Video - ATX 8" Mono Coil Tested on Small Gold Nugget

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way cool... and thanks Al for an interesting comparison over that hot iron-mineralized vein. That stock 12" DD is sensitive... a nice improvement over Infinium. It will be equally interesting to see how it fares in the overall depth department over say... a Jefferson nickel as a good standard target to bury at 10 inches or deeper.

I doubt anyone anticipates or expects GPX depth performance on a nickel, but any improvement over Infinium... in view of the ATX's enhanced small nugget sensitivity... would be a good selling point.

Enjoy these informative videos Al, you do a great narrative... thanks again!! :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb... what does the acronym "IBID" mean? Could it be "I Believe I'd Do"?? Please let me know. On seeing this I had to laugh... BTW, I hope there's a prize or reward for guessing correctly. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Yea; thanks guys, my very next test is the buried target test with large and small gold including a jefferson nickle and maybe a very large lead sinker. The biggest gold nugget I have are several 1/4 oz'ers. I will use both coils....now just need the rain to stop!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea; thanks guys, my very next test is the buried target test with large and small gold including a jefferson nickle and maybe a very large lead sinker. The biggest gold nugget I have are several 1/4 oz'ers. I will use both coils....now just need the rain to stop!

I've read some of the recent Finds forum posts Al, and I would ignore any detractors and / or bickering that has occurred there. I would hope that the views of anyone with no firsthand experience with this unit's capabilities, and those who do not understand that PI ground balance settings do affect detection depth and target signal response to various target conductivities, shapes, sizes, purity, and character... should not be taken too seriously.

As such I recommend that in addition to any other test targets, that you use a Jefferson nickel as a standard. A Jefferson nickel is a Jefferson nickel in any soil at any location, and eliminates any potential dispute about target size and shape, conductivity, character and so forth with respect to detection depth results.

Jim.

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hi Jim, I did some of the buried test today - got to do a little more tmro before I edit the video all together. But I will tell you that I got the jefferson nickle at 15" buried and covered. I started at 12" and got it easily then went to 15". Prob could have gone a bit further but I had to do other targets as well before the rain came back. I also buried a 2.1 gram gold nugget and got it barely at 10", good at 8-9". And also a 1.5 gram round slug gold nugget at a good signal of 8". Testing a 1/4 nugget tmro as well as a 3 oz and 5 oz lead sinkers...If the rain holds. Stay tuned...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Jim, I did some of the buried test today - got to do a little more tmro before I edit the video all together. But I will tell you that I got the jefferson nickle at 15" buried and covered. I started at 12" and got it easily then went to 15". Prob could have gone a bit further but I had to do other targets as well before the rain came back. I also buried a 2.1 gram gold nugget and got it barely at 10", good at 8-9". And also a 1.5 gram round slug gold nugget at a good signal of 8". Testing a 1/4 nugget tmro as well as a 3 oz and 5 oz lead sinkers...If the rain holds. Stay tuned...

The Jefferson nickel is an excellent standard to use as a test target, so thanks Al for including it into your tests. I like that you’ve buried test targets at known depths, it leaves no room for dispute whether a unit could detect it at that depth. Since these are freshly buried targets, the soil has been disturbed with whatever impact digging has to its magnetic fraction and electrical continuity. The effect of disturbed ground reducing detection depth is widely recognized in the industry. Hence, we can anticipate improved detection depths on similar targets that have naturally settled into / or naturally occur in undisturbed ground.

Your nickel results surpass Infinium’s depth capability in my ground by several inches, so this is a positive indication. A good signal on the 1.5 gram round gold slug at eight inches, all things being equal, is an improvement over Infinium here. A similar shape pennyweight nugget at seven inches in my testplot produces a weak but consistent Infinium signal with either the 8” round or 14” elliptical monos. Everything considered from what results are available, it appears that the improved sensitivity to small stuff has not adversely affected ATX’s depth detection capability compared to Infinium… indeed there appears to be an improvement.

Just a reminder about the 3” nail test at zero and maximum discrimination if you’ve got the time and inclination. It is probably not all that terribly important for goldhunters searching in the wilds. But here where mine tailings and surrounding environs are littered with elongated and other deep large iron… the low-hi signals in both zero and max discrimination are a key Infinium feature that eliminates having to dig most such items (in a prospecting context). It would be good to know whether the ATX retains that valuable capability… many thanks for posting these videos for everyone to see. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, IBID is the only Latin (abbreviation) I know or that I am aware of knowing! It refers one back to the book, page, etc. cited just before so I Believe I'd Do is not quite the same and the reward would be a big smile and hearty hand shake when we meet!...................63bkpkr/Herb

BearKat don't mind us and your results/testing are great news!!

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Jim, the low high tones seems the same as the Infinium. Still have not done much with the discrimination test yet except for one test which was on iron pellets +8 mesh size. I set disc on max and blocked out much of the iron but not all the way, and I threw the nickle on it and it detected it. Without the disc being used, I could not tell there was a nickle there as the iron pellets (about 35 lbs of them from dredging) just sounded like a large target. So the max disc caused the nickle to stand out a bit more. Lots of video editing to do as I'm way behind and have a ton of footage including initial ATX vs GPX 5000 footage! Cool results on that one!

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, the low high tones seems the same as the Infinium. Still have not done much with the discrimination test yet except for one test which was on iron pellets +8 mesh size. I set disc on max and blocked out much of the iron but not all the way, and I threw the nickle on it and it detected it. Without the disc being used, I could not tell there was a nickle there as the iron pellets (about 35 lbs of them from dredging) just sounded like a large target. So the max disc caused the nickle to stand out a bit more. Lots of video editing to do as I'm way behind and have a ton of footage including initial ATX vs GPX 5000 footage! Cool results on that one!

Thanks Al... I appreciate that you are going to these lengths to provide everyone with the best information that you can. :icon_thumleft:

Although a GPX comparison will interest many viewers, I'm more interested in learning strictly what the ATX can do on its own merit in regard to sensitivity to tiny stuff, depth on a Jefferson nickel (you've addressed both of these points already) and elongated iron ID.

I never entertained any expectations that it would compete with the depth performance of a GPX, but rather that it would at least surpass Infinium's depth capability. To that end the results in your ground look encouraging when compared to my results here. I hope you ensured both units were set-up to maximize their depth / sens capability over that ground, to eliminate any possible criticism of how the comparison was done.

Looking forward to your next video release... many thanks!!!!

Jim.

OP
OP
Bearkat

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I hit my first hot rock yesterday while out hunting. I did iron check ID on it and was a successful iron grunt (almost pure iron rock). Got it on video too...coming soon to Youtube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread