nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,
At the recommendation of many on this forum I bought the 5"x10" elliptical searchcoil for the GB Pro yesterday. After a quick fastening it was ready to go and I was on my bike to a location that was good testing grounds. I had detected this area many times before with the 5" round coil to no avail and was hoping the new elliptical coil would change that. The site was along the edge of a seasonal creek and had been subject to extensive ground sluicing by the old miners. Tailings, oriented perpendicular to the creek, were quite shallow and arranged in long narrow lines. Beneath was a thick yellow-white clay which was ubiquitous throughout the area. Manzanita growth was dense, but after a short crawl I came upon a clearing and began...
Except for old rusty nails, which occurred in piles at the ends of the tailings lines, there was very little trash and after about two hours I'd only dug four signals. Since the tip of the elliptical coil tapers to a point, I was able to get between the manzanita more easily than I could with the round coil. Amidst a tight cluster of trunks I hit a good target that set the arc number in the low 40's, the big number below 8, and the ferrous bars to 0. About an inch into the yellow-white clay was the largest piece of gold I've ever found. I had previously missed it simply because I was not able to fit the 5" round coil into such a tight spot.
Since this was my first day with the elliptical coil it's far too early to make any lasting assessments, but I did notice a few differences from the round coil. Other than the obvious weight gain from a larger coil and longer cord, the first was that this coil is more sensitive to being bumped. It quickly became evident that I would have to set the gain lower and keep the coil higher off the ground to avoid false signals from bumps. Another difference was that the ground balance numbers were consistently lower than than those of the round. Furthermore, some of the trash readings on the display were slightly off which led me to dig objects I would have otherwise skipped. With this new coil it's much like learning the detector all over again, but a nice piece of gold is a fine way to start.

Below: the area, the yellow-white clay, the elliptical coil with gold, the gold

PIC_0223.JPG PIC_0216.JPG PIC_0208.JPG PIC_0282.JPG

Upvote 0

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what I'm talking about. Way to go Nuggeteer. I have the 5"x10" on my Gold Bug now and don't see that i will be putting the 5" round coil back on any time soon. Keep up the good work.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty piece of gold! good on you!
Shep

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done, very nice nugget..

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's what I'm talking about. Way to go Nuggeteer. I have the 5"x10" on my Gold Bug now and don't see that i will be putting the 5" round coil back on any time soon. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Rebel73153,
Some of your posts led me to consider the elliptical.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another inspirational find! Well done!

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! Great find!!!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like happy days! I bet your heart was beating like a drum! Did ya have to catch your breath?.... Nice Nuggie.

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like happy days! I bet your heart was beating like a drum! Did ya have to catch your breath?.... Nice Nuggie.

It's happy days every day I get out and my heart beats like a drum even at the little pieces.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome, well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread