girlinaz

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2013
Phoenix, az
Detector(s) used
Shopping
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, i am new to the forums and made an introductory thread. I have read a lot of information on these forums, so forgive me if i am repeating something that has already been asked.

I am currently looking for a cheaper end metal detector that can help with finding some gold. I am on a budget, though i wish i could afford the higher end ones. I am looking for something that i can pick up gold on, even match head sized pieces, and can possibly use for meteorite/coin hunting. I have seen so many brands out there, and it is overwhelming to someone who has never had MD experience nor knows anyone who does it. I guess what i am looking for or as close to is:

Detects gold around the lynx creek or desert type environments.
Can also detect coins and meteorites.
Waterproof would be helpful but not required.
Lightweight, i have djd in my spine so a heavier detector couldnt be used.
Under the 300 dollar range.

I might be asking for a lot, but even some info on specific detectors that could match what im looking for would be extremely helpful!

Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to look into an ACE 250. Although, the unit itself isn't waterproof, I believe the coil is. Other than that I would say try to pick up a used ATPro, which I think will give you everything you're looking for... it just might be tough finding one for $300. I have seen them as low as $400 used.

OP
OP
G

girlinaz

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2013
Phoenix, az
Detector(s) used
Shopping
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you! I will start looking at those two. I dont mind if its not waterproof, im just really cautious say if i get too near the creek and it dips in sort of thing haha.

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI - the also have an ACE 350 out as well. That one is $299 (last I checked) but it's worth the extra money - comes with a better coil and allows better discrimination. I owned one and it's a great beginner machine. It never failed to rake in the coins for me!

OP
OP
G

girlinaz

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2013
Phoenix, az
Detector(s) used
Shopping
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have run across quite a few ace 350 in my searches as well, ill add that to my list.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd looked for a used model of one of these:

Fisher Gold Bug 2
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Minelab X-Terra 305 (w/HF coil)
Minelab X-Terra 505 (w/HF coil)
Minelab X-Terra 705 (w/HF coil)

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your looking for gold, the only Garrett's that will find gold, in the general vicinity of your budget are a used ATgold, or a used Gold Stinger. Don't waste your money on any ACE or ATPro if your looking for gold nuggets. You can find used Tesoro's, Fisher's and Whites all the time on Ebay. In my opinion, someone like you that wants to hunt for gold nuggets, should look at the Whites GMZ. They're simple and inexpensive, and the used ones won't be beat to death since it's a newer machine. If you want to be able to hunt coins and jewelry, get whatever gold nugget detector that you can afford that has a discriminator on it. A discriminator is a control that allows you to tune out metals that you don't want to detect like iron, pull tabs, etc. Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, ATGold, to name a few. But always, if you want to hunt gold nuggets, get a machine for gold nuggets.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Older Goldmaster series of whites.
GM2, 3 maybe a 4, but also the V/Sat.
These do not have a Iron Discrimination, but they do have a iron switch that when pressed, tells whether it is iron or not.
These can be got for $300 and under from ebay.
Just bought mine last month for that price, with free shipping in mint condition, with the original box.
Shows no use at all.
Where we go in Az we need a great manual ground balance or the detector wont be any use to you.
Right now for the greound around the Queen Valley, Superior, Globe area my course GB knob is set at 7-8, my scale only goes to 10 and is maxed out. So you can see how much iron is in my ground around here.
Make sure you get one with a manual ground balance, or you will be dissatisfied in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread