• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find. Never seen one around here.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice bit of treasure!

OP
OP
G

Greg in NV.

Greenie
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Gerrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I am very excited with the find! For the first two hours I was digging all targets in a grid pattern and getting a lot of beach trash, bottle caps, hairpins, some rusty nails ext.. And a few coins (nothing old). So I decided to try your trick Steve and dig only low high tones for the last 45 min. The first five targets were high low tone so passed them up. First and second low high tones were penny's 1972 and 1976 cool no trash yet! Passed over some more high lows and got my third low high this time louder. My first though was iron trash but I had decided to dig all low high signals.boy am I glad I did! It was 12" deep and you can imagine my excitement when that coin appeared in my sand scoop! If I had continued to dig all targets I would not have made it that far over on the beach to find that coin.
So thanks for the tip Steve!!!

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good deal, Greg, glad I could help. Low tones only will skip a lot of trash if coins are what you are after. Silver dollars are rarer than 1 ounce gold nuggets. I have only ever found one in all these years of detecting, and ironically I found it in a tailing pile while nugget detecting. I have done well at old beaches finding old coins with PI detectors so the ATX did for you 100% of what I expect from owning one. I am sending a link to this thread to Steve Moore at Garrett, he will love it!

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greg... that is a super find... congratulations!!! :icon_thumleft:

I think that any finds made with a prospecting-capable detector are suitable for posting to this forum... adds to the variety of what we see here...

Jim.

Bearkat

Aug 12, 2007
Medford, Oregon
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Infinium LS/ Ace 250/ Scorpion Gold Stinger/AT Gold/AT Pro
Good job Greg! Any coin that is silver and pre 1900 is quite a rare and an awesome find! Get some more...

Bearkat

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find !! Glad to see the ATX is working for you

Cheers - Koffee

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fantastic find--thanks for posting it!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread