Gold Bug Pro scores

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, Well here's the story..

I recently just got myself a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, both great machines!.

took both machines out for a good run this weekend..

The Gold Bug Pro with the 5" DD snagged IMG0771.jpg this little guy 3.1 grains, It was about 5" down suck in a bedrock crack.. Gold bug 2 for some reason missed it completely. I take both detectors with me every time i go out, and check every target with both machines.

Gold bug 2 did hit smaller targets (tiny lead shot etc) at less depth that the pro only gave a stutter on every second swing or so... I did spend quite a bit more time fondling the GB Pro than i did with the GB2. So that could have something to do with the lack of good targets recovered by the GB2, (inexperience on my part) not a particularly complex machine, though the ground balance made me want to chuck it in the creek a few times, twitchy ******* thing.. Maybe its just the Australian soil... lol..

Gold Bug Pro.. I don't have any negative feedback on it so far.. other than it could use a 6.5" elliptical coil.. the ground grab is awesome, and added manual ground balance is again awesome.
sensitivity is right on, even on that tiny stuff you need a gold pan to flush out..

Anyway, just thought i would share my experience with the new machines..

more to come! i hope :)

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great hunt report, and even better to hear how well the Gold Bug Pro
performed. I'll have one on the way soon, and every time I read how well
it does on those small bits of gold I get all the more anxious!

Have you had the GBP down on any of the local beaches yet?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cool Yella! I had a chance to test the new Goldbug 2 and was disappointed. I don't know what has changed, but the new Goldbug 2 (being made in China?) has lost depth over the original model in my opinion. The Goldbug Pro has been kicking its you-know-what.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New?.... When did they switch production locations. I have a friend with two of them and I would like to know if they are the old or new ones he bought them about a year and a half ago from a dealer.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ausgoldhunter... congratulations on the nugget and thanks for the update. :icon_thumleft:

Reports to date indicate that users are happy with the Goldbug Pro's performance in the field where it counts... in fact I don't recollect seeing a negative report yet. Another member here commented on the relative ease of maintaining ground balance with this unit compared to the Goldbug2... I suppose that only makes sense given the GB2's high operating frequency if run at a similar gain level to the Pro.

Do you mind my asking what mineralization mode (GB2) and approximate sensitivity settings were used for either unit? Do you recall the ground balance and Fe3O4 readouts (Pro) where the nugget was recovered? No big deal or anything... but if you do remember... it would be nice to know if possible. Good luck with your next outing...

Jim.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "old" Fisher was based in Los Banos, CA. They faced financial difficulties, were purchased, and production moved to El Paso, TX. Gold Bug 2s are now produced at the "new" Fisher in El Paso, TX. Fisher is owned by First Texas, who also owns the Teknetics and Bounty Hunter brand names.

Analog detectors display variances in performance based on the quality control systems in place at the time of manufacture. Digital units are generally less subject to these performance variances.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "old" Fisher was based in Los Banos, CA. They faced financial difficulties, were purchased, and production moved to El Paso, TX. Gold Bug 2s are now produced at the "new" Fisher in El Paso, TX. Fisher is owned by First Texas, who also owns the Teknetics and Bounty Hunter brand names.

Analog detectors display variances in performance based on the quality control systems in place at the time of manufacture. Digital units are generally less subject to these performance variances.

So are the Goldbug 2 machines still made in Texas Steve? I know Dave Johnson is on the forum - has anything changed with the newer GB2? It just did not seem to hit like my 2007 GB2

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I just said in last post, the Gold Bug 2 is produced in Texas. I just looked at a new one in the box, says El Paso, TX on the serial number tag. Where the parts come from, I do not know.

Nothing has changed specifically. My new Gold Bug 2 (I have two now) is as hot as anything I owned when they came out. I had the first one in Alaska. The problem with analog units is each component can vary within a certain tolerance, and that tolerance can be as loose (cheap) or tight (expensive) as the manufacturer is willing to pay for. In general the plus and minus vaiances average out, but sometimes you get a machine where all the variances cascade. Coils also vary. So you get a weak machine with a weak coil sometimes. This should get caught by quality control but does it always? Experiences like yours Terry would indicate not. Rumors of hot and cold Fisher CZ units abound, another old analog design. People swear by certain serial number ranges, the whole thing gets crazy.

Both my units are new in the last two years. I did not pick them special - I just pulled them off the shelf and took them home. They both work fine for me. That does not mean you did not get your hands on a bad unit. The problems with machine comparisons on the internet arise for a lot of different reason and comparing "hot" units to "cold" units can be one of the more obscure issues.

Oh well, whatever. I had an epiphany recently. I realized I am extremely happy with the detectors I have and what they do for me. That being the case I am not getting into any more "this versus that" discussions. I have a Gold Bug 2 and a Gold Bug Pro, like them both, they will each do a little something the other will not that makes me keep them both. That is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
"Internet rumors". I hate 'em. This "made in China" nonsense keeps getting reinvented somewhere, I suspect not by the customary Minelab shills but probably by dabblers who simply don't know anything and just make stuff up and then post it to make it look like they know something. Then other people get suckered by it, it starts making the rounds until people who really ought to know better (!) fall for it.

People even make up stuff that I've supposedly said. Earlier today I had to explain on another forum that no, I did NOT say that the F2 is based on the Gold Bug. I wish people could stick to making stuff up about themselves.

And that's my rant for today.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for the comments, Just to clear something up. I'm in no way displeased with the performance of the Gold Bug 2.. You should see the tiny piece of gold it caught, reads 0.0gr
*Yes pro catches it also* Just not the nice zip of the GB2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, GB 2 settings: Sensitivity between 7-8, mineralization set to high, also tested in normal... audio boost mode, since i was running without headphones. all metal always.
GB Pro settings: Sensitivity 88 with a little chatter, all metal, didn't take note on the F2304 readout i will next time though.

Short sharp ZipZip.... i love that sound lol.

Ausgoldhunter... congratulations on the nugget and thanks for the update. :icon_thumleft:

Reports to date indicate that users are happy with the Goldbug Pro's performance in the field where it counts... in fact I don't recollect seeing a negative report yet. Another member here commented on the relative ease of maintaining ground balance with this unit compared to the Goldbug2... I suppose that only makes sense given the GB2's high operating frequency if run at a similar gain level to the Pro.

Do you mind my asking what mineralization mode (GB2) and approximate sensitivity settings were used for either unit? Do you recall the ground balance and Fe3O4 readouts (Pro) where the nugget was recovered? No big deal or anything... but if you do remember... it would be nice to know if possible. Good luck with your next outing...

Jim.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed, before i ordered my GB machines, I got to test one out (one being the GB2) purchased in 2007. Mine is NEW out the box, and the only difference I've noticed is that his machine is all scratched and dirty :)

Like I just said in last post, the Gold Bug 2 is produced in Texas. I just looked at a new one in the box, says El Paso, TX on the serial number tag. Where the parts come from, I do not know.

Nothing has changed specifically. My new Gold Bug 2 (I have two now) is as hot as anything I owned when they came out. I had the first one in Alaska. The problem with analog units is each component can vary within a certain tolerance, and that tolerance can be as loose (cheap) or tight (expensive) as the manufacturer is willing to pay for. In general the plus and minus vaiances average out, but sometimes you get a machine where all the variances cascade. Coils also vary. So you get a weak machine with a weak coil sometimes. This should get caught by quality control but does it always? Experiences like yours Terry would indicate not. Rumors of hot and cold Fisher CZ units abound, another old analog design. People swear by certain serial number ranges, the whole thing gets crazy.

