Jokes on me, or no :)

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, Just wanted to share a rather mean prank my wife played on me yesterday while out detecting a dry creekbed... Its about a 2 hour hike to reach the spot so i had high hopes..
Below is a picture of the 1.090 Oz "COPPER NUGGET DIPPED IN GOLD" my JERK wife got off ebay, for $5... then went "detecting" up the creek, buried it..

I come by about 40 minutes later.. BOOM huge signal, dig down about 6" I can see it just laying in the hole, little dirty, wash it off.. think to myself "hmm that is one weird looking nugget" must be the one Sarah bought off ebay.
See the problem she had, was using my laptop to make the purchase, using my ebay account.

Anyway below is the offending object... I'll take a blowtorch to it later and melt that "crap" off the copper... i'm pretty damn sure it isn't even gold..

1oz.jpg

No nugget luck at the little creek, did okay panning though..

IMG_0100.JPG

-AGH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh and i didn't tell her i found it either.. If your idea is plant it next time we go out.. your idea is awesome.. and is now my idea :)

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not that cruel, lol. I'm going to take my niece out, so I'll plant some items

Plant in circles

big ones haha

lol, hey i'm all for planting a nice picker/nugget for the kids to find. my daughter isn't interested, maybe i should bury her laptop..

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ausgoldhunter… interesting post and a refreshing change from the usual discussions about which detector is best for this and that…

I think your wife has a great sense of humor. And it’s equally terrific that she takes such an interest in your prospecting. I think that many would trade places with you and consider themselves fortunate… most of the guys I come across prospecting are alone… some prefer it that way… but I’ve often suspected that many would like to have some company at least sometimes.

My wife has accompanied me on nearly every prospecting trip I’ve made over nearly 30 years. Or if not, then she joins me later on in the trip. In all those years she’s been a constant companion and always cheerful in all weathers… never a single complaint about anything… except when I don’t take a much needed shower.

In recent years these trips last two months and rarely less… only less if winter weather comes earlier than normal. She has learned a lot about electronic prospecting, understands the finer points of metal detecting with all my units, and is usually a determined hunter. I used to think she did it to humor me, but now I think otherwise. She has a beautiful silver collection many would envy.

Over those years I’ve been in the habit of discarding silver ores that were something less than very good specimen grade quality. In the early years a lot of good ores were discarded into the brush around camp. This past autumn she elected to stay in camp one day rather than head out to the bush. I thought that highly unusual but figured she had her reasons… probably just wanted to relax after her long trip north. When I returned that night we had a look at my measly silver ore finds for the day. Then she brought out her ore bag half-filled with some very good silver in it compared to mine. She had a good laugh at my expense… she had spent the afternoon searching in the brush around camp digging up a lot of my better quality discards. She’s a pretty hardy woman of good strong character, and as implied… adverse weather doesn’t bother her one bit as can be seen from the photos below…

FETCHIN' WATER.JPG

I remember this night like it was last week. The wife was rather insistent that I take a shower... of course at that time of year our outdoor shower is a mite chilly… but there was no help for it. Actually it wasn’t too bad once you get the shower water heated and build up the fire. But then I guess the point is too that she has no hesitation to take a shower under the same conditions.

JOANNE AT FIRESIDE.JPG

So we’re lucky that our wives do take an interest and employ a good sense of humor… it has made for 41 years of successful marriage here… and countless memorable camping and prospecting adventures together. And that is really living in my books.

In fact we’ve got a two week gold / mineral hunting trip planned this autumn to gold country over in Quebec prior to heading north to Ontario’s silverfields. One result is that I’ve been playing with a GoldBug Pro for the past two weeks… prompted by many of your and others posts about this unit. Incidentally I like the constant GB monitoring feature… especially how it drops off over iron.

Jim.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ausgoldhunter… interesting post and a refreshing change from the usual discussions about which detector is best for this and that…

I think your wife has a great sense of humor. And it’s equally terrific that she takes such an interest in your prospecting. I think that many would trade places with you and consider themselves fortunate… most of the guys I come across prospecting are alone… some prefer it that way… but I’ve often suspected that many would like to have some company at least sometimes.

My wife has accompanied me on nearly every prospecting trip I’ve made over nearly 30 years. Or if not, then she joins me later on in the trip. In all those years she’s been a constant companion and always cheerful in all weathers… never a single complaint about anything… except when I don’t take a much needed shower.

In recent years these trips last two months and rarely less… only less if winter weather comes earlier than normal. She has learned a lot about electronic prospecting, understands the finer points of metal detecting with all my units, and is usually a determined hunter. I used to think she did it to humor me, but now I think otherwise. She has a beautiful silver collection many would envy.

Over those years I’ve been in the habit of discarding silver ores that were something less than very good specimen grade quality. In the early years a lot of good ores were discarded into the brush around camp. This past autumn she elected to stay in camp one day rather than head out to the bush. I thought that highly unusual but figured she had her reasons… probably just wanted to relax after her long trip north. When I returned that night we had a look at my measly silver ore finds for the day. Then she brought out her ore bag half-filled with some very good silver in it compared to mine. She had a good laugh at my expense… she had spent the afternoon searching in the brush around camp digging up a lot of my better quality discards. She’s a pretty hardy woman of good strong character, and as implied… adverse weather doesn’t bother her one bit as can be seen from the photos below…

I remember this night like it was last week. The wife was rather insistent that I take a shower... of course at that time of year our outdoor shower is a mite chilly… but there was no help for it. Actually it wasn’t too bad once you get the shower water heated and build up the fire. But then I guess the point is too that she has no hesitation to take a shower under the same conditions.

So we’re lucky that our wives do take an interest and employ a good sense of humor… it has made for 41 years of successful marriage here… and countless memorable camping and prospecting adventures together. And that is really living in my books.

In fact we’ve got a two week gold / mineral hunting trip planned this autumn to gold country over in Quebec prior to heading north to Ontario’s silverfields. One result is that I’ve been playing with a GoldBug Pro for the past two weeks… prompted by many of your and others posts about this unit. Incidentally I like the constant GB monitoring feature… especially how it drops off over iron.

Jim.

Jim, mate that is awesome!

I love having her out with me, she shares my love of the outdoors and prospecting.. It was actually Sarah that got me back into prospecting over 10 years ago now when we first got married..
Rather than going to Bali as planned.. we took a trip to Western Australia nugget shooting, pair of noobs with a Minelab SD 2100 and SD 2000. came back with a couple of Oz, had a great time..

The golds getting harder to find, just makes it all the more exciting when you do find it..

I feel pretty lucky, though i must say, i find more gold when i'm solo haha...

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
She's going to learn more from her laptop than she will in her whole 12 years of school.

If you hide it, just make sure she finds it.

She's 12, and already keeps up with me (systems admin) so i'd say you're somewhat correct..

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel pretty lucky, though i must say, i find more gold when i'm solo haha...

Good point Ausgoldhunter. I always do better... usually much better when searching alone. That doesn't just mean the wife either... I find having anyone within shouting distance a very real distraction. I'm always thinking I should go over and yak to them or see how they're doing, maybe take a photo or two, or start to wonder if they'd like some coffee. Never have had a really productive silver hunting excursion in company with anyone. But as the years move along... I've pretty much concluded to focus my energies less on the prospecting finds, and more on enjoying time with family and friends in the great outdoors while I'm still able to do so.

Anyways... enough chatter from here... good luck with everything and again... thanks for all of your excellent informative posts. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very fortunate gentlemen to have wives who Enjoy being 'out there' with you, but then you already know that! At one point I had a significant other, a true city born woman with no experience in the out doors, who trusted me enough to come with me into the California wild country. After the first trip she started planning them so we got out there way more often than I was doing on my own. I never minded carrying in my share of the food either: bottle of wine, squab, etc. I've Never Ever eaten that well on any backpacking trip by myself. My hat is off to those dear Female souls who enjoy being out there with their man....................63bkpkr

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've Never Ever eaten that well on any backpacking trip by myself. My hat is off to those dear Female souls who enjoy being out there with their man....................63bkpkr

Yessiree Herb... my wife doesn't intend to exist exclusively on pork and beans for weeks at a time... although I admit I don't mind in the least... and feel great while managing to lose some unwanted weight. So when she comes... lookout for the turkey dinner I always miss at Thanksgiving... because she brings plenty of turkey, potatoes, gravy, dumplings and dressing in addition to a lot of other good quality food that I would otherwise never see. I flatly refuse to go do serious shopping as long as the cupboard has some oatmeal, coffee / tea and fixings, bread and butter, and pork and beans. And of course she helps around the camp in any way she can.

So yah... a good responsible actively prospecting wife / partner is just fine... for awhile anyway... and then its also a nice change to be free of close personal contact within the limited space of a camper. Plus its so refreshing to be a worry-free slob. :)

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread