Whites TDI SL or Gerrett ATX

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi I am new to this forum and happy to be here. I currently have a Whites GMT with standard coil and 4"x6" shooter coil and am looking to add a PI detector. I've narrowed it down to the Gerrett ATX or Whites TDI SL. This detector will be used for nugget hunting, hunting at Lake Tahoe, and the beach northern cal.
Is the ATX better than the TDI SL on small gold, overall depth, and dealing with bad ground, if so how much? The TDI SL is aprox. $ 820.00 less than the ATX is the ATX worth the extra money? $2120.00 ATX or $1300.00 TDI SL. Also dose any one know the battery life of the ATX?
All information and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, this is not an answer to your question only my thoughts. It seems the ATX does well on the small gold and might have an edge over the TDI as I believe "Steve" owns both 'now'. Some of this depends on the ground. From Bearkats videos it seems to handle bad ground well, the ATX that is. The GMT does a great job on finding gold but I am also interested in a PI machine though I'm not certain that it exists yet and I am hoping that the ATX will force other manufacturers to put out something better to compete with/beat the ATX.

I'm looking forward to seeing other reply's here so thanks for the question.................63bkpkr

note: Steve Herschbach has some interesting comments on the ATX on another site. Welcome to Tnet

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Well I sold my TDI and kept using my Infinium as I thought it was easier to use. I do know that you cannot run the TDI on full power as it will make horrid noises, so your not able to use all its power...on the other hand you can run the ATX wide open and still remains nice an smooth out in the field. My vote is for the ATX...

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks 63bkpkr for your reply. I have read Steve's comments on the ATX and it sound pretty good except for the weight
5.5 lbs vs 3.5 for the TDI I think.
And Bearcat thank you as well. I have been watching your videos and the last one is the most impressive yet with the buried nuggets GPX5000 vs ATX.
Bearcat do you know the battery life on the ATX?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weight ATX 6.9 lbs
TDI 5.3 lbs
TDI SL 3.5 lbs with 12" coil, 3.0 lbs with 7.5" coil

The standard TDI is fairly close to the ATX in performance. The TDI SL falls short. Which is a shame since it feels so good on my arm! But the standard TDI comes ready to hip mount so no problem there. My TDI runs just fine maxed out but I do agree the audio is far superior on the ATX.

My opinion is fairly simplistic. If being waterproof was not important I would be just fine with my TDI. If waterproof is important the ATX is a no-brainer. I really like my ATX but for now I am holding on to my TDI also. They are both good detectors and what I can find with one I can pretty much find with the other.

ATX battery life is 10-12 hours. ATX and TDI SL run standard AAs or AA rechargeable. Issue with regular a TDI is Lithium batteries that can present a potential air travel problem.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I can do 2, 5 hour hunts with my ATX...but I don't like to push it...I'll just recharge it before I go out, but forgot one time and still got through the hunt.

If you do decide on the TDI...get the standard, not SL...the SL is a disappointment.

Bearkat

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I sold my TDI and kept using my Infinium as I thought it was easier to use. I do know that you cannot run the TDI on full power as it will make horrid noises, so your not able to use all its power...on the other hand you can run the ATX wide open and still remains nice an smooth out in the field. My vote is for the ATX...
Are you referring to the TDI or TDI SL? Very different machines in that the SL is easier to GB and produces and constant smooth threshold even in nasty mineralized ground on the same level as the GPX series( I've seen it personally)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. Well the price difference is only $ 320.00 between the TDI pro and the ATX ( much closer!) and the underwater capability of the ATX would be nice. Between these to detectors I think I'm leaning toward the ATX.
I was hoping the SL would be better, the price and weight are very attractive. Even if it was close to the TDI pro in performance it would still be in the running.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My TDI SL is a fine machine and has found me plenty of gold. Some of its unique benefits that I have experienced;

*The lightest weight of any PI plus the ability to separate the control box from the shaft(when you have a "pissed off" rotator cuff like me, this is a huge benefit)

*Uses the same battery system(disposable and rechargeable) as the GMT

*Easy to GB plus the ability to turn the GB off (which can further increase depth and target signal)

*Plenty of coil options. When using the smaller elliptical PI coils, I'm able to increase the gain and decrease the GB setting which further increases sensitivity to small gold while maintaining smooth threshold.

Its nice to have another mid-range PI option and the ATX seems like a good machine. Is it superior enough to deliver a "knock-out blow" to the Whites TDI series? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping the SL would be better, the price and weight are very attractive. Even if it was close to the TDI pro in performance it would still be in the running.

As Hard Prospector notes the TDI SL is a fine detector. The problem with all this comparison stuff is in general it is splitting hairs. I make a point of posting finds with different detectors because I can find gold with all of them. Getting into good locations and working hard makes all the difference in the world. I think I could use a $499 Gold Bug and find more gold than most people simply because I get out and work at it. I am not trying to puff myself up, just trying to remind everyone that detectors in closets only find dust.

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the help guys. Okay one more question it sounds like the TDI pro has the ability target low conductive or high conductive targets depending on how you tune it(for some coins). Dose the ATX have that ability.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The short answer is yes.

All the ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) detectors produce two different tone schemes related to the current ground balance point. Items below the ground balance point tend to be low conductors and targets above tend to be high conductors. So the Garrett Infinium, TDI models, and Minelabs all can use tones to separate targets into at least two classes.

The TDI allows you to manually adjust the ground balance point and so artificially choose where the tone point breaks. The Infinium and ATX pulse delay setting (Garrett calls it a discrimination control) apparently moves the ground balance setting simultaneous to advancing the pulse delay, also moving the tone break location, but the method is indirect and less useful than that offered on the TDI. The TDI can be set to completely ignore ferrous targets while still detecting high conductive non-ferrous targets. But depth is sacrificed also to where you may as well be using a VLF. Still, it is an interesting effect.

Steve's Guide to White's TDI Coin Settings and Target Responses

Coin Detecting with the Garrett Infinium Metal Detector

Gold Nugget and Old Coins with a Minelab GP 3500

Gold and Silver with the New Garrett ATX Metal Detector

I still have the TDI along with the ATX but in general I prefer the ATX for coin applications due to the superior modulation of the audio response. But the TDI is interesting also so I really can't use this single issue alone as a deciding point between the two detectors. You have to look at the overall features you desire as to what may work best for you.

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Steve. Just finished reading ( Gold and Silver with the new Gerrett ATX Metal Detector) and (Steve's Guide to Whites TDI coin settings and target responses) they both sound like great detectors! It sounds like the TDI is a little harder to learn. Thanks much!

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I would say the ATX is easier in several ways, with most functions being done automatically for you. The TDI is pure manual tuning.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I would say the ATX is easier in several ways, with most functions being done automatically for you. The TDI is pure manual tuning.
I would say that totally sums it up. If I didn't already have two TDI's, with 5 different search coils and 7 battery packs for the machine I would lean ATX. Oh, and the shoulder of an 18 year old.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
""Yeah, I would say the ATX is easier in several ways, with most functions being done automatically for you. The TDI is pure manual tuning.""

Thats a very good short conclusion of the two...

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I bought the Gerrett ATX! I think I'm really going to like it. Unfortunately there is snow on the ground here in The Reno area so I'll be waiting to try it out. Going to the beach in about a week so will get it out and do some hunting over there.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was out swing'n the desert recently and the PI hit on a nice 3 pwt piece at about 8". Called my buddy over with his GMT and he pulled a nice crumb out of the same hole, now that's team work.

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rob... which coil was used and what were the GB / tone control settings... if you still recall. Thanks... Jim.

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard Prospector a good PI and VLF machine great combo! My ATX is going to be good but I am definitely hanging on to my GMT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread