gmt as my first detector

pg81

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ewryone:hello:

Is it complicated to learn how to use the whites gmt for for a beginner that never have touched a detector before?

i also wonder how god the v3i is for beginners to learn how to use it, and its abilitys to find smaler gold flakes/nuggets.

Where i live we have much dry river beds that looks intresting,and not far away theres a gold mine,but "my" area have never been searched before,so im wery forward to get started :headbang:

sorry for my bad inglish :wave:

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pg81,
Both machines have settings for beginners, turn the machine on and start detecting.

The GMT is for Gold prospecting as it does not have any discrimination. What this means is that it finds all metals, any metal makes it go zip zip but by reading the numbers on the screen, watching the graph and by paying attention to what sort of sound the machine makes a person can find raw gold with the GMT.

The V3i is more for coin hunting, large buried items (treasure?) and jewelry but it is not meant for Prospecting for gold in highly mineralized ground.

I own a GMT and have used it to find gold so I know it works. To improve a persons chances to find gold a person MUST really learn how to use the GMT. By that I mean a person must learn what changes adjustments to the standard (beginner) starting points as well as learn what the meter values could be telling the user.

The V3i has a huge number of adjustments that can be made and it takes a good deal of time to learn that machine. People have posted their programs here on Tnet as well as on the White's forum. Some of these programs could make a big difference as to what a person finds.

Best of luck in your search and I hope this helps.....................63bkpkr

pg81 - I just reread your post/question. I think you should start off by purchasing a plastic gold pan so you can sample the area around you to see if any gold exists there before spending $800 or more on a detector. A gold pan will tell you if there is any gold there once you learn how to use it and there are plenty of youtube videos about how to pan. It is much easier to learn how to pan than to learn ANY metal detector.

Last edited:

Farwalker

Aug 18, 2011
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum/6000-DI Pro-sl/Gold-Stinger/CZ7a/
ML750/Tm808/XLT-E/GTX2500/GB/GB2/Ml-Sov./
CZ3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF forgot to ask you perhaps the most important Question? What did you buy your detector for? What do you want it to do for you? The Gmt will Gold Prospect as well as hunt coin/jewelry/relics (Not @ the beach)
Where are you located Sir?:hello: Welcome: Believe me we have all been in the same position @ some time or other. You might consider scrolling down further this page until you come to a thread stating": Gold Frequency" click on it, then go down that thread to Jan 7 2013, Steve Herschbach. Browse thru his entries & you will learn more about Prospecting with a metal detector & about the Gold detectors .All in one place from a man who has discovered POUNDS of Gold with a Metal Detector. He is one of the most respected guys in the business. By the way the GMT is a great machine, it will take time but well worth it.(Steve has a section on it in his comments.) GOOD LUCK......Farwalker in Or.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the nice comments! Going to be out nugget hunting soon.

If you just want a nugget detector the GMT is a great choice and easy to learn. The V3i is not really a nugget detector and I would not buy one for that purpose. It is more like if you have one anyway, well sure, you can find gold with it also. But feature overkill if nugget detecting is the idea and a lot more money for what the GMT will do easier, better, and for less.

If you want a multi-purpose detector, that is a whole different ballgame. Click on the nugget guide link below.

OP
OP
P

pg81

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
Thanks for the answers guys:icon_thumleft: the main dry riverbed area we are going to prospect is wery large,so the idea was to use a detector first to find intresting sand/soil to pan.
we have already buyed a plastic pan and a device that wash soil/sand (dont remeber the inglish word for it now)
I think we will go for the gmt because we will use it mainly for prospect for gold,in the old times there was viking settlements around here (i live in norway) and i ques the v3i would be bether for look for old coins and buttons.but i ques the gmt will also find this,but not as god as the v3i .
i will give uppdates here on the forum about how we are doing:icon_thumleft:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions