nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
pannerman,
A very localized 100 square foot ground shot will stop most people from finding your location, but it might not stop the determined. There are ways to apply a knowledge of landscape, landmarks, vegetation, mining history and geology to extract locations from photographs; and that's not to mention the more technical methods using satellite imagery and embedded signatures. Although I wouldn't cheat a fellow prospector, I can tell you that if you detected around Redding and posted a picture of your gold producing area I could probably find it. I post pictures because generous people on forums have helped me greatly in the past. If someone is willing to read the literature, learn their detector, and crawl through the thickets to get to one of my areas, then they've earned the crumb I might've left behind.

Below: old sluice tailings deep in the manzanita

manzanita deep.JPG

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're safe to post pics as long as you strip the GPS exif data from the pictures.

On an iPhone you can disable the GPS exif data by:

Settings > General > Location Services > Switch Camera to Off

Future pictures will now have no GPS exif data.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to above post as dozens and dozens lost great spots -and posted pics of bombcraters all over their "new" hidey hole from imbedded GPS info utilized to find/rape their honeyholes-John

jasone

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pannerman i can try to help u by photo dowsing,but make sure you strip the GPS exif data from the pictures as desertnuggets told u so as to peotect your place and keep it secret from others.i live in europe u cant worry about me,but always protect your spots. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions