dave a question about the coil cover.
    TerryC and DizzyDigger like this.

us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23641 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Woooo-Hooooo! Happy dancing for you in New York - Congratulations!!!!

PS - Dave also designed the Tesoro Lobo ST.

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Whites GMT, Makro Gold Kruzer, Falcon MD20, Fisher F-Pulse, Garrett Pro Pointer AT.
    328 times
    Prospecting
    Awesome nugget! I think there are more in your future.

us

Sep 2012
    2188 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Woooo-Hooooo! Happy dancing for you in New York - Congratulations!!!!

PS - Dave also designed the Tesoro Lobo ST.
    Terry,

I am aware that Dave J. designed the SuperTraq. I was just referring that the ST was released in 1989 and that technology has really changed over the years. I am sure the ST has received updates from its release date, but I grasp technology whenever I can. With the Gold Bug Pro using a single 9 volt battery is a plus over carrying 8 additional AA batteries. The lite weight of the GBP is a plus as well. Thanks again.

us

Sep 2012
    2188 times
    Prospecting
    63bkpkr, BravoWhiskey, DizzyDigger, Lanny in AB, Jim Hemmingway, Terry Solman, and NuggetShooter323, thank you for stopping by with your comments. Now that I got my first nugget let’s see if I can repeat. Metal Detecting is a lot like poker, you have to have some skill with both but you also have to have some luck. Luck was on my side when I step from my truck and walked in the direction I did. I almost walked an entirely different direction.
    Terry Soloman likes this.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4148 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    63bkpkr, BravoWhiskey, DizzyDigger, Lanny in AB, Jim Hemmingway, Terry Solman, and NuggetShooter323, thank you for stopping by with your comments. Now that I got my first nugget let’s see if I can repeat. Metal Detecting is a lot like poker, you have to have some skill with both but you also have to have some luck. Luck was on my side when I step from my truck and walked in the direction I did. I almost walked an entirely different direction.
    You mean you walked the opposite direction of the 1 ouncer?
    Just kidding, thats a sweet nugget you found.

GG~

us
    Gold Whispers

Feb 2010
    AZ
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Excellent find! Hope to find my first out there sometime soon.

us
    Jan 2010
    Redding, Ca
    Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
    798 times
    Prospecting
    AzVIPER, did the ferrous bars go two or below? Did the meter stay 40 to 100? Did the big number show an 8 to a 12? You did good, that is a nice nugget. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS
    Lanny in AB likes this.

us

Sep 2012
    2188 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by trinityau View Post
    AzVIPER, did the ferrous bars go two or below? Did the meter stay 40 to 100? Did the big number show an 8 to a 12? You did good, that is a nice nugget. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS
    Ray in the All Metal Mode the Ferrous meter registered 1 and in the Discrimination mode with the gain turned way up the big number above 50. As for the meter at the top I do not recall looking at it. Being a beginner hell I was digging everything. I uncovered a horseshoe nail, bird shot, wire, and lead bullets prior.
    Last edited by AzViper; Mar 13, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
    TerryC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links