Both my units are new in the last two years. I did not pick them special - I just pulled them off the shelf and took them home. They both work fine for me. That does not mean you did not get your hands on a bad unit. The problems with machine comparisons on the internet arise for a lot of different reason and comparing "hot" units to "cold" units can be one of the more obscure issues.

Oh well, whatever. I had an epiphany recently. I realized I am extremely happy with the detectors I have and what they do for me. That being the case I am not getting into any more "this versus that" discussions. I have a Gold Bug 2 and a Gold Bug Pro, like them both, they will each do a little something the other will not that makes me keep them both. That is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read on several detector dealer sites that the GB 2 is produced in China, I'm glad I was wrong. I think anything of value made in China is junk. The only thing that I've bought recently has suprised me that is made in China is a wide band VHF/UHF handheld radio for $50.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya got to love the GBP. Congrats on the find. Found my 1.1 gram nugget the second day out with the GBP. Where you using headphones?

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya got to love the GBP. Congrats on the find. Found my 1.1 gram nugget the second day out with the GBP. Where you using headphones?

AzViper. I was using the Nugget Busters headphones.. they were about $100 but so worth it.. Another thing i got with my gold bug pro, was the 5"x10" coil, goes a little deeper on the big stuff.. I also picked up the NEL Sharp shooter.. it is a little more sensitive than the 10" by Fisher.... and cheap,.. only $126 + 25 shipping.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do, I'm loving this machine, and believe me i never buy anything without researching it for at least a few months lol... TrinityAU posts on the GB Pro helped me make up my mind...

One i have my eye on is the White's GMT. but with the GBPro and GB2.. I think i have it covered... plus my wife has given up on the hobby so her Eureka is my Eureka ;)

Thanks Ausgoldhunter for providing that information. I've been weighing the Pro against another model... decision-making on detectors has never been my strong point. The trouble is that I like 'em all for one reason or another...

I hope you'll continue to share any further impressions on the Pro as time moves along. Thanks again for getting back to me. :)

Jim.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read on several detector dealer sites that the GB 2 is produced in China, I'm glad I was wrong. I think anything of value made in China is junk. The only thing that I've bought recently has suprised me that is made in China is a wide band VHF/UHF handheld radio for $50.

I only knew of one dealer site with that ridiculosity, he said about 2 years ago he'd fix it but only took it down several days ago. This was a dealer whom I knew and had previously respected. Didn't know that other dealers were also posting such malarkey. After all, anyone who wants to know if the GB2 is made in China, all they have to do is call and ask. (The answer is no, it's made right here in El Paso and furthermore I'm the guy who designed it.)

There's a lot of good stuff made in China. Many of the electronic components that go into electronic equipment (yes, even US military stuff) are made in China. In my lifetime two of my girlfriends have been Chinese. I eat with chopsticks skilfully. No problem with China as such.

When it comes to metal detectors, China does 'em rather badly. Without much of a domestic market history, it's all new to them and they get into business by copying for export without bothering to learn anything about how the darn things work, much less how to design a good one from scratch.

I expect that in time, China will develop an indigenous metal detector industry just as we see developing in the former Soviet Bloc nations, designs home-brewed by engineers who understand both electronics and metal detecting. By that time I suppose China will be a first world nation and the USA will be a third world nation and the actual manufacturing will be done here.

Here in El Paso-Juarez, a traditional low cost manufacturing hub, we're caught in the middle between the rise of China and the fall of the USA. Some of the stuff that companies sent to China is starting to trickle back now that the Sinaloa Cartel has defeated the Juarez Cartel and druglord wars are winding down. (If you're wondering which cartel had the monopoly the whole time on the USA side of the border, avoiding the bloodshed, we're talking the same drug corridor here!, think for about 60 seconds which US government agency has never named the cartel that controls the traffic between El Paso and Chicago, and why it's impossible to get the federal government to legalize weed. If 60 seconds isn't enough to arrive at the correct conclusion, you haven't been paying attention.)

We do business globally, and China is one of the countries in which we both buy and sell. Two of our BH products designed here are manufactured in China by a manufacturer whom we trust, and we've never seen those products show up as clones. One of those products we also manufacture here since that gives us more flexibility to meet sudden changes in demand.

The GB2 is never going to be made in China. The reason is simple: no Chinese manufacturer would even be tempted. Too difficult.

--Dave J.

PS: on that dope thing, I have friends & family in and from northern Calif to Washington, a region of both cannabis production and of legalization. They've come to the conclusion that the problem the feds have with the stuff is not Reefer Madness, but that the domestic industry undercuts the DEA's drug business which is based on control of drug flow through ports of entry. Thus does the federal government suppress local industry and the tax base which legalization could make possible, in favor of its lucrative arrangement with foreign production and international criminals. The whole thing is so attractive to politicians that neither the Republiphant nor Democronkey hypocrites can muster the guts to say NO to it.

I live half an hour's walk from the Zaragoza port of entry where the DEA takes control over Mexican dope cartel shipments. Since the stuff don't disappear somewhere in Kansas, it's not going by car and truck, it's going by air. I-10 however provides a convenient truck corridor to the Dallas area, since for half the way I-10 is darn near the only road in town and it's easy to hire a follow vehicle to keep track of the truck. The follow vehicle doesn't even need to know why they've been hired to do the job, or who it was really who hired them to do it.

And that brings me to another subject, the other collaborators, the TSA. The stuff mostly goes by air because by air you can bypass the local cops who might accidently screw things up. That means TSA has to be in on the deal. Since El Paso is a major dope distribution hub with a minor airport, at El Paso International, dope has to run TSA policy. What I've figured out so far is that they're exceptionally good at theft of perfectly legitimate cash and computers, and absent from the picture of dope seizures.

Dope seizures in El Paso are either from freelancers, or for show. The ones for show are typically (allegedly) of big shipments in garage "safe house" trans-shipment points, but somehow these show busts never lead to trials, one suspects that the whole story was fabricated by the DEA and fed to the El Paso Times with instructions to print it if they know what's good for them. The only light at the end of the tunnel from Washington DC is the FBI, who can't touch the DEA and TSA but who can at least investigate our local politicians and weed out the ones so corrupt that they are vulnerable to attempts by the Mexican dope cartels to move the de facto border north of the Rio Grande. Thus does the FBI find something useful to do, it works for us in El Paso.

Gotta put in a good word here for Juarez-El Paso. We are one metropolis divided by an international political border. There for several years, Juarez was the most violent city in the western hemisphere and El Paso was very nearly the safest city in the USA. What a difference a fence makes! The fence that counted wasn't the physical one: after all every day tens of thousands of people cross the border both ways. The fence that mattered was the political one. On this side of the Rio Grande, the message to Mexico is that the cartel is the US Government and remember this fact always. Drug wars in Chicago are old news everyone's used to, but drug wars in El Paso would look like the USA lost control of its borders, it would be a political disaster and bring in the US Army. And by the way, the Mexican federal government doesn't want a thing like that to happen, they remember who Pershing and Scott were even if you don't. ........The thing seems to have come to its logical conclusion: thanks to the recent change in Mexican government, Mexico is back in the business of assigning druglord territories, not fighting dope as such, and that makes it possible for Mexico and the USA to fight the drug trade again as partners by making as much money off the damn thing as possible. The bad news is the cost of prisons, but politicians love prisons! The good news is that in another couple years Juarez may be stabilized enough that I can walk the bridge across the sandwash again without having to fear for my life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
China already make clones of the gold bug 2.. and they work.. not well but they work.. and sadly people are duped daily by these crap-tastic knock-offs.
And while they are awesome machines, the technology inside is well aged... My opinion, NEW 71 kHz digital machine.. more coil options... DO IT Fisher!

The GB2 is never going to be made in China. The reason is simple: no Chinese manufacturer would even be tempted. Too difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread